Debate Mansion

Should public transport in India be privatised?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 5

Page 1
Page   of 5
Page 2 Page 5

kickass1

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 7:48am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Should public transport in India be privatised?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged

kickass1

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 9:10am | IP Logged

casper2

Goldie

casper2

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 10:12am | IP Logged
nice topic. The public transport in most cities in India is deplorable. Mumbai is still better.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 10:23pm | IP Logged
A private company is in business to provide bottom line profits to the investors. The government exists to provide service to the public.

Privatization may seem like a solution to pitfalls in government run services, but is not the most ideal alternative. Without the government the Indian railroad system could have been like the United States.

The status of domestic flights is more than deplorable, but the country has a skeletal railways system and resists investment in the building railroads on par with Europe and Asia. The highway system is great, and one can drive cross country in record times, but I'd rather have curled up in sleeper compartment than drive to NOLA.

Indian railways does something. I'm glad that with Konkan railway I can get from Bombay to Goa faster without having to change trains at Miraj. Perhaps Indians find it a problem, but I find Indian railways to be much more comfortable, convenient, cost effective and even safe in comparison to domestic flights in USA.

Sure thing there are no stowaways traveling on the wings of the plane, but by the time we take off from O'Hare my knees will be dead by lack of circulation, and by the grace of God the take off the same day it was scheduled. In fact I am confident that I can race any domestic flight from O'Hare into the rest of the Midwest.

Also when I travel by Indian Railways I do not have to pay half my ticket price for baggage check in. If there are delays I do not have to stew in tin can full of strangers. I can at least get a breath of fresh air, and buy some human consumable food.

Seriously after enduring domestic private air travel in the United States, when I visit India next I am going to hug a train and almost make out with one. Cause perhaps for an Indian, Indian railways must be a deplorable thing, but from here the thought of an Indian train makes me fall in love.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

gin_ger_aleangelic_devilU-No-Poo

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 11:18pm | IP Logged
Public Sector who are already profit making should not be privatise, and why it should be ? best eg: Indian Railway/Airways...Government wants to see those type employee who are not interested in his works give V.R.S. or compulsory retireSmile
Govt have some responsiblities to help/give the best to ordinery peoples..It is nonsense to assume that a private company will be better managed than a public one. Each has their own pressures.....the GOVERN_MENT is supposed to "govern" not run businesses as simple as that.Smile

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 08 September 2009 at 11:57pm | IP Logged

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 09 September 2009 at 12:07am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angelic_devil

Originally posted by Believe

Public Sector who are already profit making should not be privatise, and why it should be ? best eg: Indian Railway/Airways...Government wants to see those type employee who are not interested in his works give V.R.S. or compulsory retireSmile
Govt have some responsiblities to help/give the best to ordinery peoples..It is nonsense to assume that a private company will be better managed than a public one. Each has their own pressures.....the GOVERN_MENT is supposed to "govern" not run businesses as simple as that.Smile

u mean to say govt. should give everything for free to people now. free travel all around the country? we have special fares for seniors, special trains for SC/ST at the time of dikhsha bhumi.
Not everything free,  govt is should not work like company or other bussines concern thats wat I said....Atleast basic education should be free those who are under poverty line Smile

if they wont make profit then how will they provide welfare.--uff u dont knw about the TAX's systems in India
 for providing welfare also they need money. and concluding that people from govt. sector dont work and from private sectors work is a myth. --In lots private sectors govt investing MoneySmilehow the farmers and other people live in our country more than 40% people doing farmings in this country...Govt givs subsidies n other loan to cultivate crops ...but a private company cant give much help to poor people...SmilePrivetisation is not a solution..Smile

Edited by Believe - 09 September 2009 at 12:08am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top