Debate Mansion

Arent reality shows better than serials/soaps? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 7:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

Ah that is an impressive list. most of them are out of circulation. Recently I used to watch Heroes, earlier series were better.
LOLLOL Another point, there were days when Indian soaps too had a storyline and script but these days its nothing but project shaadi as if there is nothing else that Indian women want to do?AngryOuch In this sense arent the reality shows better at least there is variety-singing, dancing, jungle, swayamvar, big boss, comedy, game shows etc

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Arent reality shows better than serials/soaps? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

baz786

IF-Sizzlerz

baz786

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 9:02am | IP Logged
Originally posted by realitybites

I know a lot has been said on Indian serials/soaps but this thought been badgering me for sometime now. Arent reality shows better than teleserials/soaps?

The serials have single minded focus on "shaadi" and all festivals that can be found on the hindi calendar. In real life how many people really spent their time on shaadi and pooja-vrat etc? The rising prices, crime, weather, electricity, water do these not figure in their priorities? Do Indian homemakers only bother or think of these things only? How else do we justify serials whose main theme is shaadi? Is that all to a married woman's life? or are women making a mockery of themselves by watching such stuff?

There isnt lack of creativity or else how do we get the awesome advs?

Reality shows whether inspired or our very own have a far superior concept and of course both genders can watch it. Besides they dont make u an addict for long time as they are time bound.

Good topic realitybites Thumbs Up

simply my view is that reality shows are not better than soaps and vice versa coz both reality shows and soaps are a form of entertainment and the reason why both exist is coz they cater for different tastes.  i myself watch both soaps/serials and reality shows so for me neither is better than the other i like both equally

ps another point i wud like to raise is that soaps are a form of escapism coz most of the time whats protrayed in asian serials doesn't happen in real life where as reality shows are different coz there we encounter real people trying to fufill there dreams in whatever manner they can whether it be singing, dancing etc.  although some of the stuff they show is scripted reality for trps

Edited by baz786 - 25 July 2009 at 9:07am

.bohemian.

Goldie

.bohemian.

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 9:10am | IP Logged

Impressive list. Includes a lot of my favorite shows.Law & Order: SVU, Bones, CSI, Sex & The City, The X-Files, Psych, Mythbusters, Man vs Wild, Remington Steele, Murder She Wrote, Mind Your Language, Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister,

Coming back to the topic, I feel that only a few reality shows like India's Got Talent on Colors are good. But most seem to be scripted. Infact, they have all the ingredients of a daily soap - drama, emotion, comedy. And why can't we have more quiz shows. I love quiz shows.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by realitybites

The reality shows on Indian TV are a breath of fresh air amongst the forever 'shaadi'Angry soaps. My reference is towards the Indian soaps only. The no of channels have multiplied but the content is still the same. Its always theme Shaadi? Why? and do women really watch it or are the TRPs fudged up?

See ur list has all American/English showsLOLLOL. I dream of Jeannie was dubbed in Hindi and shown here.

I do live in USA, so mostly English shows. I believe they dubbed Who's the Boss, Diff'rent Strokes and some others in Hindi too.The only Hindi television channels we get is watched by my grandma which is the mind numbing shaadi soaps which make me wanna hit my wall on the head. So I have a low opinion on Hindi soaps.

I have to say I liked Kutumb and now Antara is also a good show.

Yeah

IF-Dazzler

Yeah

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 12:54pm | IP Logged

@RTH

7th Heaven! Absoloutely loved the show! The characters are so distinct and the stories so interesting!

Coming to the topic,

I do enjoy reality tv, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the occassional soap opera. I think people need a bit of both. Too much reality can possbily make you glum/bored of life. Everyone needs that little fiction...an escape into the magical/surreal world to enjoy life a little more. So a good balance between the two is perfect. Currently, I love watching Kitani Mohabbat Hai, but I love watching So you think you can dance. So get a bit of reality tv and a magical love story. At the end of the day, there are 6billion people in this world, each with varying tastes. Channels understand this so we have a good number of both fake and real shows on tv.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 5:38pm | IP Logged
Hasn't the shaadi theme also been incorporated into reality tv recently? Thanks to a certain Rakhi Sawant?

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 5:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Unfortunately, I watched Kutumb as well. LOL I asked Gauri di how she liked it and she said that she'd never seen it? I then asked her how she found that AV. LOL

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 7:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Unfortunately, I watched Kutumb as well. LOL I asked Gauri di how she liked it and she said that she'd never seen it? I then asked her how she found that AV. LOL

I asked her the same thing. I was all excited that she watched Kutumb, she let me down.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top