Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

-Divyaa-

IF-Sizzlerz

-Divyaa-

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 12:21am | IP Logged

David Heyman reveals why the last Harry Potter book is split into 2 films
By Genevieve Loh, TODAY | Posted: 25 July 2009 1311 hrs

You're probably thinking that there simply must be some bigger, more commercial, possibly very devious marketing scheme behind splitting the last book of the beloved Harry Potter series into two films.

But David Heyman, producer of the entire franchise, and the man who first optioned the film rights to J K Rowling's gold-minted writings 10 years ago, reassures that it's for the greater good.

"David Yates (the director), Steve Kloves (the screenwriter) and I really wanted to make one film," the British producer told Weekend TODAY over the telephone from Los Angeles, where he was taking a break from shooting the first part of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows.

"From the third film on, we all decided we wanted to adapt the films from the books as opposed to just transferring them.

"It was then that we started telling the stories from Harry's point of view, and we knew we needed to redefine them for the silver screen."

"When Steve started to break (Deathly Hallows) down, we realised there was just so much to resolve that if we just made one film, too much would be lost. At one point, Steve actually said, 'I think there is enough here for three'!" he laughed.

Calling the first film of the two-part finale as having a real "road movie" vibe - with Harry and his friends Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley on the run from the Death Eaters - Heyman said taking time out of filming to promote the sixth chapter in cinemas now (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) was a welcome breather.

"We're currently in Day 94 of shooting... out of 250-odd-plus filming days. And with the most positive response we've had (with Half-Blood Prince) ... it's been a real boost for all of us because it's a pretty long shoot."

When asked if a phenomenonal franchise could ever be replicated again, Heyman said it was possible ("Look at Bond... it goes on and on") but that there is something very special about the Potter series: The kids.

"What is unique about Potter is really Dan (Radcliffe), Emma (Watson), Rupert (Grint) and all the other kids that have been involved right from the beginning and have grown up with the series," he said. "We had them at nine, 10, 11; and now we have them at 19, 20, 21.

"The thing about watching children grow up right before you, and into such accomplished actors, is that it's really amazing to behold. I am not sure if we're ever going to see anything like that happen in cinema again."

Edited by divyalrl - 25 July 2009 at 12:22am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

AnushaDhara_sElusiveDevotionEloquenteshaaax3.-Sakina-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "heyman tells why last book is made into 2 films" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Eloquent

IF-Veteran Member

Eloquent

Posted: 26 July 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged
Thanks for the article!!!

I can never understand the problem some people in UK and US seem o have regarding the splitting up of the movie into two parts, just because it would cost them more money!

When I first heard of it, I danced with glee because I was happy as it ensured me that everything from the book will get into the movies part one and two

I am willing to spend thrice the amount to watch the movies just if they include everything from the book!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

gujunpyo-Divyaa-

Dhara_s

IF-Dazzler

Dhara_s

Posted: 26 July 2009 at 12:07pm | IP Logged
Same here Eloquent....!!! They are more sensible film makers...!!!

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Posted: 26 July 2009 at 1:35pm | IP Logged
I liked his last statement, it's a unique thing truly that they have grown right through the movies, just like the book-trio, though acting-wise, they still have a long way to go, which is natural I guess. At first, I was wary of this idea about splitting the movies and I still am unsure as to how it will turn out in terms of continuity, hope they keep the flow intact. Other than that, I am happy that they want to give full justice to the book by including all that is crucial.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Divyaa-

Asha004

IF-Rockerz

Asha004

Posted: 26 July 2009 at 2:42pm | IP Logged
I actually love the idea!!It just means one more thing we can look forward to....I'm lovin' it!

-Divyaa-

IF-Sizzlerz

-Divyaa-

Posted: 26 July 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged
^^^yeah absolutely when i heard it first i was like so happy.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top