AltEnding - Hum Saath Saath Hain

Posted: 14 years ago
*Background Information: Juneja's came back to India after years, rekindling a friendship with the Mann's. As fate would have with, the oldest children, Harman (single father of Arjun [mother died young]) and Ashlesha fell in love, middle children and childhood sweethearts Prem and Heer fell in love and the youngest of both households, Preet and Sukriti fell in love. Oblivious to this fact, the parents announced the marriage of Harman to Heer. This fanfic originally ended happily much to the disappointment of the author, so here she is with an alternate ending!*

Fanfic: http://india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1026237

Hum Rahe Ya Na Rahe

Heer sat in front of the dresser, staring at herself in the mirror. Her sisters walked into the room and silently helped her up. Dropping her gaze to the ground, she stood still as Ashlesha adjusted her duppata and as Sukriti silently took her hand in to her own.

~~~

Harman sat at the magnificently decorated mandap and silently gazed into the fire. Somewhere deep within, regret dug up at him for being unfaithful to Ashlesha, unfair to Heer and negligent of his son, Arjun. His eyes slowly raised and he saw his son sitting in his mother's lap across from him. The young boy smiled slowly at his father, encouraging him and that smile strengthened Harman like no one else could.

~~~

Prem, his back to the staircase, fingered the flowers decorating the mandap. Jasmine. Eyes smarting, he smiled. Heer's favorite. Excited murmurs ran through the crowd and Prem shut his eyes tight, knowing what was behind him. He felt a arm close tightly on his shoulder, and he saw Preet. Looking past Preet, Prem caught sight of Heer being led down by her sisters, both somber faced.

~~~

Reaching the platform, Heer had no other choice but the walk past Prem to her spot next to Harman. Walking past him, she kept her eyes to the ground, burning a hole in it with her intensity.

~~~

Prem shut his eyes as she walked by but that didn't block out the scent. Jasmine. In her hair. Lips quavering, Prem forced them into a smile as he watched Teji Aunty help Heer up a stair and next to Harman.

~~~

Ashlesha clamped her lips together, determined nothing would come out. No protest, no refusal. Harman had made his choice. And she had made hers. If that's how he wanted it to be, than that's how it was going to be.

~~~

The slow steady hum of the mantras being repeated by the priest filled Prem's ears as he watched his older brother and his Heer go through the rituals, stone faces, contrasting the happiness on the faces of their parents.

~~~

Teji and Gayatri, smiling broadly helped Heer up, straightening her outfit. Harman shrugged off the helping hand of Preet and stood up in one fluid movement, his eyes silent as rocks. Ashlesha gazed into them and they looked past her and her heart hardened.

~~~

Her eyes lowered, Heer followed Harman, forcing herself to put foot after foot, all the while silent tears chasing each other down her cheeks. Impatient, and before anyone could catch glimpse of them, Heer wiped at them, but not before one person saw.

~~~

Prem watched Heer follow his brother and didn't, not for a second, miss the swift hand that came up to her cheek and wiped at it. His own vision began to blur as a film of tears took over his eyes.

~~~

Ashlesha watched on as Heer overtook Harman in the pheres and her insides clenched. A small hand wormed its way into hers. Looking down, Ashlesha was met with a warm smile from a young boy. Arjun pulled her hand till she was at his level, and leaning in, kissed her softly on the cheeks. Past the stage of tears, Ashlesha hugged him, angry at her kismat for not only taking away Harman, but her son.

~~~

Sukriti walked over to where Preet was standing and slipped her hand in to his. Surprised at her, Preet looked down to see her staring straight ahead, her pale face glistening with tears. His gaze followed hers and he watched as Harman fastened a mangalsutar at the nape of Heer's neck with trembling arms and felt his own insides shake.

~~~

Heer closed her eyes as she felt Harman's rough but gentle fingers graze her scalp as he filled her part, the bright red sindoor so bright it could be seen across the hall. Heer's heart shook as she came to terms with reality. Her reality now bore the name of Mrs.Harman Juneja.

~~~

Lalit and Balraj ushered everyone into the grand dinner hall to celebrate the conjunction of their family. The photographer insisted on a family picture, so with Harman and Heer in the middle and their parents next to them, the others arranged themselves in the back, with Arjun in Ashlesha's arms. Not a single smile was captured with the exception of four.

~~~

The party lasted well into the night, everyone enjoying and failing to notice how most of the wedding party was miserable. Lalit, noticing and thinking it was because the wedding was over, gently hit a spoon against his glass and immediately silence fell over the great room.

Lalit smiled out at everyone, as Balraj came and stood next to him.

"Aaj mein apne baare bete, Harman ke shaadi Balraj ki beti, Heer se karadi."

Whistles broke out, many guests still in a partying mood. Smiling at them, Lalit held his hands up, asking them to pause.

"Aur ab, mein apni doosre bete, Prem ke shaadi Ashelsha Mann she karaoonga."

Cheers broke out in the great hall but the expressions of Sukriti, Preet, Harman, Heer, Ashlesha and Prem did not change. All six of them had come to the realization that the more they wished for something, the less chances there were of it coming true.

Due to their parents beckoning, Prem and Ashlesha stepped out on the stage and were silent as their fathers placed their hands into each others.

Preet and Sukriti's eyes spilled over, their tears mistaken for tears of joy by onlookers, but in reality, both weeping for the sacrifices their siblings were being forced to make and both, as ashamed as they were of their thoughts, were wishing nothing would happen to them.

Ashlesha looked past people, to Harman's face, willing him to look up. As he had heard her, his eyes lifted underneath his dropping eyelids and both Ashlesha and Harman, stone faced gazed at each other, not being able to break away.

Prem slowly raised his gaze to meet the silent one of Heer's. Looking into her eyes he knew there was no beginning or end for their love story. Their love had always been and will always be. Love does not always end with marriage, but that does not mean love dies without marriage.

Recently, I went back and was looking over this fanfic, and I was kinda mortified. It just seemed so juvinile, but than again, it was still my first fanfic, and I had to give it an alternate ending because I so wanted this to end tragically! So I wrote this down, I don't think it's my best, but I don't think it's that bad either. I tried giving background information before so people who didn't read this fanfic will still be able to understand. :)

Hit the "like" button/comment/critisize!

--shabz

Edited by shabo24 - 14 years ago
OMGG

*edited*

Torture.

This is all my fault...if only I hadn't brought it up and hadn't made you look it over again...

But hey at least there was a happpppy ending that I can still read over and over with gleee!!

This was extremely well-written though...heartbreaking yet amazing! 👏👏👏

The wedding announcement was completely unexpected, but man, it added this sort of touch to it...they'll probably all be living in a joint-family...and Prem will call Heer Bhabi while he's her devar AND jiju. 😲 And Ash & Harman...well you made me like them in this but otherwise I don't like them at ALL. 😳

And for the record, HSSH is one of the BEST first-time written FF's I've read on I-F! So don't youu dare call it childish, immature, and the works, kay? 😳

Edited by Dark Love - 14 years ago
It's not letting me hit the like button. 😳 But I liked your comment. 🤣
Like button has mood swings 🤣
*fingers crossed* Let's hope it stays khafa from the site and never works again. :P
Originally posted by Dark Love

OMGG <- Best reaction ever.

*edited*

Torture. *dances* I know. 😛

This is all my fault...if only I hadn't brought it up and hadn't made you look it over again...LOL - I was planning on this for a while, it was going to be my 25th shot, now it's just my 20th. 😆

But hey at least there was a happpppy ending that I can still read over and over with gleee!! *mutters under her breath* Yeah, well I still stand by the fact that THIS is the read ending!

This was extremely well-written though...heartbreaking yet amazing! 👏👏👏Thank you. *twirls around blushing*

The wedding announcement was completely unexpected, but man, it added this sort of touch to it...they'll probably all be living in a joint-family...and Prem will call Heer Bhabi while he's her devar AND jiju. 😲 And Ash & Harman...well you made me like them in this but otherwise I don't like them at ALL. 😳I don't like Ash/Harman either. That's why I put them together. 🤣

And for the record, HSSH is one of the BEST first-time written FF's I've read on I-F! So don't youu dare call it childish, immature, and the works, kay? 😳*grumbles* You sound like Meera.

oh sorry.. that was a horrible endeing... i hated it..how can heer marry harman.. it was a great part that u updated.. i loved the way the story ended had it been some other couple... n mein khushi khushi se 'like' button press karte.. but now itz prem n heer.. i cant stand this... [;(]... if u had killed them both i wudnt be so sad.. but i hate it to even think of another husband for heer and another wife for prem... plz sweetheart aisa mat karo..
Originally posted by stunninstar

oh sorry.. that was a horrible endeing... i hated it..how can heer marry harman.. it was a great part that u updated.. i loved the way the story ended had it been some other couple... n mein khushi khushi se 'like' button press karte.. but now itz prem n heer.. i cant stand this... [;(]... if u had killed them both i wudnt be so sad.. but i hate it to even think of another husband for heer and another wife for prem... plz sweetheart aisa mat karo..

Muhahaha - I love doing evil stuff like this! It was sad - but I had to and I wanted to write it so there you go! But I'm glad you liked the concept of it and whatnot! :)

Originally posted by Intellienough

But i loved the happy ending...

Really? I thought it was way to cheesy. *shrugs* To each his own I guess.... :)
You. Are. Evil! *Glares*

Reserved!

Edit

Okay, I dont even know why I pressed the "Like" button when I didn't like the tragic ending 😕 oh well...lets just pretend I never pressed it! 😆 So anyways, SHABO! How could you be so EVIL?! This is so not cool! You almost made me cry 😭 cuz the feelings you described were so beautifully written! Poor Prem and Heer, Harman and Ashlesha! *sniff* I feel so bad for them! I am so glad that this is only the alternative ending! Otherwise, I think I would've seriously killed you! 😆 I mean its not like I HATE tragic endings, but in this case I liked the Happy one! So now im gonna go back to the REAL ending and re-read it to lighten up my mood! 😃 kay? Byeee!!!

Luv,
Gari 😳
Edited by Garima93 - 14 years ago