Page 1 Page 4
Page   of 7
Page 6 Page 7

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 12:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by the_Naked_face

I dont understand the big issue of why some virtual folks hide their name in Virtual??.. i mean, at the end of day, if you reveal your name to someone..then the chances of them having to locate you is err none, slim very slim...A name is something that is personal to the individual but its shared by many. My name is rare, but their must be someone else with the same name. Shahdin.  Other things that people hide that i dont understand is their place...its not like some Virtual would come flying to your city to stalk you or something.

I understand, not sharing your personal pictures ( although i have, but then i am told i should learn to be more safe and play safe and not to act like a stupid open book LOL).....

Anyways, i find it easier to express myself more blunty to my online friends than offline...i have to be careful offline where i have to  think twice before i speak so that others dont get the wrong impression of me,  where-as in online, i am more honest than anything and more crazy than anything..For example opening marriage proposals, and saying i love you to everyone....is something  i wont really do in reality LOL

Also, people online exaggerate their obsessions and crushes or what not...like i claim to be Such a big fan of aamir and Edward ( i am) but i dont talk about them 24/7 with my offline friends..we have other important stuffs to discuss, such as who gossiped what or just discussing the same typical crap on a different day .....when your online you tend to exaggerate and talk more about people you see on screen...i bet Baz, Middy, shez etc arent such asma Shahid's and sonu's  Crazy fanatics and barely mention them in their real world...cos they have more important stuffs to think about...

Being online - You exaggerate yourself, being off line - your  still the same but more normal like...anyways true for me anyways....ive been told i have many sides to my personality, i am trying to figure out the answer for that! LOL

anyways, i stated the obvious i think..what was your question Mr? LOL

Xoxo

I like your approach to the internet. Its very genuine. In all honesty sometimes I think when things go wrong the internet gets an undue bad name. If people just opened up a bit and had some faith in trust it could be better. However, at the same time - you do not want to be too naive.

As you observed most people are more themselves on the internet. The lack of direct interaction and face to face contact makes people less inhibited. They will show deeper layers of their personality they will not show in real life - sometimes it is ordinary like flirtatiousness, or they maybe more funny and talkative than usual. they may feel more comfortable sharing likes and dislikes. They also use the internet as a way to express their true likes and dislikes. For example someone may love Twilight and not show it because their friends in school think its stupid - but they go to a Twilight forum and discuss the book to bits.

However, sometimes the internet unveils darker sides of personalities like abusive behavior, bullying, etc. Someone may be quite meek and submissive in real life - but may use the internet to be mean and abusive to people. Some people use the internet to play out sexual fantasies that are taboo in real life. In short there are a lot of crazies out there which one needs to be aware of. The anonymity also makes it easier for people to pretend and mess with people. I wont go into the darker stuff. On the less darker side there are people who will use your personal information to steal your identity and get loans etc.

So its always good to be prudent and display some amount of caution when interacting online. Yes you may make great friends, but don't rush it and naively give out too much info. Make sure you can actually trust them.

From my personal experience - making friends online has been a pleasant experience. Except for one person who pretended to be dying of cancer to catch my attention and another who decided to email me some *ahem* pictures because they thought I was flirting - no real neurotics or crazies.

When I was first planning to meet folks I met online, my parents were not too happy. However, after the first couple of people i met from the internet they were more receptive to the idea. Then I met three more this summer. I actually know several people from the internet in Europe. I always say someday when I go backpacking in Europe I know people in Belgium, France, England, Scotland, Ireland, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Germany, Greece, Sweden and Russia. Smile

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "How true are online friends? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Midnight_Shade

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 3:55am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Fair-n-luvly

Fair-n-luvly

IF-Sizzlerz

Fair-n-luvly

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:04am | IP Logged

I dont understand the big issue of why some virtual folks hide their name in Virtual??.. i mean, at the end of day, if you reveal your name to someone..then the chances of them having to locate you is err none, slim very slim...A name is something that is personal to the individual but its shared by many. My name is rare, but their must be someone else with the same name. Shahdin.  Other things that people hide that i dont understand is their place...its not like some Virtual would come flying to your city to stalk you or something.

Ok people hide their names coz they don't want others to know their real names....see virtual world is dangerous....usually gals are careful n they cann't end up people calling them with their real names!

About location well many tell their location n many hide not every one of em is fake na?Even I never told my exact location so does that mean i'm fake there can be many reasons behind this for others too n i dont think that anyone is scared of virtual folksEmbarrassed
Even you keep asking and so cleverly play alongLOL

Xoxo

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:22am | IP Logged
You all say in virtual world theres most of them are fake n fraud n lie n blah blah ...then why you people go online chat n live in virtural world.....LOL

souro

souro

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:27am | IP Logged

I understand, not sharing your personal pictures ( although i have, but then i am told i should learn to be more safe and play safe and not to act like a stupid open book LOL).....

Anyways, i find it easier to express myself more blunty to my online friends than offline...i have to be careful offline where i have to  think twice before i speak so that others dont get the wrong impression of me,  where-as in online, i am more honest than anything and more crazy than anything..For example opening marriage proposals, and saying i love you to everyone....is something  i wont really do in reality LOL

I also feel exactly the same way. I had everything displayed on IF but then I saw no one reveals anything over here so I removed all info. Even now on Orkut and Facebook I've so much info displayed but I've never got any unwanted calls or any kind of offensive mails.
When it comes to actually finding people, first of all so many people having the same name can exist in one city. Secondly, I don't think anyone has got the time to track down some unknown person just to act like a psycho. And as far as stalking is concerned, I don't really feel that someone will waste their money just to give me a surprise visit. Infact, does anyone waste their time to even find someone on Facebook or Orkut unless they have become friends online and actually want to keep in touch through a social networking site??

As an experiment: Name- Soumya Roy; Location- Mumbai; Age- 28
Let's see if I receive any Facebook or Orkut invites. LOL

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 6:35am | IP Logged
^'If you add more people..I will hack ur ID'....aisa koi mail aaya dhaa...kya.....suchi wo main nahe beejaaa.....WinkTongueLOL

souro

souro

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 7:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

^'If you add more people..I will hack ur ID'....aisa koi mail aaya dhaa...kya.....suchi wo main nahe beejaaa.....WinkTongueLOL

You don't count, you are already on my FB friend's list. Tongue And no I didn't receive any such mail, kahin galti se kisi aur ko mail toh nahi kar diya?? Wink

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 30 August 2009 at 7:38am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Originally posted by Believe

You don't count, you are already on my FB friend's list. Tongue---ssssshhhhhWink And no I didn't receive any such mail, kahin galti se kisi aur ko mail toh nahi kar diya?? Wink
LOLLOLLOLNahi yaar...no chance...LOL...No time for such a things....Big smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top