Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 8:18pm | IP Logged
Usually when I hear of something like this, I am unnerved at what new fad are children going to have to endure. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the article I came across on yahoo - Unconventional Mom

Like the reporter, I too was impressed with how well Mayim was able to explain the parenting concepts. She actually seemed very knowledgeable about what she was doing. I really liked her attitude towards children and family.

I am skeptical about somethings like not vaccinating children. But many other aspects seem to be traditional common sense like parents being more committed and involved in the growth process. She also is a member and spokesperson for holistic moms networka group that promotes natural, eco friendly child care with deeper emphasis on family values and less commercialization.

What do you think? Do you agree with these parenting tools and concepts? Do you think it will help improve family structures and child growth in America? Do you find it ironic that while the subcontinent 'modernizes' the west seems to be going back to 'old fashioned' methods?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Alternative Parenting" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 29 August 2009 at 9:07am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 1:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Exactly why is it being done?

One part of the process is called attachment parenting. Parents in United States tend to typically be very detached. They do not breastfeed for long. They do not rally understand the verbal cues children give. The do not spend quality time with their children.

It is very different from parenting in India. Back in India I remember how women could instantly tell when their child needed to go to the restroom and what each different 'cry' meant and how to calm the child. They breastfeed for a long time. The parent child bonding was a lot more deeper and connected.

So basically it is being done to go back to when people spent time with their kids and being connected.

What point is she trying to prove?

That some alternate and forgotten methods are actually useful.

Some of her methods are innovative and not harmful, and could possibly be beneficial, like not separating beds, etc.

I agree strongly with bed sharing, elimination communication. I also agree with cloth diapers over manufactured diapers - they are more environmentally friendly and gentler on the baby skin. I also agree with more natural and homemade foods. Many supermarket foods have preservatives that are not good for young stomachs. Organic and natural foods are more nutritious and healthier for children as well as grown ups. It can be expensive to be all natural - but its worth it for your baby.

Heck I buy organic treats for my dog. My dog is a health nut - she prefers spinach and goat cheese white pizza over a meat lovers pizza.

But what about not vaccinating and others? What are the reasons behind those? Some of them seems to be a bit too extreme for my liking, and could possibly be damaging to the children. *shrugs*

The two things that most people will see as damaging are home schooling and not vaccinating.

I used to be against homeschooling because old school methods of old schooling resulted in very disconnected, weird, anti-social kids. However, after meeting some kids who are being homeschooled - I am open to it. Its risky - but I think it can be beneficial.

When I was staying at a hostel in New Orleans this summer, I was pleasantly surprised to see a family with kids staying there. We struck up a conversation in the kitchen because we all were interested in travel. The husband and wife loved traveling and would go abroad on family vacations frequently. They had taken their kids to Morocco, Egypt, Spain, Czech Republic and all sorts of places. Since it was not easy to accommodate school years and travel - they chose to homeschool their kids. These kids were well bright, social, talkative, well traveled, well adjusted and had a wealth of knowledge of other cultures and spoke Spanish fluently and were planning to learn Russian.

There are many small farming communities up North who homeschool their kids till they are old enough to ride the snowmobiles to school. Many continue to homeschool because traditional schools do not adjust around harvest and other seasonal farm activity.

In areas like California many parents will get together and hire tutors so their kids can be homeschooled. The benefits of such type of homeschooling is individualized attention, education customized to their strengths and the socialize with neighborhood children. Some even get a wide socialization experience across different age groups.

Now as for vaccination. I think parents should vaccinate their kids per vaccination schedule. But that is hypocritical of me. I refuse to take the flu shot and will not be taking the swine flu shot when it is released by the CDC. No child of mine will ever get a flu shot. I do not believe in the varicella shot and will refuse to give any child of mine the varicella shot. I do not believe in prescription medications or vitamin supplements or meds in general.  When I was at the hospital to have my knee to be checked out the doctor thought I must be some nut case because I turned down the painkiller shot.

Viruses run their own course. They mutate every year producing new strains. Flu virus is a mutation of the common cold virus. There is a new flu virus every year. A flu shot is no guarantee against flu. You could still get flu from a different strain and it could turn to be fatal. Regarding the varicella. Chicken Pox is not fatal. Te best defense against chicken pox is to get the varicella virus. In fact people who have taken the varicella shot have still got chicken pox, while if you get chicken pox once - you never get it again.

The human body is an amazing system. The immune system is just mindblowing. Just as a virus mutates the white blood corpuscles develop new weapons to fight these mutants. When you take vaccines like flu shots, your immune system gets lazy. It does not work as had to make new weapons, nor does it exercise to keep in shape. Basically it makes you weak and dependent on these vaccines - so when a super strain like Swine flu hits you are screwed.

Secondly epidemics and flus are part of natural selection. The strong immune systems are meant to survive. The ones who die cleanses the species of the weak ones. Vaccines and modern medicines mess with natural selection and make humans chemically dependent. Whats next Darth Vader suits to stay alive.

However, I do believe in giving MMR, Tetanus and rabies - because those diseases are more likely to be fatal and the vaccines are proven.  While it goes against my personal principle of not messing with natural selection, I do not think an unvaccinated child should infringe on the rights of the weaklings who have chosen to mess with natural selection.

I've spoken a lot on vaccination, so I will not delve into pill popping. I think we live in a pill popping culture where everything is fixed by pills. If I am to raise kids they will be completely natural humans who live healthy through food and exercise and not pills. Meds are necesscary at times, but should be the last resort - not the cop out to proper living.

karandel_2008

IF-Rockerz

karandel_2008

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 5:45pm | IP Logged
I think that our Indian parenting practices have already evolved through many thousands of years and thus should i say those practices look good enough for me? Only problem seems to be that these days we might be having problems in passing on our values and practices to the new generation. Due to these reasons many good things get lost and will get lost over time in India.

Regarding medicines and vaccination, I know that taking too much medicine, for example popping in paracetamol each time, when one has a fever, is wrong.

On the other hand we should not downplay the significance of medicines. During ancient times, full civilizations used to be wiped off because of pandemics. Advances in medicine have surely and significantly brought down mortality rate and that is good.

If you want, you may consider the evolution of medicines, our interfering actions and the ensuing results also as a part of natural selection, in the grand scheme of things. Moreover, if humans stay away from "interfering" with the nature then it is possible that soon roaches (was it roaches that were suggested, in some DM thread,  to rule the earth in future?Wink) will rule the planet.

Edited by karandel_2008 - 31 August 2009 at 6:31am

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 5:57pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by karandel_2008

I think that our Indian parenting practices have already evolved through many thousands of years and thus should i say those practices look good enough for me? Only problem seems to be that these days we might be having problems in passing on our values and practices to the new generation. Due to these reasons many good things get lost and will get lost over time in India.eggjactly..... our evolutionary parents giving "tame outs" have lost it big time....LOL

Regarding medicines and vaccination, I know that taking too much medicine, for example popping in paracetamol each time, when one has a fever, is wrong. Right again...

On the other hand we should not downplay the significance of medicines. During ancient times, full civilizations used to be wiped off because of pandemics. Advances in medicine have surely and significantly brought down mortality rate and that is good. and again

If you want, you may consider the evolution of medicines, our interfering actions and the ensuing results also as a part of natural selection, in the grand scheme of things. Moreover, if humans stay away from "interfering" with the nature then it is possible that soon roaches (was it roaches that were suggested to rule earth, in future, in some DM thread long time ago?Wink) will rule the planet.

Roaches!!!... that was a slant on the mods.. i think......LOL

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 5:59pm | IP Logged

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:21pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 10:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by karandel_2008

I think that our Indian parenting practices have already evolved through many thousands of years and thus should i say those practices look good enough for me? Only problem seems to be that these days we might be having problems in passing on our values and practices to the new generation. Due to these reasons many good things get lost and will get lost over time in India.

Regarding medicines and vaccination, I know that taking too much medicine, for example popping in paracetamol each time, when one has a fever, is wrong.

On the other hand we should not downplay the significance of medicines. During ancient times, full civilizations used to be wiped off because of pandemics. Advances in medicine have surely and significantly brought down mortality rate and that is good.

I do not say medicines are absolutely unnecessary. I expressed myself in an extreme manner. In fact I agree that not vaccinating is dangerous. There have been cases where eradicated diseases like measles and rubella resurfaced through unvaccinated kids. Medical science is also necessary. It infuriates me when parents refuse to let their cancer ailing kids have chemotherapy.

At the same time overdependence on drug culture is weakening the human race. The next generation is so weak that you may not even need weapons to kill them. Just a simple glass of water in a different country will do the trick. People are popping pills at the single instance of fever. A baby even sneezes they rush to the doctor. The kid gets their hand in some dirt and they are doused with purell. The kid grazes a knee and they triple wash it with antibacterial soap, alcohol swabs and slather it with ointment, and then wrap it in ten million bandages. It is almost that with modern science we are trying to create some sort of technological bubble around ourselves that protects us from everything. But the bubble pod ps and we are unable to survive on our own. Human immunity is a system that has evolved for centuries anis way more sophisticated than any technology we have. I think that we ought to give it some more credit and let it fight some battles and spar on its own and bring the meds in only when it needs that extra help.

If you want, you may consider the evolution of medicines, our interfering actions and the ensuing results also as a part of natural selection, in the grand scheme of things. Moreover, if humans stay away from "interfering" with the nature then it is possible that soon roaches (was it roaches that were suggested to rule earth, in future, in some DM thread long time ago?Wink) will rule the planet.

Even if human beings find a cure for every known ailment including ailments - cockroaches will still rule the planet. And actually that will be a result of humans messing with nature. Currently cockroaches are the only known species to withstand nuclear radiation and survive. They can last longest without food and water and even with their heads chopped off. They are immune to most known diseases and biochemical weaponry. So unless we find a way to survive our own death technology - the world will be ruled by cockroaches.

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.