Debate Mansion

Are you afraid of the dark?

Poll

Are you afraid of the dark?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Posted: 14 years ago
My apologies if the topic sounds childish, but I thought it wold be interesting discussing (don't think there is much to debate here) why is it that average human beings aren't afraid of actual dangerous things like wild animals, violent criminals or haunted places - so long as they have a light with them; but the very moment the light is turned off, and everything becomes dark and gloomy, people starts shivering in fear? Why does light drive away our fears, and darkness our courage? Is it simply because light makes it possible for us to 'see' the cosmos - and darkness stops us from that? Are we not relying too much on our sight, off all the five senses, because the incapability of hearing, smelling, etc doesn't bother us to that extent? Also, what is it exactly that people are afraid of? Is it solely the darkness, or the barrier to see (would a human being feel the same way if he had his eyes closed) which brings up the [irrational] fear?
Edited by PhoeniXof_Hades - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bohemia thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

I feel it is the fear of losing control over one of the senses. If we just close our eyes, it is still in our control. We can open them anytime. But darkness is not in our control. One does not fear loosing the sense of smell (we do that when we have a cold) or hearing because we can rely on sight. Darkness takes it all away and plunges us into the unknown.

Personally, I was extremely afraid of the dark when growing up but not now.

i am not scared of darkness. nope. had there been no thievish and all i would roam about at night only. actually am nocturnal. 
Well, I too am a nocturnal person, and I wouldn't mind wandering in spooky areas at night either (actually I prefer night over day; the sun has a horrible effect on me, while I feel more calm and at ease at night). Much of the idea sounds fascinating, mostly because night is dark, and darkness is mysterious. However, I do not think it will be that easy if the place turns out to be a completely unknown place where I had never been before.
are you crazy? no, duuuh!
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I'm scared in the dark if I'm in an unknown place. Don't get me wrong, I love the silence of the night and the mysteriousness of the darkness, but I would be more scared in the dark then in light. I think its more of a fear of the unknown then anything else. We feel weak when we lose one of our senses, and we as humans don't like not knowing things. Closing your eyes isn't the same, because like someone said, you haven't lost your ability, you can open your eyes. But it is when you open your eyes and still can't see, that we feel more vulnerable and helpless.

And I don't know about you, but I'm scared of wild animals, violent criminals, and haunted places. And have no problems admitting it.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Never understood why people fear the dark. Except that you do not see and can fall down the stairs. Actually, I like wild animals and creatures like sharks and snakes. What really terrifies me are insects, including butterflies. I think all evil things come in pretty packages like butterflies.
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
No need to fear the darkness.....there is no darkness anywhere.,if you not find it...its simply an absense of light...lights comes and goes....light you can create, and distroy...but darkness u cant create n distroy its always there without being there at all....😊
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Never understood why people fear the dark. Except that you do not see and can fall down the stairs. Actually, I like wild animals and creatures like sharks and snakes. What really terrifies me are insects, including butterflies. I think all evil things come in pretty packages like butterflies.

I am terrified of anything alive that isn't human. Be it butterflies, roaches, or my neighbor's dog.
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

@Underlined😆
Well to tell you honestly im also afraid of insects especailly aunts,cockroaches,lizards are my biggest fear😳
Regarding darkness,yeah i'm much afraid of it and dont go into dark rooms....n seriously want to lock my least favourite people into dark rooms😆
Nice thread,buddy😛
Edited by mahikhan - 14 years ago