Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
matriarchal systems exists only in kerala and a couple of other north east states. all the others follow the patriarchal system. men being egoist by nature want their lineage to continue. and hence the insistence for having a son. daughters are not normally the ones who carry on the lineage as they get married into another home. this keenness on having your vansh alive long after you are dead is what gives the sons a privelage over their sisters!

besides this, of course there are more disadvantages in having a daughter -most of which have been mentioned above by my other friends. spend on her food, clothing education etc and finally pay a dollop to give her away.
and having a son means income through his employment, and his marriage. though whether that equation works these days is anybody's guess πŸ˜ƒ but that is the general concept. until this concept changes, the female infanticide will continue.

have you seen this movie called "Matrubhoomi: A Nation Without Women" very hard hitting and it is about female infanticide!

Edited by jasunap - 18 years ago
syrene thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
The whole concept of continuing ones lineage through sons is ridiculous. For e.g. I have two children - a girl and a boy. Now if both of them have children.. to be brutally honest --I can be sure that my daughters children are my own blood, regardless of who is their father. But can i say the same for my sons children? Only their mother knows the truth! So if I am so hellbent in continuing my bloodline I should ideally prefer daughters.
jasunap thumbnail

Originally posted by: winnie_pooh

The whole concept of continuing ones lineage through sons is ridiculous. For e.g. I have two children - a girl and a boy. Now if both of them have children.. to be brutally honest --I can be sure that my daughters children are my own blood, regardless of who is their father. But can i say the same for my sons children? Only their mother knows the truth! So if I am so hellbent in continuing my bloodline I should ideally prefer daughters.

very true winnie. but like you said that is 'ideal'.  but in an egoistic society, where is ideal? it is just like saying the woman is barren irrespective of who has the problem and and the stigma of going to a pshychiatrist is still looked upon as being a pagal to want such a treatment.  there are so many things that have to change - hopefully it will happen in your and my lifetime!πŸ˜ƒ

syrene thumbnail
Originally posted by: jasunap

very true winnie. but like you said that is 'ideal'.  but in an egoistic society, where is ideal? it is just like saying the woman is barren irrespective of who has the problem and and the stigma of going to a pshychiatrist is still looked upon as being a pagal to want such a treatment.  there are so many things that have to change - hopefully it will happen in your and my lifetime!πŸ˜ƒ

i hope so too. 
Kay Kay thumbnail
Ours is a patriarchal society and as such the patriach's domineering influence on our thought and action gets rooted right from our infancy. The strange irony even today is that, even the most educated of them all go with this thought. Ofcourse there are exceptions amongst the educated but they are far too few.

Today, the world is changing and women are in no way less compatible than men. Infact, a girl at one point in time eons ago was a blessing, a birth of a girl was often compared to the goddess of wealth but in todays materialistic world a girl child is looked as one that will wean away the wealth amongst the rich, or as a additional economic burden amongst the not so rich.

It is quiet a pity to note that often women too subscribe to this school thought which considers the girl child as a burden.

What the world needs today, is a women's revolution. The women need to free themsleves of the yokels of the domeineering man.

What the men needs today is the realisation of the importance of women as an equal partner to our evolution and progress.

Change is never easy but is neccessary, as its the only way, forward.      
syrene thumbnail
πŸ‘ πŸ‘ Congratulations KayKay. You will be proud to know that you are the first bona fide person with a Y chromosome who has posted in this thread. What India needs are more people like you.
jasunap thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kay Kay

What the world needs today, is a women's revolution. The women need to free themsleves of the yokels of the domeineering man.

What the men needs today is the realisation of the importance of women as an equal partner to our evolution and progress.

Change is never easy but is neccessary, as its the only way, forward.      

kudos to you kay kay for being the first male to enter this discussion.  and bravo for acknowledging the above fact! πŸ‘πŸ‘ the cheers are for your thoughts and braveryπŸ‘πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

sowmyaa thumbnail
Kay Kay i totally agree with you. All you said is very much needed. However, I would like to add that sadly there are tons of women who also think that having a baby girl is not so exciting. Which is sad. I don't get when one woman think that birth of another woman is not important as having a baby boy. This is saddest part. I hope even women realise their own importance and some day be proud of themselves. Only then can they theach "their" son to be proud of their girls.
syrene thumbnail
You are right sowmyaa...i guess that is because india largely remains a male chauvinist society. so women dont want to bring into this world someone who has to undergo all the hardships that they themselves have faced.
MonicA#1Actress thumbnail

Originally posted by: winnie_pooh

You are right sowmyaa...i guess that is because india largely remains a male chauvinist society. so women dont want to bring into this world someone who has to undergo all the hardships that they themselves have faced.

But it doesn't justify Female  foeticide and infanticide.

Abortion is already a very dreadful thing, but to do it just becuase of the gender of the baby is horrible.

And killing infants is something soo sinful and horrifying,

Something I want to work on.