Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Should america forget the 9/11??? (Page 9)

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hindu4lyf

*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Despite all of that, though I will say that I don't like being judged off of my brown skin. And unfortunately, such prejudice has developed, one cannot do much to change it

Its very irksome indeed. Especially when you are like me. I get judged for being a Paki (apparently the entire subcontinent is one big country called Paki Tongue) . I look Hispanic and get treated like I'm some Ne Hablos Ingles. And then Hispanics themselves think I'm Hispanic and think I'm some race traitor cos I'm a Ne Hablos Espanol or some cholo. Then occasionally people who know Hebrew ask me if Im Jewish because of my name. I actually enjoy that and say, why yes I am a Princess. I'm not Jewish American, but I can be Princess.

Oh wow, you're all over the map, aren't you? LOL Well, I was usually only asked if I'm Indian. Now, after 9/11, suddenly everyone knows that Aisa isn't limited to India and China, and they've discovered other countries like Pakistan and all the Middle East to incorrectly guess my nationality. Wow, Jewish? I must say that is one that I do not get. LOL

As far as Hispanics go, I do not understand how Hispanics mistake us for being Hispanic. I mean, is it only the desis that can spot another desi from a mile away? The Hispanics start chattering away in some Spanish dialect or another and when I say "no habla espanol", its apparently an invitation to continue speaking Spanish. Three years of Spanish in high school went down the drain.
Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:05pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
Ajnu my first name is originally Hebrew. The Russian Tsarina or Czarina is the Cyrillic derivative of it. So people who know Hebrew usually get thrown off because they are like you are not Jewish, how come you have an Old Hebrew word as your name.
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Originally posted by Gauri_3

If by celebs you mean SRK - he made a mountain out of a molehill.    He is more than welcome  to not come back to the US.  Per jo insaan teen crore rupaye key liye begani shadiyon mein naachta phirta hai woh wapas US mein naachney kyoon naheen aayega?  SRK lost this fan after his moronic outburst after what was just a routine check when he was visiting US out of his own free will.

Oh c'mon now, di. Don't tell me you can resist that awfully charming smile. EmbarrassedLOL I know, shoo, he's SRK and all, but didn't he know what was coming for him, traveling to the US? You don't see me making a big deal about what I have to go through at the airport. Granted I'm not SRK or anything, but why is it normal procedure when its me and outright prejudice when its him?

Despite all of that, though I will say that I don't like being judged off of my brown skin. And unfortunately, such prejudice has developed, one cannot do much to change it

Yep, I am not charmed by his smile anymore.  At last, I am out of his influence over meLOL

On bolded part - we all know the resources are limited and only so much could be spent on security.  Where would you expect them to spend it on then - thoroughly checking each and every white guy that enters the U.S. or the folks who happen to share the background with those who are known to bomb places all around the world?  You call it prejudice - I call it smart allocation of scarce resources. 

Let's face it - 9/11 changed the way world travels - especially travels across international borders.  No point in looking at places where the probability of finding something fishy is close to nil. 

Well, they may not be right or wrong in doing it, they have every reason to, but it still is a discrimination of sorts. You're still basing that very judgment on the pure basis of an origin of a name or skin color. Perhaps its only to allocate scarce resources and to create a more efficient safety system, but in the end, you can't deny that its not discrimination. Granted they have valid reasons, that even I support, because it logically makes sense, but that does not change the fact that your traveling experience will be different based upon who you are.

9/11 certainly changed not only how the world travels, but I think it changed the very face of the planet. It changed how the common person thinks or behaves in certain situations. In the end, we all suck it up and take it as common procedure, knowing that it is for our safety when we are traveling. Having said that, the discrimination that I'm referring to, goes beyond the airport security lines, and into the minds of the common folks, and unfortunately that is something that is something we cannot change because of circumstances.
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Ajnu my first name is originally Hebrew. The Russian Tsarina or Czarina is the Cyrillic derivative of it. So people who know Hebrew usually get thrown off because they are like you are not Jewish, how come you have an Old Hebrew word as your name.

Oh, wow, your name is Sarina, then. I thought perhaps this was an online forum name. Yes, it is quite interesting how your name originates from Hebrew. You sure you're not a Jew? Just kidding. LOL
Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:19pm | IP Logged

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

angelic_devilhindu4lyf

Gauri_3 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:20pm | IP Logged

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

Go to top