Miley Jab Hum Tum

India-Forums

Stereotypes In Tv industries! Article pg 5

Namz94 IF-Sizzlerz
Namz94
Namz94

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged
Hey Guys, i am back with yet another debating topic =D
Well most of us watch Television serials, whether thats one or a hundred, but we do find time in our lives for entertainment through Tv.

Television serials tend to be very stereotypical, the way the characters are shown, its like we have seen them before, people like Samrat, cool dude, im sure you have watched many other shows, where there is also a cool dude, Gunjan, the simple damsel in distress, thats in like every Tv show, and then theres Nupur, bubbly and full of life, you find those in other shows and then we have Mayank, dia, Uday, even they are found in others. But the character is developed through the story and by how the actor portrays teh character.

Now coming to the actuall topic, another stereotypical situation...
Usually when we watch a tv serial, we see the female main protoganist clad in sarees or salwar suits, and then her character develops to show a damsel in distress, the sati savitri type, who will do good deeds and pray to god.
And then enters the villain, who is clad in shork skirts and heavy make up, who turns out ot be evil and plots against the main protoganist.
But the point is, why is the lead always clad in sarees and suits? and the villain in short clothing?
Are Indian television industries, trying to prove that if youre in sarees you are good, and if you wear short dresses, you are bad?

The women in our society tend to watch alot of serials, therefore seeing these things they do get influenced and the issue portrayed on screen is saved into tehir head, therefore if they see a girl in short skirts, they automatically think shes evil and bad, and you should stay away from her, even if she turns out to be the nicest person in the world.
same goes for someone in a salwar suit, they end up thinking shes good, hang out with her, but she could be the meanest person in the neighborhood, and she is most likely to be a hypocrite.

I would love to hear your views as to why this is portrayed on screen? And why good people are clad in sarees and suits, while the negative roles are clad in mini's and dresses.
Please share.

Edited by _Naima1994_ - 31 August 2009 at 5:34am

The following 18 member(s) liked the above post:

twilightcrazyluv_sweetzscinerdinnocentdevil.parisbynightProdigalStudentDiscoDhokla.x.Saira.x.Bollywood_chicKnowalot2Eloquentsaher_90spiritcrimson-Rinky--MamuKiBhanji-kavya.brelentless.Badtameez_Dil

saher_90 IF-Veteran Member
saher_90
saher_90

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 5:48am | IP Logged
yea dear ur right agree with u..

I would love to hear your views as to why this is portrayed on screen? And why good people are clad in sarees and suits, while the negative roles are clad in mini's and dresses.
Please share.

dear if they'll show the neg charac in sarees so how will they look u think yaarLOLLOLLOLjoker" a villain shld wear full clothes its ok if they wear casuals instead of minis n allWinkbut if villians will wear saree the emotions n expressions wont comeoutr wht say?Winkim saying this only for the youth based villians not for saas bahu saagas Wink

so guys u agree with me na?

Edited by saher_90 - 30 August 2009 at 6:02am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Osprisshow

Namz94 IF-Sizzlerz
Namz94
Namz94

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 5:52am | IP Logged
Sehar thanks for commenting.Smile

Edited by _Naima1994_ - 30 August 2009 at 6:15am
Namz94 IF-Sizzlerz
Namz94
Namz94

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:14am | IP Logged
Originally posted by saher_90

Please share.

dear if they'll show the neg charac in sarees so how will they look u think yaarLOLLOLLOLjoker" a villain shld wear full clothes its ok if they wear casuals instead of minis n allWinkbut if villians will wear saree the emotions n expressions wont comeoutr wht say?Winkim saying this only for the youth based villians not for saas bahu saagas Wink

Okay but tahts not showing any realism na? i dont think someone should dress according to what character theyre playing, i mean a simple girl can also wear jeans an all but shes always in salwars, why?
Just like a villain even if tehy look a joker, if some one is mean, theyre gonna dress normal like you na? not like how someone portrays in onscreen, where even a child can tell shes bad, taht doesnt happen in real life, and its pathetic to show that in reel life too, coz its not true, and people do not dress according to whether theyre nice or not.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Knowalot2

saher_90 IF-Veteran Member
saher_90
saher_90

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Naima1994_

Please share.

Okay but tahts not showing any realism na? i dont think someone should dress according to what character theyre playing, i mean a simple girl can also wear jeans an all but shes always in salwars, why?
Just like a villain even if tehy look a joker, if some one is mean, theyre gonna dress normal like you na? not like how someone portrays in onscreen, where even a child can tell shes bad, taht doesnt happen in real life, and its pathetic to show that in reel life too, coz its not true, and people do not dress according to whether theyre nice or not.

its must yaar see i'll give u an eg..likeif gunjan wear casuals n dia wear salwaar kameez u think they'll look good aur their charac make any sense wi?no na thats y they potrayed the charac which will suit into his/her characWinkwht say?u can see mostly villians only wears sarees or minis they never wear salwar kameezWinky u answer me thisLOL
Namz94 IF-Sizzlerz
Namz94
Namz94

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:32am | IP Logged

Originally posted by _Naima1994_

Please share.

its must yaar see i'll give u an eg..likeif gunjan wear casuals n dia wear salwaar kameez u think they'll look good aur their charac make any sense wi?no na thats y they potrayed the charac which will suit into his/her characWinkwht say?u can see mostly villians only wears sarees or minis they never wear salwar kameezWinky u answer me thisLOL
Thats what i wanna know! LOL why are vllains never dressed like normal people and instead given heavy makeup, while the protoganist is in salwar suits with light make up? i mean even gunajn could have wore jeans and a kurta or something, but shes in salwar suits, why? thats the point of this topic, why do main leads have to be portrayed in salwar suits for?
even evil peopel can wear salwar suits, theyll still be eveil, but the Tv industry always makes the negatives roles dress in mini's or sleeveless bloused sareees, what iw anna know is why?
whether it looks stupid or not, even when im watching shows onscreen, it looks stupid to see the massive difference between the lead and viilain, im sure the prson you dont ike or dont get along with doesnt dress like taht in real life, where you can tell shes mean.
Knowalot2 IF-Rockerz
Knowalot2
Knowalot2

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:34am | IP Logged
Firstly can i say is that Naima your topics are very interesting to read..u shud win the best topic starter awardClapClapClap

I loved that other topic on the fact that RV shud be in jst as much trouble as Dia is:
Why Is The Girl Always Taunted??? =S

Okay back to this topic. Its true!Confused Maybe sub/un-consciously..but the public DO notice these things.

I was watching a TV serial..and in came one of the Vamps (villains)
...in came a pretty acteress wearing western clothes. My little cousin innocently asked...is she a bad girl? .....
there was no evil BG tune....or anything to show that her character is evil....but it was JUST her clothes!- (jst like Dia's and Sheena's)- why can't Gunjan and Nupur wear western clothes?

If the "good male characters" in serials can wear western clothes instead of a indian Kurtas...etc... ..then why do good female characters always have to wear Indian clothes?
..can't they also wear trousers and shirts like the men do?
is  sari/salwar kameez necessary for all "good female character"?

^^hope I've made senseLOL- do tell me if I haven'tLOL

not ONLY this...but its almost ALWAYS the male characters who are the boss! in these serials

...and the main female lead always comes frm a poorer backgroun.- this is sorta the case in MJHT...where Gunjan and Nupur are from a poorer background from Morena!- unlike Dia...where she comes frm a richer family..therefore initally she was the bad girl!!!

Just becoz a girl is rich doesn't necessarily mean that she's evil!

Clap

Edited by Knowalot2 - 30 August 2009 at 6:41am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

DiscoDhoklaNamz94relentless.

Namz94 IF-Sizzlerz
Namz94
Namz94

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 7:01am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Knowalot2

Firstly can i say is that Naima your topics are very interesting to read..u shud win the best topic starter awardClapClapClap Thnakyou, but too much appraisal kanya Embarrassed

I loved that other topic on the fact that RV shud be in jst as much trouble as Dia is:
Why Is The Girl Always Taunted??? =S Thnaks again

Okay back to this topic. Its true!Confused Maybe sub/un-consciously..but the public DO notice these things. Yes they do, My mum always tells me to stay away from girls in skirts, and im like what?! why?! But she doesnt answer me, but the answer is obvious its because of the way characters are dressed in on Tv, thats why she encourages me too make friends with people who wear salwar suits, trust me theres alot of peopel in my school, who wear suits yet they are just %^%%&$^&$^%*!!!

I was watching a TV serial..and in came one of the Vamps (villains)
...in came a pretty acteress wearing western clothes. My little cousin innocently asked...is she a bad girl? .....
there was no evil BG tune....or anything to show that her character is evil....but it was JUST her clothes!- (jst like Dia's and Sheena's)- why can't Gunjan and Nupur wear western clothes? Exactly, im getting fed up of peopel showing western clothes as only bad peope wear them, most of my freind swear western clotehs yet they are really nice. Its annoying taht peopel recognise vamps by western clothes, so if im wearing western clothes (which i do) i'll be seen as a bad girl to all those women who are influenced by the way clotehs are portrayed onscreen.

If the "good male characters" in serials can wear western clothes instead of a indian Kurtas...etc... ..then why do good female characters always have to wear Indian clothes? exactly, i have a right mind to start talking about discrimination again, but that will take all day. LOL
..can't they also wear trousers and shirts like the men do? Ditto!
is  sari/salwar kameez necessary for all "good female character"? No in my opinion, your clothes shouldnt be part of your personality, and nor should you be judged by your clothes. But Tv serials tend to think yes, suits and salwars are a sign of good human beings. BS!

^^hope I've made senseLOL- do tell me if I haven'tLOLNope you made complete sense.

not ONLY this...but its almost ALWAYS the male characters who are the boss! in these serials

...and the main female lead always comes frm a poorer backgroun.- this is sorta the case in MJHT...where Gunjan and Nupur are from a poorer background from Morena!- unlike Dia...where she comes frm a richer family..therefore initally she was the bad girl!!!

Just becoz a girl is rich doesn't necessarily mean that she's evil!
Spot on! Its very disturbing, a girl fom poorer families is the one that is good cultered and "sanskari" while the rich ones are portrayed to be spoilt brats who live off daddy's money. Its disgusting really, coz Many rich people are very nice, im neither poor noe super rich, so am i a hypocrite? whos nice and bad? coz thats the way its portrayed onscreen.

Clap

Go to top