Debate Mansion

In wake of SKS: censorship/moral responsibility?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged
Hi all, I'm new to the debate mansion. Good to be here..

I have been following the recent debates surrounding Sach Ka Saamna, where some people are arguing that a show like this should not air at all. I am going to disregard that view as totally reactionary, but I will consider the following view put forth by Smriti Irani that such shows should not be on prime time because kids could watch it. I don't know if I agree, but I think it is an arguable point.

I assume many of us would be against either absolute freedom of speech or downright moral censorship. So where is that "in between" space for you?

Do you think that TV programs should consider their moral responsibilities in society? If so, to what extent, and what parameters would you suggest? Where should we draw the line? A good argument that has been raised is that SKS is not doing anything all that different from Saas-Bahu shows, some of which are regressive and promote superstition and sexism, and show women as totally dependent on men and restricted by a billion traditions. On the other hand, I have also seen some people argue that shows like Agle Janam are vlalourizing "immoral" anti-marriage behaviour (I disagree).

Or do you think that the responsibility should rest entirely with the viewership? I have a hard time agreeing with this because I don't think any of us are capable of making a totally free choice. We consume what is made available, and what is popular. We may make intelligent conclusions based on what we see, but to some extent, are we not influenced by and disciplined by what we watch? I have heard some women comment that they don't watch Saas-Bahu shows in front of their mother-in-law because it gives them a complex! This is just a silly example, but I'm trying to point out how these things may subconsciously influence people by bombarding them with images of what is acceptable and unacceptable morally.

Please discuss.

Edited by --arti-- - 10 August 2009 at 8:54pm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "In wake of SKS: censorship/moral responsibility?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 10 August 2009 at 10:59pm | IP Logged

I agree....Smile
Its a nice show....,The questions are too personal, but if someone is ready to face these questions for money.....nobody has right to stop them.....but Polygraphy test is not 100% accurate!...Cos its depends on who you ask..How you ask the question to the person..Smile

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 August 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
Excuse my ignorance, but what is this new show about?

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 10 August 2009 at 11:15pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this new show about?

Sach ka Saamna is the new show on Star TV. The Star Plus Website introduces the new TV show Sach Ka Saamna like this:

The agnipariksha begins today. STAR Plus presents Sach ka Saamna, where contestants will reveal the most difficult truths about their lives in front of their loved ones, in the hope of winning the grand prize of one crore.

Based on the international format, Moment of Truth, which has been successful in 23 countries, the show will be hosted by actor Rajeev Khandelwal and is being produced by Siddhartha Basu's BIG Synergy Adlabs.

Sach Ka Saamna is a show that makes a contestant answers the questions in front of their family and friends, questions that are extremely personal and embarrassing; if they are revealed in-front of everyone. The contestant has the option to leave, or tell their hidden feelings; the real truth that is bound to break many hearts. This intense reality show tests the contestant's greed for money over relationships.

Sach ka Saamna is going to an interesting in new reality show away for the much used dance and music shows used by almost all the TV Channels. So Sach Ka Saamna might be an interesting show to watch.

eg:

Edited by Believe - 10 August 2009 at 11:18pm

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 10 August 2009 at 11:28pm | IP Logged
^^^^ Thanks.

Oh, its a rip-off of Moment of Truth? I hated that show, but its a freakin' reality show. You don't agree with the principles it supports, don't go on it, don't watch it. Plus, its all pretty fake anyways, I think. People have nothing better to do than play silly games in their lives, some mastermind somewhere decided to make money off of it. Big deal.

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 10 August 2009 at 11:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

^^^^ Thanks.

Oh, its a rip-off of Moment of Truth? I hated that show, but its a freakin' reality show. You don't agree with the principles it supports, don't go on it, don't watch it. Plus, its all pretty fake anyways, I think. People have nothing better to do than play silly games in their lives, some mastermind somewhere decided to make money off of it. Big deal.

For money people can do anything!!LOLPeoples can play with their life!!Smile

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 August 2009 at 12:15am | IP Logged
Polygraph tests are not 100% reliable. There are ways to beat polygraphs too. So there never is really any assurance if a person lied or told the truth. Anywho, if you get money for just blabbing the truth - who would not be game. I mean no real intelligence, thought process required. No need to sing like a banshee or dance like a drunk monkey. Just answer questions about your own life. Easy peasy...

Btw what sort of questions do they ask...as in what is too personal? Like whats the furthest base you have been etc. I'm not bothered to watch any videos. I've seen that Lady Gaga clip and that Miley Cyrus pole dance plastered over the internet and need a moral break.

--arti--

Goldie

--arti--

Kasturi, RKS Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 11 August 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged
Well the debate clip I watched which showed Smriti Irani, Rajeev Khandelwal (the show's host) et al debate this topic, they were talking about how a father was answering questions about affairs and such in front of his kids.

The format of the show is that your family/friends are also there, and they can press a buzzer at any time if they want you to not answer a particular question, and that flips the question.

I only watched one episode, where a contestant basically fried her mother indirectly because all her answers were about how her mother had supposedly let her down. Her mom was there and had to keep providing explanations that her daughter was misguided. The whole thing was like a public airing/therapy session. Oh well, I suppose that's the drama that people watch reality show for, they are almost all like public therapy and the emotional unrobing of a person. Maybe we are a sick society that we get pleasure out of that! Confused

Anyway, Smriti Irani kept arguing that when movies have a censor board, so should television shows. Then she said it should not air on prime time. Others were arguing that Smriti's shows are also bad for the public. Rajeev had some good arguments about why the show doesn't need to be censored and that the audience can decide.

I just think this brings up an interesting question of whether there should be parameters about what is shown on TV -- not just like no nudity or swearing, but stuff like the harmful messages passed on to viewers through a lot of Saas-Bahu shows. Whenever people argue that, no, viewers are intelligent enough to choose, it makes me cringe a little bit, frankly. It's like we are saying, look, X% of Indian women are ignorant, and let them remain ignorant, and let them keep watching this, and we'll keep gaining TRPs and selling ads. Shouldn't entertainment have some standards? That's what prompted this debate question for me.

Edited by --arti-- - 11 August 2009 at 7:57am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top