Joined: 16 June 2007
Join now and Simply tell us what makes you like Rani
Rani Mukerji (Bengali: , Hindi: ???? ???????) born on March 21, 1978, is a six-time Filmfare Award-winning Indian film actress who appears in Bollywood films.
Making her acting debut with Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat (1996), Mukerji had her first commercial success with Karan Johar's romance Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), her biggest commercial success so far, and won a Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award for her performance. She later starred in many films, most of which fared below expectations. She returned her success with Saathiya (2002), which was commercially and critically successful. In 2004, her performances in the hit Hum Tum and the critically acclaimed Yuva earned her the Best Actress and the Best Supporting Actress awards at the Filmfare, making her the first actress to win two major awards in the same year, a feat she accomplished at many other award ceremonies. She received unanimous praise for her role as a deaf-blind girl in the film Black (2005), as well as many awards for her memorable performance.
She has been part of several commercially successful films and has delivered a myriad of critically acclaimed performances, establishing herself as one of the most successful actresses in Bollywood.
While in school at the age of 14, Mukerji did a cameo role in her father's Bengali film Biyar Phool (1992). In 1996 she played the protagonist of Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat (1996). When the film was unsuccessful at the box office, Mukerji returned to college to complete her education.
Mukerji's first release in 1998 was Ghulam opposite Aamir Khan, which did very well at the box office.Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998) came next, starring Shahrukh Khan and Kajol. The movie was a blockbuster, and for her role in it she received her first Filmfare Award in the Best Supporting Actress category.
After this she signed on several projects. Unfortunately, most of the movies did not do well at the box office. However, Badal was one of the highest grossing films of 2000.
The year also had her in the lead role of Mujhse Dosti Karoge! (2002) opposite Hrithik Roshan which was her first film with India's biggest production house: Yash Raj Films. Although, the movie did not do well in India, it generated great business overseas, especially in the United Kingdom.Mukerji's next release was Saathiya where she played a medical student who deals with the tensions and discontent of married life. The movie was amongst the top five grossing movies of the year. The film was critically appreciated.
In 2003, her movie Chalte Chalte opposite Shah Rukh Khan was a hit.She received various nominations in the "Best Actress" category at all award ceremonies.
In 2004, Mukerji's performance in Yuva was critically acclaimed, and won her the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award; the movie did not do well at the box office. Her next film was Hum Tum, which was commercially successful and also won her the Filmfare Best Actress Award that year.Her last film that year, Yash Chopra's Veer-Zaara, was the top grossing movie of the year.Mukerji's performance as a Pakistani lawyer in the love saga was critically acclaimed and earned her several awards.
In 2005, Mukerji starred in four high-profile films: Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Black, Shaad Ali's Bunty Aur Babli, Amol Palekar's Paheli and Ketan Mehta's The Rising. Mukerji received critical acclaim for her performance in Black for which she collected many trophies in the category of "Best Actress" at various award ceremonies. When Bhansali first came to Mukerji with the offer, she turned it down. Mukerji stated that she was not confident enough to play such a role as she had no knowledge on the deaf and blind. Once the director put faith in her, she agreed to do it and intensely studied sign language with professionals. To prepare for her role in Black, she had to go through six to seven months of training at the Helen Keller Institute in Mumbai. Her next release, Bunty Aur Babli, surfaced as one of the biggest hits of the year, simultaneously becoming her fourth successive hit.
Mukerji was offered the lead role in Hollywood film, The Namesake but owing to clashing dates with Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, she could not commit to Mira Nair's project.Mukerji had two releases in 2006. The first was Karan Johar's Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, the film opened to mixed reviews but emerged as the most successful movie ever overseas. Mukerji's next release was B.R. Chopra's Baabul. An unprecedented Rs. 4 crore was paid to Mukerji for her role in the movie. Although much hyped, the movie did not do well at the box office in India but proved to be a hit overseas.
Mukerji's first release of 2007 was Ta Ra Rum Pum where she played a mother for the first time on celluloid.The movie was a semi-hit at the box office.
In recent times, Mukerji is collaborating with her brother to set up a Television studio.
Mukerji comes from a film-oriented family of Bengali origin. Her father Ram Mukherjee is a retired director and one of the founders of Filmalaya Studios. Her mother Krishna was a playback singer. Her brother Raja Mukherjee is a film producer, now turned director. Her maternal aunt, Debashree Roy, is a national award-winning Bengali film actress and her cousin Kajol is a popular Bollywood actress.
Mukerji is a trained Odissi dancer, and began learning the dance in the tenth grade. Mukerji studied at Maneckji Cooper High School in Juhu, and later enrolled at Mithibai College in Mumbai.
Gossip columnists have linked Mukerji to many industry figures, but she has strongly denied every single rumor of romance.Several gossip columns have also claimed that she is regularly in feud with some of the Bollywood actors and actresses, but Mukerji has denied this.
Mukerji changed the English transliteration of her surname from Mukherjee to Mukerji several years ago. At the time, it was reported that she did this for numerological reasons. In 2006, Mukerji stated that numerology was not a concern; her name had been put down as Mukerji on her passport, and she wanted to be consistent.
In June 2005, Mukerji was widely criticized following the publication of an interview with British newspaper Desi Xpress. Mukerji was asked to name her idol and she replied, "Adolf Hitler". However, in an interview with Times Now a year later, she denied ever mentioning Hitler's name.
In November 2006, Mukerji was shooting a film in Varanasi when avid fans crowded the set. Security personnel beat the crowd back with sticks. A media storm followed as various groups insisted that Mukerji should have stopped the security guards. Mukerji later issued an apology.
In March 2004, Mukerji visited the sandy dunes of Rajasthan to boost the morale of the jawans. It was for a show where entertainers and stars visit Indian troops in far-flung regions to encourage them along with the NDTV team.
In February 2005, Mukerji performed at the HELP! Telethon Concert to help raise money for the victims of Tsunami in company with other Bollywood stars.
She was highly involved in the Temptations 2005 show in New Delhi. The actress helped to raise funds for the National Centre For Promotional of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP), a leading disabled rights' group.Shahrukh Khan and Priyanka Chopra were also amongst the many who contributed to this cause.
Later in 2007, one of Mukerji's sari's in Baabul, designed by Sabyasachi Mukherjee, was auctioned off at a charity dinner. The proceeds went towards a home for girls who live on the Howrah platforms.
Mukerji donated her prize money, her half-share of 50 lakh rupees from her 2007 appearance on Kaun Banega Crorepati with Preity Zinta, to the Holy Family Hospital. She said that this institution looks after children with heart problems which is a major setback in India.
The actress has been an active stage performer and has participated in numerous world tours. Her first world tour was in the year 1999 with Aamir Khan, Aishwarya Rai, Akshaye Khanna and Twinkle Khanna. It was called the Magnificent Five. The show was widely watched in every city where it was showcased.
Five years later, Temptations 2004 came along. It was the most successful Bollywood concert in its time. Mukerji performed alongside Shahrukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Preity Zinta, Arjun Rampal and Priyanka Chopra in nineteen stage shows across the globe.
In 2005, Mukerji was a guest of honour at a state dinner to greet General Pervez Musharraf in company of the Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh. The government found out that she was Begum Musharraf's favourite Bollywood star and invited her. Mukerji was the only Bollywood star on the elite guest list.
She appeared along with various other Bollywood actors at the Closing Ceremony of the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, as part of a performance showcasing Indian culture, on behalf of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, to be held in Delhi.For her three minutes dance act alongside Saif Ali Khan,she was reportedly paid 1.5 crore rupees.
In early 2007, the actress performed with Saif Ali Khan at Vaux-le-Vicomte for Lakshmi Mittal's guests at his daughter's wedding.
In the media
Rani Mukerji was on the top slot of the Filmfare's 'Top Ten Bollywood Actresses' Listing for the last three years in a row (2004-2006).She was also placed first on the Rediff's 'Top Bollywood Female Stars' Rankings again for a third consecutive year (2004-2006).
In February 2006, Filmfare Magazine placed her eighth among the "Ten Most Powerful Names of Bollywood", an achievement she repeated from the previous year.In 2007, she was again the only woman on the list but ranked higher at number five.
On Women's International Day 2007, Mukerji came in the fourth position on the All-Time Best Bollywood Actresses Ever Listing after Madhuri Dixit, Madhubala and Nargis.
She was placed at number #36 by UK magazine Eastern Eye as one of "Asia's Sexiest Women" (Sept/2006). Mukerji was listed on Rediff's 'Bollywood's Most Beautiful Actresses'. In 2007, she was featured in the list of Rediff's Best Dressed Actresses.
Mukerji appeared twice in Karan Johar's talk show Koffee with Karan. She appeared with Kareena Kapoor in 2004. Her second appearance was during the first episode of the second season along with Shahrukh Khan and Kajol. She made her third appearance with Madhuri Dixit as a surprise guest.
she appeared on her best cham shahrukh's show kya aap panchvi pass se tez hain wid karan johar in 2008. she also had gala time in salu's show dus ka dum wid lara dutta. she recently launched hi-blitz magazine. Her Latest hi blitz hotoshoot is hotest in league. on sep 12 she is going to re appear on dus ka dum wid shahid kapoor to promote her next di bole haddipa.
on sep 18 her much awaited film dil bole haddipa is going to release.
Awards and honours
* 1998, Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
* 2002, Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance, Saathiya
* 2004, Filmfare Best Actress Award, Hum Tum
* 2004, Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award, Yuva
* 2005, Filmfare Best Actress Award, Black
* 2005, Filmfare Critics Award for Best Performance, Black
* 2000, Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award, Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega
* 2002, Filmfare Best Actress Award, Saathiya
* 2003, Filmfare Best Actress Award, Chalte Chalte
* 2005, Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award, Veer-Zaara
* 2006, Filmfare Best Actress Award, Bunty Aur Babli
* 2007, Filmfare Best Actress Award, KANK
Rani Mukerji is the first and only actress to have ever won both the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress trophies in a single year (2004) at the Filmfare.
Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards
* 2003, Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards, Best Actress (Hindi Movies), Saathiya
* 2006, Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards, Best Actress (Hindi Movies), Black
Star Screen Awards
* 1997, Star Screen Awards Best Fresh Talent, Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat
* 2003, Star Screen Awards Special Jury Award, Saathiya
* 2005, Star Screen Award Best Actress, Hum Tum
* 2005, Star Screen Award Best Supporting Actress, Yuva
* 2006, Star Screen Award Best Actress, Black
* 2006, Star Screen Award Jodi No. 1 (Rani & Abhishek Bachchan) for Bunty Aur Babli
* 2007, Star Screen Award Jodi No. 1 (Rani & Shahrukh Khan) for KANK
* 2003, Star Screen Award Best Actress, Saathiya
* 2004, Star Screen Award Best Actress, Chalte Chalte
* 2005, Star Screen Award Best Supporting Actress, Veer Zaara
* 2005, Star Screen Award Jodi No. 1 (Rani & Abhishek Bachchan) for Yuva
Zee Cine Awards
* 1999, Zee Cine Award Best Actor in a Supporting Role- Female for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
* 1999, Zee Cine Awards, Lux Face of the Year, Ghulam & Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
* 2005, Zee Cine Award Best Actor- Female, Hum Tum
* 2006, Zee Cine Award Best Actor- Female, Black
* 2003, Zee Cine Award Best Actor- Female, Saathiya
* 2004, Zee Cine Award Best Actor- Female, Chalte Chalte
* 2005, Zee Cine Award Best Actor in a Supporting Role- Female for Yuva
* 2006, Zee Cine Award Best Actor- Female, Bunty Aur Babli
* 2007, Zee Cine Award Best Actor- Female, KANK
International Indian Film Academy Awards
* 2005, IIFA Best Supporting Actress Award for Veer-Zaara
* 2005, IIFA Best Actress Award for Hum Tum
* 2006, IIFA Best Actress Award for Black
* 2007, IIFA Best Actress Award for Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna
* 2003, IIFA Best Actress Award for Saathiya
* 2004, IIFA Best Actress Award for Chalte Chalte
* 2005, IIFA Best Supporting Actress Award for Yuva
* 2006, IIFA Best Actress Award for Bunty Aur Babli
Bollywood Movie Awards
* 2003, Bollywood Movie Award - Critics Award Female, Saathiya
* 2005, Bollywood Movie Award - Best Actress, Hum Tum
* 2005, Bollywood Movie Award - Best Supporting Actress, Yuva
* 2003, Bollywood Movie Award - Best Actress, Saathiya
* 2004, Bollywood Movie Award - Best Actress, Chalte Chalte
* 2006, Bollywood Movie Award - Best Actress, Black
* 2007, Bollywood Movie Award - Best Actress, KANK
Star's Sabsey Favourite Kaun Awards
* 2005, Star's Sabsey Favourite Heroine, Hum Tum & Veer-Zaara
* 2006, Star's Sabsey Favourite Heroine, Black
* 2007, Star's Sabsey Favourite Heroine, KANK
* 2006, Stardust Star of the Year Award - Female, Black
* 2004, Stardust Star of the Year Award - Female, Chalte Chalte
* 2005, Stardust Best Supporting Actress Award, Yuva
* 2005, Stardust Star of the Year Award - Female, Hum Tum
* 2006, Stardust Star of the Year Award - Female, Bunty Aur Babli
* 2007, Stardust Star of the Year Award - Female, KANK
Global Indian Film Awards
* 2005, GIFA Best Actress for Hum Tum
* 2006, GIFA Best Actress for KANK
Sports World Awards
* 2005, Sports World Awards Best Actress, Hum Tum
* 2005, Sports World Awards Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Veer-Zaara
* 2005, Sports World Jodi of the Year (Saif Ali Khan and Rani Mukerji) for Hum Tum
* 2005, Cinegoers Awards Best Actress, Hum Tum
* 2005, Cinegoers Awards Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Veer-Zaara
MTV Lycra Awards
* 2005, The Lycra' MTV Style Awards Most Stylish in Films
* 2003, Sansui Awards Jury's Choice Best Actress, Saathiya
BBC Film Cafe
* 2004, BBC Film Cafe Best Actress, Chalte Chalte
* 2006, BBC Film Cafe Best Actress, Black
* 2007, BBC Film Cafe Best Actress, KANK
* 2007, AIFA Awards Best Actress, Baabul
* 2006, Bollywood People's Choice Best Actress, Black
* 2006, 2nd Apsara Awards Best Actress, Black
* 2005, Anandolok Puroshkar Awards Best Actress, Black
* 2005, Bollywood Fashion Awards Celebrity Style Female Award
* 2003, Anandolok Puroshkar Awards Best Actress, Saathiya
* 2004, Rajiv Gandhi Award
* The actress was honored by a largely foreign audience of 50,000 at the Casablanca Film Festival (2005) in Morocco where four of her movies were presented
love srk (Marium dii)
*kuch na kaho* (Nabu) (nabs)
Feel Free to use any
Joined: 07 August 2008
Joined: 07 August 2008
Joined: 07 August 2008
Joined: 07 August 2008
Joined: 07 August 2008
Joined: 07 August 2008
Joined: 07 August 2008
|Topics||Topic Starter||Replies||Views||Last Post|
|rani mukerji fanclub||cutykoo20||474||33367||23 February 2012 at 11:53am
|IF Exclusive -- Celebrating Rani's bday March 21st!||Cutiepie Rani||85||9201||21 March 2010 at 11:06pm
|IF Exclusive - Celebrating Rani's bday March 21st!||Cutiepie Rani||1||2059||21 March 2010 at 12:05pm
|rani mukerji fanclub .HAV FUN HERE)))))))||cutykoo20||1190||35320||28 October 2009 at 12:51pm
|####Shani Fanclub####-P111-Rani toks abt Charulata||Mehak_Luvs_Rani||1195||26260||16 October 2009 at 2:23pm