Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

How true are online friends? (Page 2)

*Woh Ajnabee* IF-Sizzlerz
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 4:06pm | IP Logged
Virtuality is great and everything, if you come here for a few minutes of entertainment. Its a great way to get away from the real world once in a while (or once every hour for some of us LOL). As far as friends go, well, I think the definition of friendship changes in this world. You always have to remember that you are only being shown what the other person wants you to see. Just like in the real world, there are bad people here, too. And it is your sole responsibility to remember that when you are interacting with various people on the forum. I think IF and other similar forums are fine for you to communicatie and interact with others, but don't take these friendships over to something like facebook, where you have pictures/personal information posted.

Also, for those who meet in RL after having interacted on the internet, you have to remember that those friendships are not virtual anymore, after you meet that someone, the friendship becomes real. And there is a very fine line between virtual friends and real friends, that you should never cross.
angelic_devil IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 5:29pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 5:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by angelic_devil

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Also, for those who meet in RL after having interacted on the internet, you have to remember that those friendships are not virtual anymore, after you meet that someone, the friendship becomes real. And there is a very fine line between virtual friends and real friends, that you should never cross.

but when people meet in real then they become real friends so that line between virtual and real friendship is already crossed.

Oh sorry, those two sentences weren't supposed to overlap like that. LOL

But I mean, I'm sure that if you're lucky you'll find a RL friend in them. And if not then, you'll have a bad experience. Oh well, right? What I meant to say was that once you've met that person in RL its not a "virtual" friendship anymore, so therefore we should not be under the impression that VL friendships are the same as RL ones.

Sorry, I can't think straight, excuse me for not making sense here.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

angelic_devil

Mindbender IF-Sizzlerz
Mindbender
Mindbender

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged

I kinda follow the policy of keeping IF and social networking separately too- but sometimes i wonder-

I might add(obliged to add) a person whom i just met once in real life but will be skeptical about adding someone virtual whom i might know for years !

Doesn't make sense to me myself, but nevertheless i follow it.WackoLOL

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 8:30pm | IP Logged

I get what you are saying. But you know its never the same as real friends. In Bombay we joke that you have school friends, work friends, neighborhood friends, and bus/train friends. LOL Heck in college there were a good 5-6 people with whom my friendship was one hour in bus daily. Nowadays you have internet friends. And in internet friends - you have ones you have met and ones you havent. Even in your 'real' friends there are those with whom you are really connected and with those whom you are virtually connected. There are couples out there who met in real life but their 'relationship' exists on fb and twitter. There are couples who spend their evenings sitting on a couch with laptops browsing the net and IM'ing each other. LOL I used to be skeptical but I have actually seen successful WOW marriages. I worked with a guy who moved from Texas to Wisconsin to be with his fiance from his guild. They got married a couple years back and have been together five years altogether. Their relationship is still more on WOW than irl.

Variety is the spice of life and the internet has added more ingredients. Just like in real life you have to show good judgment in friends and people you associate with same goes in virtual life. Actually I think the internet has been a great blessing for the shy nerdy geeky types who most of the time lack the confidence to communicate in real life. Now a trekkie can hang out in cyberspace with other trekkies and find the uhura to his spock or the kirk to his spock whichever way he swings.
Mindbender IF-Sizzlerz
Mindbender
Mindbender

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 9:03pm | IP Logged

^^

there used to be a show on discovery on "virtual love". Its name was "virtual love " too i guess- i don't remember !

They used to connect "online lovers" in real and see how the relationship progressed. The ending of the show usually used to be with a tight hug between the two lovers- wonder how the real ending used to be !LOL

*Woh Ajnabee*
*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I get what you are saying. But you know its never the same as real friends. In Bombay we joke that you have school friends, work friends, neighborhood friends, and bus/train friends. LOL Heck in college there were a good 5-6 people with whom my friendship was one hour in bus daily. Nowadays you have internet friends. And in internet friends - you have ones you have met and ones you havent. Even in your 'real' friends there are those with whom you are really connected and with those whom you are virtually connected. There are couples out there who met in real life but their 'relationship' exists on fb and twitter. There are couples who spend their evenings sitting on a couch with laptops browsing the net and IM'ing each other. LOL I used to be skeptical but I have actually seen successful WOW marriages. I worked with a guy who moved from Texas to Wisconsin to be with his fiance from his guild. They got married a couple years back and have been together five years altogether. Their relationship is still more on WOW than irl.

Variety is the spice of life and the internet has added more ingredients. Just like in real life you have to show good judgment in friends and people you associate with same goes in virtual life. Actually I think the internet has been a great blessing for the shy nerdy geeky types who most of the time lack the confidence to communicate in real life. Now a trekkie can hang out in cyberspace with other trekkies and find the uhura to his spock or the kirk to his spock whichever way he swings.

But, Sarina, the similar link between all these examples that you give is that they have met in real life, and that completely changes things. If two people have met in RL, then after that it is their business whether they maintain that relationship on the internet or not.

See, what we're doing here is only considering examples where two people have met in RL and hit it off. What about those who met and had bad experiences? Anyways, I think even after you meet someone face-to-face, it changes things. And it has now the potential to become a full-fledged friendship. But as far as purely virtual friendships go, I think that again, nothing is absolute in this world. People are known to be fake and some are experts at it.

And to support your argument as well, yes, nowadays there are a lot of people who meet in the internet, "fall in love", and get married. It seems all nice and sweet at first, until the divorce kicks in. LOL Sorry, just speaking of a RL example.
return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 28 August 2009 at 10:02pm | IP Logged
I think I missed the point I tried to make. Seems like I made it seem that virtual relationships always work. Going by SVU (which is based on rl sometimes) some people end up in some room in prague with a yellow curtain on the window.  Thats why the biggest emphasis is always on good judgment.

My point - I think even if you meet people irl. Things have changed, but its different from irl friends in irl. You can never really compare the true. Not that I do not consider any of my virtual friends any less. Some of the ones i have met are good friends. But its just different.

Go to top