Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Women equal rights vs Women Reservation (Page 8)

Beyond_the_Veil IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 29 August 2009 at 5:58am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
angelic_devil IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 29 August 2009 at 8:17am | IP Logged

Beyond_the_Veil IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 29 August 2009 at 8:21am | IP Logged

_Angie_ IF-Rockerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 3:47am | IP Logged

Originally posted by return_to_hades

But why not just focus on anti-discrimination laws. You prevent corruption as well as prevent the situation where a rural business picks a less qualified guy over a woman.

unfortunately tackling corruption is a much bigger challenge  & certainly not in the interest of most politicians  they have to think about various obligations that they owe to other ppl who helped them during elections etc  So merit be damned !

With reservation - you are putting twice the amount of effort with half the result.

But how does it make women self reliant?

reservation in jobs wud help to ensure jobs & thus financial empowerment leading to self reliance

How will it gain women the respect she deserves in the workplace? Respect isnt the main  issue here as its often lacking at homefront too

How will she know if she got the job on merit or not? most of them wudnt care .  

How will she know where she stands competitively?

competition is not the issue where mere survival is a big issue

giving reservation to these rural women wud make them taste the power & inspire them to retain it. I think there lies the crux. But again if contd for long it wud have the opp effect – making women complacent. So I wud say timebound reservation for now !

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

angelic_devil

_Angie_ IF-Rockerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 3:49am | IP Logged

My first reaction to reservation is that it seems quite unfair to those kept out of it. On closer look I have to think why did the need for reservation arise in the first place. The demand actually had been for equality & not for reservation. As history shows, the politicians obviously find it easier to implement reservations  than to ensure equality or level playing ground for everyone though that is what should have been the objective. Perhaps b coz changing prevailing mindset is more challenging than to pass legislation in favour of reservation. So our govt has taken the easier path like it did in the past.

Reservation at best, is a temporary solution & should not be carried on indefinitely. While the govt has handed out reservation it also needs to work sincerely  on bringing about social change to provide a level playing field for everyone so that there is no need felt for any reservation. Incidents like female foeticides, bride burning, wife beatings, a dalit cook being removed from mid day meal schemes in favour of a Brahmin cook as school children refused to eat cook prepared by a dalit , so called lower caste ppl denied access to temples, young couples being butchered for intercaste marriages ought to be relegated to annals of history !

The govt cannot do anything alone without the active support of its people . So if we want to bring about equality we need to start implementing corrective changes in & around us. Do we have the courage to stand & oppose injustice when we see it ? If  the answer is yes, then we will soon have conditions where need for reservation wud  no longer be felt by women or any SC/ST/OBC/ PH. So its all upto us !

If the privileged class itself is cowed down with fear inspite of its convictions then what hope do we have for those already disadvantaged? Do we then even have the right to ask any group of disadvantaged ppl not to ask or wish for any reservation to better their conditions! I m sure given a choice between reservation & a equal level playing field any self respecting person wud choose the later. But lets  provide an equal field first ! 

Having said that I as far as women vs men arguments are concerned,  I feel that women are meant for a  much more imp role than being a bread winner or job seeker. With a womans instincts for nuturing & natural intuitiveness she is much better endowed to bring stability , peace & progress in society. As an enlightened mother she can teach the right values to her children, who in turn will result into a better society, better nation & humanity.   All great civilizations have held the womenfolk in great respect. The Indian hist is full of examples of women who enjoyed gr8 power &  respect . they had access to  all luxuries & training. Foreign invasions brought about a great social upheaval & women started losing their rights & somehow considered as " weaker sex"   . To regain the glory  of our past we have to restore women full respect they enjoyed earlier . Women & men are ideally meant to complement each other instead of being at loggerheads !

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

casper2angelic_devilBeyond_the_Veil

angelic_devil IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 4:24am | IP Logged

angelic_devil IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 4:26am | IP Logged

_Angie_ IF-Rockerz
_Angie_
_Angie_

Posted: 01 September 2009 at 4:40am | IP Logged
Originally posted by angelic_devil

Originally posted by angie.4u

My first reaction to reservation is that it seems quite unfair to those kept out of it. On closer look I have to think why did the need for reservation arise in the first place. The demand actually had been for equality & not for reservation. As history shows, the politicians obviously find it easier to implement reservations  than to ensure equality or level playing ground for everyone though that is what should have been the objective. Perhaps b coz changing prevailing mindset is more challenging than to pass legislation in favour of reservation. So our govt has taken the easier path like it did in the past.

Reservation at best, is a temporary solution & should not be carried on indefinitely. While the govt has handed out reservation it also needs to work sincerely  on bringing about social change to provide a level playing field for everyone so that there is no need felt for any reservation. Incidents like female foeticides, bride burning, wife beatings, a dalit cook being removed from mid day meal schemes in favour of a Brahmin cook as school children refused to eat cook prepared by a dalit , so called lower caste ppl denied access to temples, young couples being butchered for intercaste marriages ought to be relegated to annals of history !

The govt cannot do anything alone without the active support of its people . So if we want to bring about equality we need to start implementing corrective changes in & around us. Do we have the courage to stand & oppose injustice when we see it ? If  the answer is yes, then we will soon have conditions where need for reservation wud  no longer be felt by women or any SC/ST/OBC/ PH. So its all upto us !

If the privileged class itself is cowed down with fear inspite of its convictions then what hope do we have for those already disadvantaged? Do we then even have the right to ask any group of disadvantaged ppl not to ask or wish for any reservation to better their conditions! I m sure given a choice between reservation & a equal level playing field any self respecting person wud choose the later. But lets  provide an equal field first ! 

Having said that I as far as women vs men arguments are concerned,  I feel that women are meant for a  much more imp role than being a bread winner or job seeker. With a womans instincts for nuturing & natural intuitiveness she is much better endowed to bring stability , peace & progress in society. As an enlightened mother she can teach the right values to her children, who in turn will result into a better society, better nation & humanity.   All great civilizations have held the womenfolk in great respect. The Indian hist is full of examples of women who enjoyed gr8 power &  respect . they had access to  all luxuries & training. Foreign invasions brought about a great social upheaval & women started losing their rights & somehow considered as " weaker sex"   . To regain the glory  of our past we have to restore women full respect they enjoyed earlier . Women & men are ideally meant to complement each other instead of being at loggerheads !

Clap beautiful post. when u said that u would be coming back with a reply i thought u would have forgotten after so many days. u have put for ward the views in such a beautiful way that i can never ever do. i am actually too rude for that. Dead  but what a use of words. i simply loved it.
thanx sandya, Big smile had been wanting to post much earlier B4 the thread reached thise many pages  ,but cudnt manage to as I ve been very busy last few days due to renovation works ! Its gr8 Thumbs Up the way  you ve
been handling it almost single handedly Wink. This issue seems to be something very close to ur heart Smile

Go to top