Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Back in the saddle

alone Newbie
alone
alone

Posted: 27 January 2005 at 2:42am | IP Logged

Back in the saddle

Amrita Singh is back doing what she knows best — acting. She has been signed by Ekta Kapoor to play an important role in her forthcoming production KKavyanjali which will be telecast on Star Plus from January 25 every week day at 9.30 pm. Excerpts from an interview

Does facing the camera again after a gap of almost nine years take you back to your Betaab days?
Yes, I'm feeling the same kind of excitement as I did then. The only difference is that I have aged a bit. (Laughs) I began my career when I was hardly 16 and I feel great experiencing the same rush of emotions again.

Your fans were kind of expecting you to comeback after Shaheed...
Shaheed was like a holiday project for me. I did it because the role appealed to me and because the Deols are like my extended family. I was offered many roles after that but I turned them down because I didn't need a job then. Now, things have changed. I do need to work and hence have decided to take-up acting once again.

What was your criteria for accepting this proposal?
I accepted the serial because first of all, this is an Ekta Kapoor project and she has been the most successful TV producer over the years. Then, it will be telecast on Star Plus, India's premier TV channel. The combination of these two things convinced me that I'm taking the right decision.

Ektaa Kapoor is known for making saas-bahu projects. Does Kaavyanjali belong to the same genre?
Believe me, this is unlike any other run of the mill Ektaa Kapoor project. It does have many saas and bahus but the serial is not confined to them. It is basically a serial about two youngsters, Kavya and Anjali. It is a love story with a family background having lots of twists and turns.

Would you describe your role in the serial?
I play Kavya's mother in the serial. He is quite close to his mother and shares everything with her. It is an emotional role and I'm looking forward to it.

Won't your fans be disappointed seeing you as the mother of a grown-up boy?
I don't see why my fans will have a probelem with that considering they accepted me as a mother in the film Khudgarz which was released more than a decade ago. I feel that today's audience has moved beyond streotypes. They want to see you perform well, that's all. I think actors too have gone beyond these boundries and are on the look out for good roles nowadays.

TV serials have a tendency of jumping ahead in timeline. Would you be willing to adjust to such changes?
I don't see why not. I'm willing to try anything as long as it appeals to my sanity. I will only say no to something that comes across as completley ridiculous. I'm open to everything that doesn't cross that line.

Have you watched any of Ektaa Kapoor serials before?
Well, I personally don't like watching TV. I'm much more attuned to silences than noice. My favourite pastime is to curl up in bed with a good book. But nowdays, I've been made a slave to TV by my daughter Sara. She's just 9 1/2 years old but her favourite serials are Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi and Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki. So, just to give her company, I too religiously watch these serials each night.

How are your children reacting to your new avtar as a working mom?
Well, my daughter has completely freaked out. She can't wait for it to be telecast. She had always wanted me to be the typical saree-clad mom. Thanks to saas bahu serials, she took a dislike to my wearing jeans and complained that I shouldn't wear casual clothes while coming to pick her up from school. Now, I go to her school in get-up and she's delighted as hell upon my becoming a 'real' mom. My son Ibrahim is just three years old and doesn't understand what his mother is doing. I've explained to him that mama is going to make up for her absence by taking him to a long holiday and he is looking forward to that.

I'm willing to try anything as long as it appeals to my sanity. I will only say no to something that comes across as completley ridiculous 
Working in serials is much more hectic than acting in films. Are you coping well with the pace?
It is too early to remark on that. We have just started shooting and I'm too caught-up in the excitement to notice any discomforts. My schedule is such that I work only 15-18 days a month. So far there have been no hassles and I'm sure there aren't going to be any problems in the future as well.

Do you find any difference between work cultures of film and TV media?
I feel that both film and TV people today have a more professional approach than in the past. Nowadays, serials too have the same lavish production values that films have. I'm having fun doing the serial. The director and the starcast are a talented lot. I have been pampered by their love and respect. What more can one ask for?

Have you given any thought to doing an anchor-based show?
I want to do something like Oprah that involves a live audience. As of now, the concept hasn't caught on in a big way in India. I want to go about it very carefully. Currently, I'm just monitoring the situation and would only start the project when the time is right.

Are you open to production or direction?
As of now, I don't have any plans to either direct or produce a show or a film. I've re-entered this arena not to lose, but to make money.

Which other projects are you doing?
Right now, I don't have any other serials in hand but I'm getting some film offers. Nothing is finalised yet, so I won't comment on that.

Edited by alone - 27 January 2005 at 2:44am

-misha IF-Sizzlerz
-misha
-misha

Posted: 27 January 2005 at 3:08am | IP Logged
thanx
queenbee Goldie
queenbee
queenbee

Posted: 27 January 2005 at 3:45am | IP Logged
Thanx alone, for posting an article on this gutsy lady. If media reports are anythng to go by, Saif left her penniless with two kids to raise single-handedly... can't blame her for choosing Balaji as her comeback vehicle but i wish her daughter would switch on Zee or Sony once in a while... watching some JJKN or Kareena wud do her a whole lot of good LOL
rouble Senior Member
rouble
rouble

Posted: 27 January 2005 at 8:16am | IP Logged
thanks for sharing!

Edited by rouble - 27 January 2005 at 8:16am
mango Global Moderator
mango
mango

Posted: 27 January 2005 at 8:28am | IP Logged
thanx for sharingSmile
nali476 Senior Member
nali476
nali476

Posted: 27 January 2005 at 9:54am | IP Logged
NIce article. Thanks for sharing. I also think that one of her major reasons for going back to work is because of that jerk, Saif Ali Khan, who has left her for an Italian prostitute. You know, Amrita Singh didn't even like Saif, but he was madly in love with her and begged her like crazy to marry him.
*~puja~* Senior Member
*~puja~*
*~puja~*

Posted: 27 January 2005 at 12:19pm | IP Logged
he begged her to marry him??? i didn't know that, and when he gets famous with one film... he dumps her... that is so mean Angry
*~Sapna~* IF-Rockerz
*~Sapna~*
*~Sapna~*

Posted: 27 January 2005 at 4:15pm | IP Logged
thanks for sharing
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top