FF- A Silent Song (Pt 55; Pg56 on Sep 13) - Page 2

Posted: 14 years ago
Vishaka recognizes her "reason" for life- her swadharma earlier in her life. She cannot be punished for that. We worship Meera for leaving behind everything and becoming a jogan. Vishaka wants to leave behind everything for her music (in my story)- but she is struggling with that ultimate acknowledgment of her 'truth"!
Hey great update, kerep going
Part 3

Ritu. Ritz. Wonder what you are doing right now, thought Dev. It had been almost 6 months since he had returned to India for a short visit and had ended up staying forever.

He had been a carefree, on your face kinda guy, deliriously in love with Ritz, a fey-like being, especially made for him. He had promised Ritz that on his return from his 2 week visit, they would marry and buy that beautiful little home near Half Moon Bay.

He still remembered that day he had come home from the airport: He had found his father almost collapsing with the cancer eating him away silently. He could not believe the spry old man shrunk in his bed was his father who had a roar of a laughter and had made people stand when he entered a room by his sheer power that he emanated.

"Why didn't you tell me, Mom, Dad," he had ranted. "I would have come back sooner."

All Dad had said was, "Son, you are back. Good, now all will be well."

Mother was crying all over his shoulder. Dev had been devastated seeing her become a watering pot, needing all the support she could get from Dev. She was a shadow of her old gracious self, ever smiling and with a twinkle in her eyes.

She also shared with him the serious threat of losing the patrimony to the wastrel cousins- Susheel and his good-for-nothing son, Arjun. The way the inheritance was set up, if the current son abdicated his position as heir to Raj Prohit, then the next in line would be offered the position. Dev knew that Susheel uncle had been quietly awaiting this moment all his life.

Dev knew the immensity of the Raj Prohit position and the amount of work it involved and the range of people and their lives it impacted. During his vacations he had assisted dad on several small projects and he had interacted with several people in various sites administered by the Prohit Trust across the northern states from Rajasthan to Uttar Pradesh.

He had made that fateful call to Ritz that very evening and told her that he may have to postpone his return as all was not well with his father. Ritu had been most understanding, the dear girl.

When the wedding was fixed, he did not know how to break the news to her. Yet, he knew he owed it to her. It was the most difficult thing he had ever done. He had called her at home at the time she would have snuggled up in bed and had held the phone for several minutes not speaking a word with tears silently running down his cheeks.

" Dev, it is you, I know. Why are you crying? How is your dad doing? Hope he is alright. Speak Dev. What is the matter? Why are you silent. I know from the sound of your breathing that you are not okay," cried Ritz.

Dev just said, "Ritz...".

"Please, tell me what is troubling you. We can work it out together. Do you want me to come there? I just need to drive up to the City tomorrow and give my passport to the Consulate. I can fly out next week."

He found his voice and blurted out, "No Ritz. It is all over. Dad is terminally ill. I have to take over the entire function of the Prohit Trust and all that it entails. The position comes with a wife picked in the traditional way. Mother has already chosen a most suitable girl. I told her about you but you do not fit the definition of the perfect "Bahu".

It was now Ritz' turn to be silent. She could not believe it. She thought that she had heard wrong. Her Dev was to marry someone else? That could not be happening. Slowly reality seeped in and she hesitated, "Dev, are you saying that you need to marry some girl that you have never met? Are you never coming back here? Please tell me I heard wrong."

"No sweets, I will be marrying a girl whom I have never met before, next week. I wish, by some miracle that girl will be you. But, I know it is not going to happen. Our dream has ended. It is time for us to wake up."

Both had clung to their phones and cried silently into the night, for Ritz, and day, for Dev.

Dev shrugged off those old memories and stood up forcefully from his chair at work. The administrator from Varanasi said his traditional, "Namaste!" and left the room. The talk of the Vasant Ritu celebration had brought Ritu to mind. His Ritz.

loved it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!👏
there's this poignancy to this tale....which..envelopes you...

i feel the emotions around each character and it is developing amazingly well...

love it... pls update fast.
thank u guys. This is my first try at writing fiction- thanks to all those amazing writers like April, PW, angel to have given me inspiration. I am bettr at "dry" posts!LOL!

rushtrip- thank u for that comment- I don't know if I was coming thru with the emotions. It is interesting to read words written by you and imagining it in your head but whether u can transmit to your reader is a challenge I face. I truly value that feedback.
Block Nice parts..i really like..its different then story..Vishakha wants become singer...let see how she can fulfill her..
waiting for next part..
A different dimension going on here!.. very interesting. bring it on!

waiting for more!
Part4:

As he walked to the car, his cell rang. It was Matt. "Hi, Dev. Is this a good time to talk?"

"Hey, Matt. What's up? Isn't it like 8 in the morning there in SF? What are you doing up so early? I thought you are yet to break your record of seeing a sunrise on the bay," said Dev.

"Actually, am calling you to make sure that you got my final proposal for the Bates' job. They want you to check everything before they sign us up for this project. Can you send in your ideas by tomorrow?"

"Sure, bud. No probs. Yes, I did get your email three days back. I have made some slight changes. I was also thinking of a new idea that just might work in the Bates' case. Let me get back to you by tonight, your time."

"Great! Now that is out of the way, what's up with you and Ritz? She looked like hell the last time I saw her, which was a month back and you have not said a word about her in the past 6 months that you have been gone."

"Well, what is there left to say, Matt? We said bye to each other. It has been almost 6 months and that is that. I do not want to talk about it. She is my past, a wonderful part of my past. I am needed here now and there is no place for her here."

"Dev, I am sorry to hear that. I never thought it would be like this. You and she were so perfect for each other. How is work otherwise? I wonder how you manage it all- the family business and your consultations here."

"Well, I am putting a good team in place here for the Trust work. As for my consultations, you are doing your bit there and I have a good staff put together these past few months who take care of the paperwork and stuff. They are nowhere close to being professional, but we are getting there slowly."

" Still, I think you must be working 18 to 20 hour days, Dev. Take it easy, mate. I need you to be alive and well until the Bates' job is done. If it goes according to plan, I can take my sabbatical."

Dev gave a short laugh and told Matt not to worry about him and signed off. He continued thoughtfully to the car and told Birju to drive home.

He opened his laptop and checked the details once more on the Bates' job and signed into his wireless modem to download the material he kept on his server that connected to his US office of Prohit and Shwartz.

Matt and he had met during their last semester at the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley. They were both finishing up with their MBA in Sustainable Development. They worked on one project together and knew they would be friends forever. They completed and complemented each other's ideas. It was just a step further to combine their resources, put together a decent proposal for VC funding and begin their own private consulting business for Sustainability and Industry.

That had been 4 years ago. It was also the year he had met Ritz. She was an undergrad at UC Berkeley, a true flower child, a throwback from the 60s. She stood out in campus owing to her floral chiffon tops unlike the usual cotton tees favored by the other students. She even made floral wreaths and wove them into her waist-long hair.

It was the flowers that had made Dev notice her for the first time. She was walking down the stairs, a few steps ahead of him and he could not but help notice the wreath of flowers in her hair: Pretty colors of spring woven with green on her dark brown, almost black hair.

He quickly caught up with her and said, "Hi! I really like those flowers in your h…" and he could not continue as he looked into the most beautiful face he had ever seen. He was spellbound. She had the most beautiful smile that enveloped everyone in its surrounding with warmth and sunshine. Her brown eyes looked like Ghirardelli's famous Chocolate sundae topping poured into her whipped cream whites.

She smiled up to him and said, "Thank you. I am happy I made you smile today." Dev shook himself from his trance and asked her, "What is your name, flower girl?"
She grinned back and said, "Ritu." He was pleasantly surprised. "Indian?" he asked. " Yes, a true half-blood Indian!" she smiled back. "And what, may I ask, is your name, stranger?" He stammered and replied, "Dev."

Dev shut his laptop with a snap and closed his eyes tightly. He could not understand why he was being haunted by the thought of Ritz today. He had drowned himself in work since his marriage that was immediately followed by the death of his father and taking over the responsibilities of the Prohit Trust. That left him with very little time to think about Ritz. He refused to allow himself to follow that line of thought whenever it started. However, today was different. Her face kept flashing before his closed eyes as it haunted him when he had them opened.

❤️ wat a nice startin a relationship!!!!!👏