Debate Mansion

Religion should change with the times (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 7

Page 1
Page   of 7
Page 3 Page 7

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 1:07am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Religion should change with the times (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 1:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

The way I see it, texts are neither good nor bad; texts are just text. How you interpret it is what matters. If a person commits heinous deeds and then justify his actions saying "Because my Holy book said so", then I would be more prone to hold that person accountable for his deed than the book itself. A book is just a book. If people are brainwashed into doing amoral deeds due to the few passages of his book, then it means that the person is inherently flawed. Religion or religious text is just an excuse for them to cover up their crime - it's not the reason, it's the excuse.

Yes you are right in that.

Often parents tel the kids " God will punish you if you do such n such a thing"
Poor God gets blamed for many things and of course the movie industry helps to paint wrong images too.LOL

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 1:57am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Poor God gets blamed for many things and of course the movie industry helps to paint wrong images too.LOL

Ya poor God..LOL.same like..in India when a unmarride girl got pregnent, uski Maa start cry and say....'Hey Bagwaan tune kya kiyaaa'!!!? ....ofcos after he hear this...sure God will get angry!!!AngryWinkGod gt blamed without any reason....Big smile

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

Originally posted by Summer3

Ya poor God..LOL.same like..in India when a unmarride girl got pregnent, uski Maa start cry and say....'Hey Bagwaan tune kya kiyaaa'!!!? ....ofcos after he hear this...sure God will get angry!!!AngryWinkGod gt blamed without any reason....Big smile
Yes Bhagawan ka kya kasoorLOL

Fair-n-luvly

IF-Sizzlerz

Fair-n-luvly

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 4:22am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Perfangel5655

Religion has to do with faith in God , belief and how you incorporate those in normal lives. Almost all religions say the same things on how to live a righteous life. (be kind, tell the truth, don't steal, don't cheat, don't kill etc etc) They don't need to modernized. Customs do need to be updated though. I really dislike how a lot of people don't know how to differentiate between cultural traditions and religion.

More than that I don't like how some adults in our society don't believe in change. Change is necessary and not always a bad thing.
True said....I second that.

-Sneha

IF-Dazzler

-Sneha

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 10:44am | IP Logged
Hmmm nice one...

Though I certainly feel, it depends on what you speak of when you mention religion, because it certainly is NOT to be mixed or confounded with culture, tradition or norms... They are two extremely different things in all ways...

I second Labib on the fact that it is not the holy texts or written passages of religious characters in books that need to be changed as much as people's mindset or thinking capabilities need to... We need an evolution firstly in the brain, where it all happens before attacking less direct things...

Also, I believe, as much as I've read of course, though it is certainly minimal, that religious texts, who ever has written them are such that they do not need to change with time... In fact, each time the world goes through a known revolution, and someone else from a later generation shuffles through them, he/she will look at them and grasp them from their point of view... That's one beautiful aspect of what those texts give out... My Grandma understands and applies them in one way, my mum in another and I, in an another way altogether... We do not need to change the texts... What we need to change is the mindset of people while leaving with 3-4 generations at one time, where each generation has to compromise a bit no matter what...

Again though, it is very important to differentiate between the 4-5 true holy texts written and any book or text written haphazardly by some unknown saint of the religion... It does make a great deal of difference obviously!!...

Cheers,
Sneha

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..RamKiJanaki..

chal_phek_mat

chal_phek_mat

Posted: 17 August 2009 at 12:12pm | IP Logged
For me, religious texts basically is some moral code of conduct written by some very very intelligent humans.. Now if had to be emblished a little bit to browbeat some naysayers by saying it actually came from the mouth of the God

So yes times have changed even those wise old intelligent humans were wrong at some times, so they have to be corrected and the religous texts have to be changed, but that is easier said than done, that's why they started having  govts having its penal code system

Now you have those disillusioned who actually beleive those texts were written as told by God vs the Current world practicals, the place where those disillusioned win becomes a theocracy, the place where the Practical's wins becomes a democracy. So rather than PO some who are fanatic about those texts, I would rather change my penal code and get them to agree to it

Another wise man also said "Discretion is the better part of Valour"Wink

rogna

IF-Rockerz

rogna

Posted: 20 August 2009 at 3:43am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ahmed25

Which religon? Hindusim is not a religion, ask SC.

You want Christians and Muslims to change? No way, you will get your throat cut, jihad, fatwa, you name it.

actually, even though the muslims and islam are very slowly changing and is still very traditional and classics in their teachings they are changing. they've changed from what they were when they first emerged and now they are changing slowly. talking about christianity, it had changed so much since the period of the apolostic church, and it is still changing rapidly trying to cope and adapt with nowadays people. and as for hinduism, why do you say it is not a religion?

Post Reply New Post

Go to top