Debate Mansion

Arent reality shows better than serials/soaps?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 24 July 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged

I know a lot has been said on Indian serials/soaps but this thought been badgering me for sometime now. Arent reality shows better than teleserials/soaps?

The serials have single minded focus on "shaadi" and all festivals that can be found on the hindi calendar. In real life how many people really spent their time on shaadi and pooja-vrat etc? The rising prices, crime, weather, electricity, water do these not figure in their priorities? Do Indian homemakers only bother or think of these things only? How else do we justify serials whose main theme is shaadi? Is that all to a married woman's life? or are women making a mockery of themselves by watching such stuff?

There isnt lack of creativity or else how do we get the awesome advs?

Reality shows whether inspired or our very own have a far superior concept and of course both genders can watch it. Besides they dont make u an addict for long time as they are time bound.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Arent reality shows better than serials/soaps?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 24 July 2009 at 9:46pm | IP Logged
are we making a comparison of only serials with shaadi as theme with reality shows here?

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 24 July 2009 at 10:25pm | IP Logged
I think both can be equally entertaining and enjoyable. That is why both are popular. But I do not watch a single serial on Zee as I am too lazy to follow the stories.  so my opinion does not count.

But regular comedies series can be fun and I used to watch Sienfeld .

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 July 2009 at 11:32pm | IP Logged
I think reality is the worst thing that happened to television. I always lament 'and when did reality become TV, whatever happened to sitcoms, game shows and on the radio was Springsteen, Madonna and way before Nirvana there was U2 and Blondie and music still on MTV' . But the desi daily soap also falls in the same mind numbing category.

So what do I define as good television, the list is long.

Xena, 7th Heaven, Charmed, Friends, Bewitched, Who's the Boss, I dream of Jeannie, Golden Girls, Iron Chef, 30 minute meals, Diners Drive ins and Dives, Chopped, Next Food Network Star, Mythbusters, Man vs Wild, VH1 I love the 60's 70's 80's and 90's, 30 Rock, The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire, Full House, The Colbert Report, Daily Show with Jon Stewart, What not to Wear, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, True Blood, Sex & The City, Weeds, How I met your Mother, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order, Bones, CSI, The X-Files, Psych, Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, Lizzy McGuire, Even Stevens, The Suite Life, Remington Steele, Murder She Wrote, Mind Your Language, Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister, Flight of the Conchords, The Mighty Boosh, Goodness Gracious Me, The Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers, Charlie's Angels, The Nanny, Paula's Party, Tosh 2.0, Everyday Italian, 40 dollars a day, Raechel Ray's Tasty Travels, Diff'rent Strokes, Star Trek, Knight Rider, Hercules, Burn Notice, National Geographic, History & Discovery Specials and so on and so forth.

Summer3

IF-Stunnerz

Summer3

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 1:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I think reality is the worst thing that happened to television. I always lament 'and when did reality become TV, whatever happened to sitcoms, game shows and on the radio was Springsteen, Madonna and way before Nirvana there was U2 and Blondie and music still on MTV' . But the desi daily soap also falls in the same mind numbing category.

Xena, 7th Heaven, Charmed, Friends, Bewitched, Who's the Boss, I dream of Jeannie, Golden Girls, Iron Chef, 30 minute meals, Diners Drive ins and Dives, Chopped, Next Food Network Star, Mythbusters, Man vs Wild, VH1 I love the 60's 70's 80's and 90's, 30 Rock, The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire, Full House, The Colbert Report, Daily Show with Jon Stewart, What not to Wear, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, True Blood, Sex & The City, Weeds, How I met your Mother, Law & Order: SVU, Law & Order, Bones, CSI, The X-Files, Psych, Wizards of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, Lizzy McGuire, Even Stevens, The Suite Life, Remington Steele, Murder She Wrote, Mind Your Language, Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister, Flight of the Conchords, The Mighty Boosh, Goodness Gracious Me, The Vicar of Dibley, Fawlty Towers, Charlie's Angels, The Nanny, Paula's Party, Tosh 2.0, Everyday Italian, 40 dollars a day, Raechel Ray's Tasty Travels, Diff'rent Strokes, Star Trek, Knight Rider, Hercules, Burn Notice, National Geographic, History & Discovery Specials and so on and so forth.
Ah that is an impressive list. most of them are out of circulation. Recently I used to watch Heroes, earlier series were better.

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 7:04am | IP Logged
Originally posted by clodpolish

are we making a comparison of only serials with shaadi as theme with reality shows here?
LOLClodpolish-ji trust u to twist things! The top serials on most channels have "Shaadi"Dead as the one and only themeConfused so compare them with reality shows at least they have variety!Big smile

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 7:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Summer3

I think both can be equally entertaining and enjoyable. That is why both are popular. But I do not watch a single serial on Zee as I am too lazy to follow the stories.  so my opinion does not count.

But regular comedies series can be fun and I used to watch Sienfeld .

The "shaadi" soaps are very popular ( dont know why) but isnt it boring to have something so banal going on endlessly for months. Same theme on most channels, isnt there a weaning factor?
Seinfeld was brilliant, outstandingClapClap I simply loved itEmbarrassedEmbarrassed.

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 25 July 2009 at 7:42am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

The reality shows on Indian TV are a breath of fresh air amongst the forever 'shaadi'Angry soaps. My reference is towards the Indian soaps only. The no of channels have multiplied but the content is still the same. Its always theme Shaadi? Why? and do women really watch it or are the TRPs fudged up?

See ur list has all American/English showsLOLLOL. I dream of Jeannie was dubbed in Hindi and shown here.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top