Members Lounge

India-Forums

Members Lounge
Members Lounge

Do you wear...? (Page 6)

Poll Question: Do you wear glasses, contact lenses, or neither?

Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [34.00%]
5 [10.00%]
4 [8.00%]
24 [48.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

ruta Goldie
ruta
ruta

Posted: 29 January 2005 at 10:36am | IP Logged
i got ,my glasses two yrs back when i was gr 9.............but now i wear contacts only on occassions and parties otherwise i'm stuck with glasses.................... i am planning to do laser treatment after i turn 17......

Edited by crazyaboutpurab - 29 January 2005 at 10:36am

munizaaa Goldie
munizaaa
munizaaa

Posted: 29 January 2005 at 3:11pm | IP Logged
I used to wear contacts but now i have infection in my eyes so i m forced to wear glasses but i can still wear contacts for an hour or so
sweetgurl Senior Member
sweetgurl
sweetgurl

Posted: 29 January 2005 at 7:50pm | IP Logged
 im also four-eyedGeek buh its ok at least people think i look smart even though im not Big smileLOLLOL
shikdumGAL Senior Member
shikdumGAL
shikdumGAL

Posted: 01 February 2005 at 11:27pm | IP Logged

i wore glasses for a year...n' didnt like it bc whenver i had to do exersice or play tennis, my glasses wud fall down n' i used to get headaches bc of it only. SO after a year i got contact lense....which turned out to be perfectly fine in wearing, after 2 weeks as they had said! so i m stickin w/ contacts...somtimes in hurry u dont have time to wear it n need glasses...but i heard that if u were glasses n' contacts freqently everyday, then u get more #s, bc when u were glasses, they r kinda 1/2 inches far from ur eye n' it makes difference while contact lense r on ur eyes directly.

Yea...me too...i will have laser surgery at the age of 20. I cud have done it last year when i turned 18 but....my dad changed his mind.Confused

yea....i can hardly recognize person's face when he/she is standing 3 feet away.Geek

queenbee Goldie
queenbee
queenbee

Posted: 02 February 2005 at 12:51am | IP Logged
Hi Anjali, your story struck a chord in me so here's mine: I started wearing glasses when I was 10 years old. My eyesight weakened gradually over the years (to all you smart ppl who read books lying down in dim light and watch TV unblinkingly, it cud happen to you!!) I had switched to soft disposable contact lenses in my 11th Std. , cos there was no way my eyes cud tolerate semi-soft or hard lenses. The number reached -11D in both eyes by the time I was 24 (I think Anjali's might be higher still??). I also took my lens clean-up and sterilization sessions very lightly, I'd wear them continuously for weeks, sleep with them on etc etc. (I know! I know!!) Anyway, my sister is a doctor and she told me I shud go in for LASIK. I visited a clinic of a renowned doc here in Bangalore, got a date fixed, and hey presto! I have perfect vision now. Smile

The doctor did tell me that my number was pretty high, so I wud probably suffer some form of night-blindness, and may not be able to drive at night after the operation. But I guess his experience is tooooo good, I have had precisely zero problems post-LASIK. It does feel very, very scary to go into the OT knowing you might even be blinded for life, in case something were to go wrong. But I would definitely say it's a risk worth taking for someone who is suffering.. (cos at the end of it all you just pray and leave it to God!)... and if you go to a scientific, experienced and renowned doctor (whose clinic has the latest machines) and NOT a quack.

By the way, in my experience, eating Vitamin A really does help. Specially the kind found in eggs, lanolin i think, helps prevent macular degeneration and loss of vision.
*Anjali* IF-Dazzler
*Anjali*
*Anjali*

Posted: 02 February 2005 at 1:06am | IP Logged
wow queenbee---you sound just like me.  yes, my number is slightly higher than yours -12D in both my eyes Geek and i still have lots of studying ahead of me so i'm sure it will continue to rise Confused

so queenbee--even with your prescription, LASIK worked out well???  I'm scared to do it b/c of any possible damage and since my prescription is so high.  You have definitely given me some hope here.  btw, do you have astigmatism in your eyes?
queenbee Goldie
queenbee
queenbee

Posted: 02 February 2005 at 1:21am | IP Logged
Yes, I had myopia and astigmatism both.

Before deciding on it for sure, I suggest you read up as much as possible about it on the Internet and ask around from relatives/friends, cos there's no cure for fear except knowledge. Find out all you can about the anatomy of the eye, the actual operation, possible complications, etc. etc.. When you find a doctor you think you can trust (go by your instincts, they are ALWAYS right) try to ask ex-patients / relatives of ex-patients about their experience with him. In my case, everyone was simply ga-ga over his expertise and their results.

You shud also know that there is a lot of post-operative care required. You will need at least 1 month without any kind of reading whatsoever.. you won't even be able to open your eyes properly within the first week!! It'll hurt too much Pinch ... and you will be putting in 3-4 kinds of eye-drops 3-4 times a day each for the first few weeks! Make sure you have someone to look after you full-time!!!

Also, in some cases, the doctor might decide that once wasn't enough, and go for it a second time (at no extra cost!!) .. this is normal. The eye is so small and delicate and results vary with every person. Even though the actual operation requires the doctor to be precise upto a tenth of a mm or so (imagine..!) no one can exactly predict the outcome. That's the reason I ask that you trust your doctor .. so that he is experienced enough not to fall prey to a human error, nice enough to explain some intricacies without thinking of you as foolish, and up-to-date enough to have the latest, most accurate machines which reduce all kinds of risks.

Don't be scared... Fortune favors the brave Smile

*Anjali* IF-Dazzler
*Anjali*
*Anjali*

Posted: 02 February 2005 at 1:44am | IP Logged
thank you so much for the information, queenbee!! it really helped me clear up some doubts and confusion i had.  It does sound like an excellent procedure, which, as you mention, if handled by an experienced doctor, then it should work out perfectly. 

However, reading your post, I just realized that it may yet be a looooong time before i can get it b/c I have yet to go to medical school still, so i have  A LOT of studying and reading ahead of me.  There's no way that i can give that up for a month at all Confused  But i guess it's good b/c my eyes are bound to get weaker due to studying, so that when i eventually do go for the procedure, my eyes will be at their weakest and so can be corrected for maximally. 

btw, i too have myopia and astigmatism in both eyes, so i wear toric contact lenses.

thanks again for the info---it really helped me understand and has given me some hope that the laser procedure does turn out well Smile

Go to top