Page 1 of 15

Page 1
Page   of 15
Page 2 Page 15

kal-el

IF-Sizzlerz

kal-el

Posted: 09 August 2009 at 12:17pm | IP Logged

Carlo Ancelotti won his first trophy in England as Chelsea defeated Manchester United 4-1 on penalties in the Community Shield.

The FA Cup-winning Blues were set for success in 90 minutes as Ricardo Carvalho and, controversially, Frank Lampard scored in the second half to overturn Nani's early opener.

But Wayne Rooney then netted an injury-time equaliser for Premier League champions United to level the scores at 2-2 and set up a penalty shoot-out, which Chelsea won as Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra failed from the spot.

Nani opened the scoring when hitting a long-range, right-footed effort past Petr Cech, who could have done better, in the 10th minute.

United then slipped into the groove which has earned three back-to-back top-flight titles as both Park Ji-sung and Dimitar Berbatov forced fine saves from Cech.

However, new Chelsea boss Ancelotti saw his side keep Sir Alex Ferguson's men at bay until half-time and they were rewarded for their efforts with an equaliser in the 52nd minute.

Carvalho, who was linked with Inter Milan in the summer, charged forward and, after Foster collided with Didier Drogba when attempting to punch clear, the centre-back dived to head Florent Malouda's cross into an unguarded net.

Chelsea then took the lead in debatable circumstances as Lampard netted from 16 yards after a quick, 71st minute break, but United were upset that play had not been stopped after Michael Ballack grounded Evra in the build-up.

United, though, hit back in stoppage time of a thoroughly entertaining match as Rooney collected a pass from substitute Giggs to brilliantly dink over Cech and set up a tense shoot-out.

Chelsea duly held their nerve and gained revenge for their defeat to United on penalties in the 2008 UEFA Champions League final as Giggs and Evra saw their tame efforts saved.

In contrast to the ill-feeling in the later stages of the contest, the afternoon had begun in a more fitting fashion with one minute's applause for the late Sir Bobby Robson.

Bright start

When the action began on the pitch, United goalkeeper Foster was tested within the opening two minutes.

Drogba collected a pass from Lampard and fired a 20-yard shot towards goal but Foster, selected in the England squad for Wednesday's friendly against Holland, saved at the second attempt.

It was a bright start by Chelsea as Lampard's corner was met by right-back Branislav Ivanovic, whose effort was headed against the bar by Evra.

But United took the lead with their first real attack of the game in the 10th minute.

Darren Fletcher's sublime cross-field pass was collected by Nani and the Portugal winger beat Ivanovic and Michael Essien before sending a 25-yard drive beyond Cech and into the far right corner.

United should have made it 2-0 in the 16th minute when Berbatov crossed for Rooney to head the ball back to Park on the edge of the six-yard box.

Park was thwarted by a great save from Cech, and the Chelsea goalkeeper then pulled off another excellent save moments later when the South Korean midfielder set Berbatov through on goal.

Chelsea were beginning to exert some control as the interval approached but they failed to find a cutting edge.

That lack of precision was underlined again five minutes before the break when Nicolas Anelka sent a drive just wide of Foster's left-hand post.

A cross from Ivanovic moments later failed to trouble Foster even through Drogba lurked with intent.

Struggle

Three minutes before the break, Cech had to be at his best again to tip a 20-yard shot from Fletcher over the bar.

Chelsea replaced the struggling Ivanovic with Jose Bosingwa at the start of the second half, and equalised in the 52nd minute through Carvalho's diving header.

Lampard and Malouda had combined on the left and when the latter sent over a volleyed cross, Drogba and Foster collided as they went for the ball.

Foster's attempted clearance fell straight to Carvalho, who dived to head the Blues level from eight yards.

Chelsea were full of confidence and Anelka soon tested Foster with a powerful 20-yard drive that the United goalkeeper did well to push away to safety.

In the 59th minute Drogba was inches away from meeting a cross from Ashley Cole as Ancelotti's side continued to control the game.

United were rocked by an injury to goalscorer Nani on the hour. The winger hurt his shoulder in a clash with John Terry and was replaced by Antonio Valencia.

Three minutes later Chelsea replaced John Mikel Obi with Germany captain Ballack.

The London outfit took the lead in circumstances which are bound to create a talking point in the 71st minute after Ballack appeared to elbow Evra but referee Chris Foy did not stop play.

While the United player was down, Chelsea broke away and Drogba's pass to Lampard allowed the England midfielder space to beat Foster with a crisp drive. The ball struck the inside of the left post and bounced over the line before spinning back out.

With seconds remaining Rooney broke clear of the Chelsea defence and slipped the ball beyond Cech for a dramatic equaliser.

But United were not so clinical in the shoot-out as only Michael Carrick scored, and Giggs and Evra's failures were punished by Lampard, Ballack, Drogba and Kalou.

i personaly think as uniteds first major test without ronaldo they played very well, there is life after ronaldo and as far as i am concerned we should have won it.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "football charity shield" in Sports/Cricket forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

ruky786

IF-Stunnerz

ruky786

Posted: 11 August 2009 at 2:14pm | IP Logged
im happy chelsea won but i dont like man utd as i am a Liverpool fan and i hope that the kop players comes back to anfield with the premier league title

and as a LIVERPOOL fan they would say

you'll never walk alone!

Edited by ruky786 - 11 August 2009 at 2:25pm

mandarchod

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

DEEENCH

IF-Dazzler

DEEENCH

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 6:55pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ruky786

im happy chelsea won but i dont like man utd as i am a Liverpool fan and i hope that the kop players comes back to anfield with the premier league title

you'll never walk alone!
Sorry but liverpool r not goin 2 win the league!!
u may win a cup!!LOL

DEEENCH

IF-Dazzler

DEEENCH

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 7:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by stint

Yup i can see us doing really well without Ronaldo... Valencia is good at putting the ball in the box and he can be direct too, he knows how to use his brain... Rooney and Owen will provide the goals for us.

Nani played really well on Sunday but the only thing with him is he is inconistent but i guess it was maybe becasue he was not guranteed a place in starting XI, he had to prove himself every he played. Everyone knows he has the capabilies now hopefully he is more consistent this season... I believe he can get up to Ronaldo's stadard if not higher

Com'on United
Come on do u really think nani will be better than ronaldo!!Shocked
but who else do u guys have!!
& hes his way inconistent!!
& doesnt score many goals!!

& how will owen & ronney score u all the goals!!
owen will get injured soon or later!!
sorry!!

mandarchod

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 4:09am | IP Logged

mandarchod

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 4:11am | IP Logged

DEEENCH

IF-Dazzler

DEEENCH

Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by stint

Originally posted by Preity238

Originally posted by ruky786

you'll never walk alone!
Sorry but liverpool r not goin 2 win the league!!
u may win a cup!!LOL

They will be lucky to win the cup too LOL btw Arsenal aint ganna win anything either Big smile

That's the whole point

U need 2 be lucky 2 win cups

& that is how Liverpool win things luck!!!!LOLLOLLOL

No need 2 bring arsenal into this!!LOLLOLLOL
i know they r not goin 2 win anything!!!LOL
But u never know we may shock u all  Big smileConfusedLOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top