Legends of Radha-Krishna...

set_raj thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

πŸ˜ŠLegends of Radha Krishna 😊

Radha is Krishna's eternal consort. Like the sun and sunshine, Krishna and Radha are one. Radha was born in Barsana, a village about 8 kilometers from Vrindavan (in Uttar Pradesh), to the cowherd Vrishabhanu and his wife, Kamalavati. She was the dearest childhood friends of Krishna. Her love for Krishna was all consuming for she willingly ignored all the societal mores and obligations. 

There were many gopis who were in love with Krishna, but it was the love of Radha that attracted Krishna towards them. It was Radha who gave the greatest pleasure to Krishna. In the divine relationship that was shared between Krishna and Radha it was Radha who played the dominant partner.

The Rasleela or the love game between Radha and Krishna was the embodiment of passion, devotion and spiritual. The Radha Krishna love for each other is pure and transcendental. It is said Krishna, the most loving god of Indian pantheon took immense delight in loving relationships for which he expanded himself into his feminine entity Radha. Therefore Radha is not different from Krishna but two entities with a single soul. . She was the shakti (energy) and like Krishna was the source of supreme godliness.

Radha is known by many names like the Govinda-anandini (one who gives pleasure to Govinda- the Krishna), Govinda mohini (one who enchants Radha), Shiromani Sarva-kanta- (the crown jewel of Lord's concert). One of her names Hara forms a part of the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra (vocative).

Today Radha and Krishna are universal symbols of lover and the beloved and are worshipped with complete devotion and respect all over the world.  

The legends of Radha-Krishna have become immortal. There are numerous legends and stories of Radha and Krishna depicting their true love. Radha's devotion and dedication towards Sri Krishna is the most sincere one. Here are some legends of Radha-Krishna portraying their love for each other.

Legend of Hot Milk
This is one interesting story showing the eternal relation of Radha and Krishna. Radha was not married to Lord Krishna. The immeasurable love of Krishna for Radha made Krishna's wives jealous of Radha. Once, they all planned a mischief to make Radha suffer. They set out a bowl of burning hot milk. They gave the bowl to Radha, saying that Krishna had sent it for her. Radha readily drank the hot milk.

When the wives returned to Krishna, they found him full of painful ulcers. This shows that Krishna resides in every pore of Radha i.e. why the hot milk didn't touch Radha, but it affected Krishna. He took all her pain and miseries upon himself.

Legend of Charanaamrit
This is another sweet story depicting the intense love between Radha and Krishna. Once, Sri Krishna got very ill. Krishna asked that he would be alright if, he would get the Charanaamrit of a true devotee. All the Gopis were asked but none of them offered. They were afraid of committing a serious offense, by offering the water with which they had washed their feet to Sri Krishna.

When Radha came to know about the situation, she said: "Take as much as you like. What does it matter if I have to go to hell as long as my Lord is released of His pain and ailment"! Radha offered the Charanaamrit with true heart. It is due to this fact; it is believed that Radha could not marry Lord Krishna. Radha loved Krishna from the core of her heart but still she offered Charanaamrit to Krishna to save him from his sickness.

Radha and Krishna were celestial beings and their love was eternal. Whether they were married or not, their love made them united for ever.

Young Krishna is known to be very playful and mischievous. The story goes that as a child, Krishna was extremely jealous of Radha's fair complexion since he himself was very dark.

One day, Krishna complained to his mother Yashoda about the injustice of nature which made Radha so fair and he so dark. To pacify the crying young Krishna, the doting mother asked him to go and colour Radha's face in whichever colour he wanted.
In a mischievous mood, naughty Krishna heeded the advice of mother Yashoda and applied colour on her beloved Radha's face; Making her one like himself.

Somehow, the lovable prank of Krishna where he applied colour on Radha and other gopis using water jets called pichkaris gained acceptance and popularity. So much so that it evolved as a tradition and later, a full-fledged festival.
Till date, use of colours and pichkaris is rampant in Holi. Lovers long to apply colour on their beloveds face and express their affection for each other.

Edited by set_raj - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_rajnish_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: set_raj

πŸ˜ŠLegends of Radha Krishna 😊

Radha is Krishna's eternal consort. Like the sun and sunshine, Krishna and Radha are one. Radha was born in Barsana, a village about 8 kilometers from Vrindavan (in Uttar Pradesh), to the cowherd Vrishabhanu and his wife, Kamalavati. She was the dearest childhood friends of Krishna. Her love for Krishna was all consuming for she willingly ignored all the societal mores and obligations. 

There were many gopis who were in love with Krishna, but it was the love of Radha that attracted Krishna towards them. It was Radha who gave the greatest pleasure to Krishna. In the divine relationship that was shared between Krishna and Radha it was Radha who played the dominant partner.

The Rasleela or the love game between Radha and Krishna was the embodiment of passion, devotion and spiritual. The Radha Krishna love for each other is pure and transcendental. It is said Krishna, the most loving god of Indian pantheon took immense delight in loving relationships for which he expanded himself into his feminine entity Radha. Therefore Radha is not different from Krishna but two entities with a single soul. . She was the shakti (energy) and like Krishna was the source of supreme godliness.

Radha is known by many names like the Govinda-anandini (one who gives pleasure to Govinda- the Krishna), Govinda mohini (one who enchants Radha), Shiromani Sarva-kanta- (the crown jewel of Lord's concert). One of her names Hara forms a part of the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra (vocative).

Today Radha and Krishna are universal symbols of lover and the beloved and are worshipped with complete devotion and respect all over the world.  

The legends of Radha-Krishna have become immortal. There are numerous legends and stories of Radha and Krishna depicting their true love. Radha's devotion and dedication towards Sri Krishna is the most sincere one. Here are some legends of Radha-Krishna portraying their love for each other.

Legend of Hot Milk
This is one interesting story showing the eternal relation of Radha and Krishna. Radha was not married to Lord Krishna. The immeasurable love of Krishna for Radha made Krishna's wives jealous of Radha. Once, they all planned a mischief to make Radha suffer. They set out a bowl of burning hot milk. They gave the bowl to Radha, saying that Krishna had sent it for her. Radha readily drank the hot milk.

When the wives returned to Krishna, they found him full of painful ulcers. This shows that Krishna resides in every pore of Radha i.e. why the hot milk didn't touch Radha, but it affected Krishna. He took all her pain and miseries upon himself.

Thanks Raj ,very well writtenπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘  Radha and Krishna The eternal lovers the spiritual lovers πŸ‘, thanks for legend of milk, never read it before πŸ˜ƒ

Legend of Charanaamrit
This is another sweet story depicting the intense love between Radha and Krishna. Once, Sri Krishna got very ill. Krishna asked that he would be alright if, he would get the Charanaamrit of a true devotee. All the Gopis were asked but none of them offered. They were afraid of committing a serious offense, by offering the water with which they had washed their feet to Sri Krishna.

When Radha came to know about the situation, she said: "Take as much as you like. What does it matter if I have to go to hell as long as my Lord is released of His pain and ailment"! Radha offered the Charanaamrit with true heart. It is due to this fact; it is believed that Radha could not marry Lord Krishna. Radha loved Krishna from the core of her heart but still she offered Charanaamrit to Krishna to save him from his sickness.

Radha and Krishna were celestial beings and their love was eternal. Whether they were married or not, their love made them united for ever.

I have read quite different version of this according to what i have read ones Krishna Himself sent His great friend Uddhav to the gopis to teach him what devotion meant. The incident goes as follows

Once to display the devotion of the gopis to others Krishna pretended that He had intense headache which did not respond to any medicine. Then He pronounced, 'Krishna's pain will vanish with the application of mud beneath anyone's feet. However the one giving the mud beneath his feet will die. Proclaim this and then bring the mud which someone gives.' No one was prepared to give the mud from under his feet.

On entering Gokul when Uddhav asked this question to the first gopi that he met, she replied, "If the mud under my feet will relieve Krishna's headache then I am even prepared to go to hell."

The devotion of the gopis is an illustration of ultimate devotion. Radha among them was like a jewel in the crown.

Young Krishna is known to be very playful and mischievous. The story goes that as a child, Krishna was extremely jealous of Radha's fair complexion since he himself was very dark.

One day, Krishna complained to his mother Yashoda about the injustice of nature which made Radha so fair and he so dark. To pacify the crying young Krishna, the doting mother asked him to go and colour Radha's face in whichever colour he wanted.
In a mischievous mood, naughty Krishna heeded the advice of mother Yashoda and applied colour on her beloved Radha's face; Making her one like himself.

Somehow, the lovable prank of Krishna where he applied colour on Radha and other gopis using water jets called pichkaris gained acceptance and popularity. So much so that it evolved as a tradition and later, a full-fledged festival.
Till date, use of colours and pichkaris is rampant in Holi. Lovers long to apply colour on their beloveds face and express their affection for each other.

This remind me of song "Yashomati maiya se puche nand lala Radha kyo gori , mai kyo kala"πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜›" Very great post Raj, please to read it on Janmashtami, thanks one again
set_raj thumbnail

Originally posted by: divya1209

thanks for this info..

you are welcome Divya..
set_raj thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rajnish_Kumar

Thanks Raj ,very well writtenπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘  Radha and Krishna The eternal lovers the spiritual lovers πŸ‘, thanks for legend of milk, never read it before πŸ˜ƒ

I have read quite different version of this according to what i have read ones Krishna Himself sent His great friend Uddhav to the gopis to teach him what devotion meant. The incident goes as follows

Once to display the devotion of the gopis to others Krishna pretended that He had intense headache which did not respond to any medicine. Then He pronounced, 'Krishna's pain will vanish with the application of mud beneath anyone's feet. However the one giving the mud beneath his feet will die. Proclaim this and then bring the mud which someone gives.' No one was prepared to give the mud from under his feet.

On entering Gokul when Uddhav asked this question to the first gopi that he met, she replied, "If the mud under my feet will relieve Krishna's headache then I am even prepared to go to hell."

The devotion of the gopis is an illustration of ultimate devotion. Radha among them was like a jewel in the crown.

This remind me of song "Yashomati maiya se puche nand lala Radha kyo gori , mai kyo kala"πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜›" Very great post Raj, please to read it on Janmashtami, thanks one again

Ur most welcome Rajnish..I love tht Bhajan..Yashomati maiyya se..beautifully sung by Lata.....😊😊

sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
thanks raj for this info
so all the wives of LORD KRISHNA were so jealous of RADHAJI
i think only rukminiji was not jealous as both Radha-rukmini were godess Lakshmi's avatar !!!!

thanks for the panchaamrit story & the holi story !!!
_rajnish_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: sita11

thanks raj for this info

so all the wives of LORD KRISHNA were so jealous of RADHAJI
i think only rukminiji was not jealous as both Radha-rukmini were godess Lakshmi's avatar !!!!

thanks for the panchaamrit story & the holi story !!!

Rukmani was avtar of lakshmi and radharani was avtar of radharani itself, radha was there in golok before dwaparyuga and is eternally there. though if we do ultimate analysis they are one and the same but still there are littile difference.
sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
i saw one documentary on zee tv once ,
rajnish in tht they told Radha ji & Rulmini both r parts of Lakshmiji
even lalitha once posted an article which said radha & rukmini r avatars of Lakshmiji !!!
desichica thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Wonderful wonderful info Rajbhai...Beautifully depicted for pure love and Radhaji's true love....thanx so much....

@ Rajnish...i agree with u on the last part where Krishna is asking Yashoda maya bout Radha's fairness....I was thinking exact same song...and saw ur post ...hehe!!!
desichica thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
oh i read somewhere same thing....that Radha and Rukhmani are one....representing Laxmi ma!!!! Also i read that Laxmi ma has different forms as well...and that all the ladies that Lord Krishna married were forms of MahaLaxmi!!!!!  So, my question is....was Laxmi ma's forms jealous of eachother, except Radha dn Rukhmani....i'm a bit confused
_rajnish_ thumbnail

Originally posted by: sita11

i saw one documentary on zee tv once ,

rajnish in tht they told Radha ji & Rulmini both r parts of Lakshmiji
even lalitha once posted an article which said radha & rukmini r avatars of Lakshmiji !!!

Originally posted by: desichica

oh i read somewhere same thing....that Radha and Rukhmani are one....representing Laxmi ma!!!! Also i read that Laxmi ma has different forms as well...and that all the ladies that Lord Krishna married were forms of MahaLaxmi!!!!!  So, my question is....was Laxmi ma's forms jealous of eachother, except Radha dn Rukhmani....i'm a bit confused

Different sampraday has different thought regarding Radha, some say radha is also a incarnaton of lakshmi as rukmani some say its not. The sect who say radha is not incarnation of Lakshmi belives radha is supreme and and all lakshmi, sita, durga e.t.c are expantion of radha as vishnu ram e.t.c are expantion of krishna. the abode of radha is golok whereas for lakshmi its vakuntha.
                           while their are those who beleve radha and rukmani are incarnation of maha-lakshmi. radha  representing blissful energy while rukmani representing opuluent energy. its just matters what we belive. jiski jaisi bhavnaπŸ˜ƒ
                         One more thing i would like to say here Radha is not mentioned anywhere in Mahabharata nither in Srimad bhagwatam