Debate Mansion

Should america forget the 9/11??? (Page 8)

Post Reply New Post

Page 8 of 19

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

After reading Sarina's post, I remembered that this topic had an actual purpose. So, going straight off the topic, obviously one cannot expect the US to "forget" 9/11. Can India forget the Mumbai bombings? That is a silly question to ask. Imagine asking that to someone who lost a family member or friend in one of these terrorist acts. Having said that, we all generalize, we all stereotype, and we all are damned hypocrites, and deep down inside, we all know it. So justifying it ain't going to do anybody any good.

You say in few words what it takes me a yard of paper. Big smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Should america forget the 9/11??? (Page 8)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:43pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

If by celebs you mean SRK - he made a mountain out of a molehill.    He is more than welcome  to not come back to the US.  Per jo insaan teen crore rupaye key liye begani shadiyon mein naachta phirta hai woh wapas US mein naachney kyoon naheen aayega?  SRK lost this fan after his moronic outburst after what was just a routine check when he was visiting US out of his own free will.

Oh c'mon now, di. Don't tell me you can resist that awfully charming smile. EmbarrassedLOL I know, shoo, he's SRK and all, but didn't he know what was coming for him, traveling to the US? You don't see me making a big deal about what I have to go through at the airport. Granted I'm not SRK or anything, but why is it normal procedure when its me and outright prejudice when its him?

Despite all of that, though I will say that I don't like being judged off of my brown skin. And unfortunately, such prejudice has developed, one cannot do much to change it

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged

After reading Sarina's post, I remembered that this topic had an actual purpose. So, going straight off the topic, obviously one cannot expect the US to "forget" 9/11. Can India forget the Mumbai bombings? That is a silly question to ask. Imagine asking that to someone who lost a family member or friend in one of these terrorist acts. Having said that, we all generalize, we all stereotype, and we all are damned hypocrites, and deep down inside, we all know it. So justifying it ain't going to do anybody any good.

I disagree.  Can't be counting all in this blanket statement.  There are folks out there who stand up to their own folks if they believe they are wrong.  Just because some don't stand up and blame others to defend their lack of integrity, we can't go around claiming that everyone does the same. 

Nah everyone is a hypocrite at some time or another. Everyone generalizes and stereotypes sometime or another. Of course everyone has the positive moments where we take the stand for what is right. But we all also have our human moment where emotions or lack of better judgment make us act questionable.

I would be lying if I said I've never looked at a black man suspiciously because he was black.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged

I disagree.  Can't be counting all in this blanket statement.  There are folks out there who stand up to their own folks if they believe they are wrong.  Just because some don't stand up and blame others to defend their lack of integrity, we can't go around claiming that everyone does the same. 

Well, I think we, as human beings, are prone to generalizing and stereotyping. We do not do it intentionally, but it just happens. Generalizations and stereotypes go beyond race, nationality, and color. Perhaps some people are more prone to make such cruel stereotypes due to whatever mindset they've developed, and others are able to stay away from them, but I personally believe that nobody is perfect. We sit here (even on this very forum) and generalize and stereotype every single day. Just because we all do it doesn't make it morally right.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:51pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

You say in few words what it takes me a yard of paper. Big smile

Yeah, except you do a better job of it. LOL

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:53pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Nah everyone is a hypocrite at some time or another. Everyone generalizes and stereotypes sometime or another. Of course everyone has the positive moments where we take the stand for what is right. But we all also have our human moment where emotions or lack of better judgment make us act questionable.

I would be lying if I said I've never looked at a black man suspiciously because he was black.

Bingo. We all have these predeveloped stereotypes in our minds. A few of them are our own, and most of them are what society/family/culture/religion has so generously bestowed upon us. Sometimes, if you look closely enough, you can see why a specific stereotype was made, and what gave rise to it, and if you look even closer, you can realize that its just a generalization, and that you cannot base your opinions upon it.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 10 September 2009 at 9:55pm | IP Logged

Despite all of that, though I will say that I don't like being judged off of my brown skin. And unfortunately, such prejudice has developed, one cannot do much to change it

Its very irksome indeed. Especially when you are like me. I get judged for being a Paki (apparently the entire subcontinent is one big country called Paki Tongue) . I look Hispanic and get treated like I'm some Ne Hablos Ingles. And then Hispanics themselves think I'm Hispanic and think I'm some race traitor cos I'm a Ne Hablos Espanol or some cholo. Then occasionally people who know Hebrew ask me if Im Jewish because of my name. I actually enjoy that and say, why yes I am a Princess. I'm not Jewish American, but I can be Princess.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top