Miley Jab Hum Tum

Stereotypes In Tv industries! Article pg 5 - Page 4

xaviara thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Hey Naimy !! Excellent topic !! I definitely agree with you about the sterotyping in the tv inductries !! All of u have given so many examples, soI'll give one too and that is Gunjan's character !! Why is it always shown on tv that if a gurl is shy, she cannot speak up or stand up for herself ? I can understand her fear of talking in front of a huge crowd or being the center of people's attention but why is it that she is shown that she cannot even talk on one to one basis ? or that she needs someone to stand up for her when she is bashed or accused for something she hasnt done ? Why is she left to be kept quiet in the backgroud while the rest of her peers give their opinion, especially when she is supposed to be the topper in her class ? I'm a very shy and a reserved person too, I prefer to be with close friends and family, and not mix in with a huge crowd, but at the same time i help my dad run our business and if someone says something to me, I definitely dont keep mute and let a friend or my sis stand up for me !! Or when i'm with my friends and we are dicussing something, i always participate and share my opinion !!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Namz94 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: xaviara

Hey Naimy !! Hi NavzD Excellent topic !! Thankyou I definitely agree with you about the sterotyping in the tv inductries !! All of u have given so many examples, soI'll give one too and that is Gunjan's character !! Why is it always shown on tv that if a gurl is shy, she cannot speak up or stand up for herself ?

Exactly, girls are always shown as weak people on Tv who NEED support from others, if thats how its shown on Tv, what the hell are others supposed to think?!  I can understand her fear of talking in front of a huge crowd or being the center of people's attention but why is it that she is shown that she cannot even talk on one to one basis ? Correct, im sure even the shyest of people say hi, Gunjan doesnt even do that, it looks really fake, im sure she could talk with benji or something, but even that doesnt happen, why? because people are hell bent on showing girls as weak and quiet people who need to hold fingers to move in life! 
or that she needs someone to stand up for her when she is bashed or accused for something she hasnt done ?
Thats something that annoys me the most Navz D, NO body will stay quiet COMPLETELY if they are being abbused, im sure they would say atleast something back, but Gunjan is always shown as the "Damsel in distress" shedding tears, what is this trying to prove, that girls dont do anything but cry and rely on others?! 
Why is she left to be kept quiet in the backgroud while the rest of her peers give their opinion, especially when she is supposed to be the topper in her class ?
Spot on, shes clever yet she is given no Opinion on these issues, evn when Dia was being accused, though she comforted Dia, she should have gave a right slap to Rv, coz if someone did that to my cousin, that guy is in for a right bash! so i cant understand how Gunjan could just stand there, even nupur said something to Rv, yet Gunjan was shown watching the "thamasha"  
I'm a very shy and a reserved person too, I prefer to be with close friends and family, and not mix in with a huge crowd, but at the same time i help my dad run our business and if someone says something to me, I definitely dont keep mute and let a friend or my sis stand up for me !! Same here, i wont let someone help me, coz i know im not weak and CAN defend myself, yet Gunjan is shown as a child who cant do anything herself. Being shy and reserved doesnt mean you are weak and al you do is cry, wake up creatives!
Or when i'm with my friends and we are dicussing something, i always participate and share my opinion !!
im sure everyone does that, i do too, but thats not shown in Mjht why? beacause Gunjan is supposed to be shy, which means what? She has no opinion! BS!
Thanks for commenting ๐Ÿ˜Š

CookMySock thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Heya Naima. Fabulous topic. Totally agree with you. Times are changing yet Indian television is still living in the olden days. Found this article a few days back. Check it out.

Ash-Preity, disaster at Cannes

It is raining Bollywood stars at Cannes but as usual their decision to wear western dress at prestigious film fest is being subjected to alot of criticism. While Preity Zinta was clad in a black cocktail dress and Aishwarya Rai went for a black Armani gown and a midnight blue Roberto Cavalli dress.

According to media reports, fashion commentator Shobhaa De said, "It is disaster, disaster, disaster. When India is the international flavour, why are our girls dressing like Marys off to church? Even if it is fusion wear, they should be showcasing our brilliant crafts.

Instead, they are looking like Hispanic nobodies- Penelope Cruz's handmaidens, Salma Hayek's dressers. Bollywood actresses should wear India with pride. If these women feel like behenjis in traditional Kanjeevarams, they can get themselves sexy saris. Especially at Cannes, people would understand. Why these dreadful dresses?"

Shobhaa was quoted saying by a newspaper that Indian women don't have the bodies to carry Western clothes. "We don't know how to stand in these frocks. Look at Preity. Her legs are going all over, her body language is all wrong. We are not used to Western clothes. Our legs let us down."

According to most of the Indian designers, Indian outfits are held in great awe among the westerners and our film stars should have represented that. Designer Manish Malhotra who designed a sari for Preity holds that India should be the theme of Bollywood fashion at Cannes and the outfits should showcase genuine Indian craftsmanship.

What exactly is this woman trying to say...That if we wear Indian we are Indian. When I go parties and stuff I wear knee length or maybe dresses above that all the time but that doesn't make me un-Indian. I mean I wear western clothes all the time. It's women like these that make other women feel bad and therefore impose this sati-savitri image of women in society.

Knowalot2 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
= my replies are in pink๐Ÿ˜Š

This content was originally posted by: xaviara

Hey Naimy !! Excellent topic !!
= I couldn't agree more, Naima's a star for making this topic

I definitely agree with you about the sterotyping in the tv inductries !! All of u have given so many examples, soI'll give one too and that is Gunjan's character !! Why is it always shown on tv that if a gurl is shy, she cannot speak up or stand up for herself ?
= Exactly...This is an excellent point๐Ÿ‘- this is why I'm starting to love Nupur's character (although her personality does have flaws at times). And then there's Mayank who is also an ace in studies but he can stand up for himself....why can't Gunjan stand up?

I can understand her fear of talking in front of a huge crowd or being the center of people's attention but why is it that she is shown that she cannot even talk on one to one basis ? or that she needs someone to stand up for her when she is bashed or accused for something she hasnt done ?
= I'm a bit like Gunjan....but I'll be honest. The problem is, is that they've GLAMOURISED her role...suggesting that SHY and QUIET girls have more attractive personalities!!- and this is WRONG...becoz it is suggesting that girls should keep quiet and stop giving out their views and opinions on important topics!
Why is she left to be kept quiet in the backgroud while the rest of her peers give their opinion, especially when she is supposed to be the topper in her class ?
= Agree! I have the same problem as Gunjan and was in the exact position! BUT shouldn't SHYNESS and being QUIET all the time be DISCOURAGED? Instead this show is kind of glamourising this fact that girls should be like Gunjan?- the target audience for this show are YOUNG girls as well!- this has a negative impact on these young kids!

I'm a very shy and a reserved person too, I prefer to be with close friends and family, and not mix in with a huge crowd, but at the same time i help my dad run our business and if someone says something to me,
= Awesome๐Ÿ‘
I definitely dont keep mute and let a friend or my sis stand up for me !! Or when i'm with my friends and we are dicussing something, i always participate and share my opinion !!

=  Exactly, and well done for this. Same with me...when I was younger I always used to be so shy, quiet and yet I topped in class (apologies for my big-headedness๐Ÿ˜†). BUT now I've realised...that we should talk and give OUR opinions and SPEAK OUT for ourselves!

Gunjan should also be more talkative and needs to stand up for herself!

EITHER THIS

OR

make MAYANK shy and quiet like Gunjan is! Then it would be fair!

..... as then it would be saying that boys ALSO are allowed to be quiet and shy and this is acceptable in society!!!!

Edited by Knowalot2 - 14 years ago
Namz94 thumbnail
My Comments in purple ๐Ÿ˜Š

This content was originally posted by: StarryEyedGyal

Heya Naima.  Hi  Fabulous topic. Thankyou Totally agree with you. Times are changing yet Indian television is still living in the olden days.  Found this article a few days back. Check it out.

Ash-Preity, disaster at Cannes

It is raining Bollywood stars at Cannes but as usual their decision to wear western dress at prestigious film fest is being subjected to alot of criticism. While Preity Zinta was clad in a black cocktail dress and Aishwarya Rai went for a black Armani gown and a midnight blue Roberto Cavalli dress.

According to media reports, fashion commentator Shobhaa De said, "It is disaster, disaster, disaster. When India is the international flavour, why are our girls dressing like Marys off to church? Even if it is fusion wear, they should be showcasing our brilliant crafts. Excuse me?! The dress isnt a disaster, the disastre is in your head, which makes you think that these ladies are dressing like mary's, what is wrong with western dresses?

Instead, they are looking like Hispanic nobodies- Penelope Cruz's handmaidens, Salma Hayek's dressers. Bollywood actresses should wear India with pride. They have been doing so for the last decades, times have changed and so have generations, yet one thing is still the same, peoples thinking! If these women feel like behenjis in traditional Kanjeevarams, they can get themselves sexy saris. Again did they personally tell you they feel like behenji's? you yourself are claiming that, so thats what you think of indian dress ware. Especially at Cannes, people would understand. Why these dreadful dresses?" From which angle are the dressed dreadful? i fail to see and understand.

Shobhaa was quoted saying by a newspaper that Indian women don't have the bodies to carry Western clothes. Here you are dissing your own self hun, whether its western or indian, its still clothes! Why are you diffrenciating?!  "We don't know how to stand in these frocks. Look at Preity. Her legs are going all over, her body language is all wrong. We are not used to Western clothes. Our legs let us down." Again you are dissing your own self, how do you know her body language is wrong? have you ever worn a dress like that to understand? yes you are not used to western clothes, coz you dont give tem a chance, wera them for a while then give us the review.

According to most of the Indian designers, Indian outfits are held in great awe among the westerners and our film stars should have represented that. Designer Manish Malhotra who designed a sari for Preity holds that India should be the theme of Bollywood fashion at Cannes and the outfits should showcase genuine Indian craftsmanship. Wrong, i think indian actors have been wearing indian clothes for decades now and represented it well which is why people in Uk, Usa and other western countries still wear indian clothes, people have "Awed" as much as they wanted, now try western for a change!

What exactly is this woman trying to say...BS! That if we wear Indian we are Indian. When I go parties and stuff I wear knee length or maybe dresses above that all the time but that doesn't make me un-Indian. I mean I wear western clothes all the time. It's women like these that make other women feel bad and therefore impose this sati-savitri image of women in society.  Its ridiculous, personally even i wear westerns, it doesnt make me any less asian either. Clothes do NOT tell somwones character, personality or upbringing. And Until these people open their eyes and see the world has changed, nothing is going to change, and Tv shows need to wake up soon too, coz thats whats influencing our society women even today, and until they stop portraying all this indian clothes= good, and western=bad, no one is gonna give western a chance.

Thanks for commenting and the article. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Knowalot2 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6

What exactly is this woman trying to say...That if we wear Indian we are Indian. When I go parties and stuff I wear knee length or maybe dresses above that all the time but that doesn't make me un-Indian. I mean I wear western clothes all the time. It's women like these that make other women feel bad and therefore impose this sati-savitri image of women in society.

What an irritating article?๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคข 
Thanks 4 posting Vandini๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘..this proved one point:
You see its not only men
its WOMEN in our society who are bringin OTHER women down๐Ÿ˜ก.
This should change!

Also this article is incredibly unprofessional LOL! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
isn't the first rule of journalism to be UN-BIASED??? And I haven't even studied Journalism..and I know this much!

Okay...if women are to wear Indian clothes in public?...THEN why do ALL men wear Western clothes (Shirts and Trousers)

I'll give you all an anecdote of my own. My dad's friend who came from India told me to wear Indian Sari's at home (I live in UK)..as well as his bahus...etc...
....I asked him (polietly of course)...why is it that YOU do not wear any Indian clothes at home (he HIMSELF was wearing a trouser, Shirt, Tie...etc). Why wasn't HE wearing an Indian Kurta/dhoti...wotever himself? He had no answer!

People need to be fair! and quit discriminating even on points that may seem tiny๐Ÿ˜ก

As sed b4......WE even discussed in that other thread that Gunjan and Nupur wear Indian suits..then why aren't Mayank and Samrat wearing Indian Kurtas?- totally biased!

"We don't know how to stand in these frocks. Look at Preity. Her legs are going all over, her body language is all wrong. We are not used to Western clothes. Our legs let us down."

Oh great? ๐Ÿคข (I don't get this quote)
so now they're saying that Indian people don't have good legs...oh come on!๐Ÿคข
I wear skirts in class during the summer...and I look better than other western girls in my school (again no big-headedness intended)!
This quote is jst ridiculous
๐Ÿคข

oh and Preity looks beautiful in dresses...in fact she's one of the most good-looking people in bollywood...- even a (non-Indian) Famous Australian Cricketer sed the same!

Edited by Knowalot2 - 14 years ago
Namz94 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Knowalot2

What an irritating article?๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคข  I agree
Thanks 4 posting Vandini๐Ÿ‘
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘..this proved one point:
You see its not only men
its WOMEN in our society who are bringin OTHER women down๐Ÿ˜ก.  Sick!
This should change! It NEEDS to!

Also this article is incredibly unprofessional LOL! ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†I know! ๐Ÿ˜†
isn't the first rule of journalism to be UN-BIASED??? And I haven't even studied Journalism..and I know this much!  Even i know that much, yet this article is completely Biased!

Okay...if women are to wear Indian clothes in public?...THEN why do ALL men wear Western clothes (Shirts and Trousers) Point! i demand guys to get rid of suits, coz thats western and wear Kurtas and sherwanis to award functions!

I'll give you all an anecdote of my own. My dad's friend who came from India told me to wear Indian Sari's at home (I live in UK)..as well as his bahus...etc... what?!
....I asked him (polietly of course)...why is it that YOU do not wear any Indian clothes at home (he HIMSELF was wearing a trouser, Shirt, Tie...etc). Why wasn't HE wearing an Indian Kurta/dhoti...wotever himself? He had no answer! Busted! thats what you should reply to all men who ask or tell you to wear sarres at home! well done Kanya. ๐Ÿ‘

People need to be fair! and quit discriminating even on points that may seem tiny๐Ÿ˜กDitto!

As sed b4......WE even discussed in that other thread that Gunjan and Nupur wear Indian suits..then why aren't Mayank and Samrat wearing Indian Kurtas?- totally biased! Ditto again!

Namz94 thumbnail
Kanya even i didnt get taht quote ๐Ÿ˜†
its like she herself dissed the women in her country, which is sad! ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿผ
i fail to undestand how she can kno how to cary out western dresses, when she hasnt tried it?! ๐Ÿ˜•
is it just me or does this article contain hypocrisy? ๐Ÿ˜•

Ps, no worries your big headed ness is excused ๐Ÿ˜†
CookMySock thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I'll reply in sometime. Need to catch up with LNMDJ..And on the point of Love Ne Mila Di Jodi. One of the leads Roshni ALWAYS wears short dresses yet she isn't portrayed as evil. Also..Another show Hum Dono Hai Alag Alag. One of the leads Avantika is shown in Western clothes yet she isn't evil.
luv_sweetz thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
agrre with u......but sum times the short dresse pahan ne waali girls bad bhi nikalti hai ..... like that KAMEEEEEEEEEENA...!