Debate Mansion

Living relationship Vs Marriage (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 7

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 7
Page 4 Page 7

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 20 July 2009 at 6:16am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Living relationship Vs Marriage (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

pinkstarrs_9

IF-Rockerz

pinkstarrs_9

Posted: 20 July 2009 at 7:58am | IP Logged
Its choice i guess
if couple love each other n they have understanding
than its there decision
i got nothing against it Smile

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 20 July 2009 at 8:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

To me, it seems more like they want to have the option of packing their bags and walking out at any given point, which again defeats the purpose of a serious relationship.

Each person has a different perspective on relationships. I lack faith in marriage not because of the concept, but because society has degraded it to a contractual legal obligation instead of the testament of unconditional love it should be.

RTH dont live in a fancy world.. marriage is always about sex and procreation.....LOL

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 20 July 2009 at 8:31pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by the_Naked_face

So,
Whats your thoughts on Living relationship against marraige? what are the advantages, disadvantages..and what do you prefer and why?

Depends on one's views on both the things.

Anyways, i prefer being alone LOL

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 July 2009 at 9:39pm | IP Logged
Since people have brought up issues like dating and roommates. I wanted to clarify some misconceptions and assumptions about western culture.

Compatibility is essential in a successful marriage or long term relationship. The two people need to share some sort of common interests, goals etc. The concept of dating is that two people spend some time together to figure out if they indeed have something in common to have a long term relationship.

Many conservative cultures view this as frivolous and meaningless relationships. However, this is not so. Western cultures typically do not have the system of arranged marriages etc. Each person is expected to find their own spouse. So instead of family collectively looking at a series of potential matches and picking one, the individual is responsible for it.  When two individuals meet and like each other, they go out for dinner, movies, or some common interest activities like bowling etc to get to know each other and see if they want to move forward in a long term relationship. Just like an arranged marriage may have simultaneous talks with  two or three potential matches to pick the right one, a person may simultaneously date more than one person to see who is the best match.

Of course western culture is much more open about sex and pre-marital sex is prevalent. Many people will have one night stands or date casually. That is just one aspect of dating, and the aspect that is usually portrayed. There is a large section of western culture that also adheres to cultural values similar to that of the east. Many times family and friends will try introducing people to someone they think they might like. Many people are part of religious and cultural groups that promote platonic dating, loosely similar to arranged marriages. Dating sites like e-harmony, are actually very similar in structure to marriage sites like shaadi.com. Instead of family looking for suitable family, its individual looking for suitable individual.

In essence its the same process of courtship and relationship building, east is more collective about it, west is more individualistic about it.

Coming onto the second issue - roommates. Roommates are completely different from live-in relationship. A live-in is when two people who are romantically involved choose to live together, often sharing stuff like a married couple, but without marrying. Roommate system is when two or more people share an apartment or a house. This arrangement is usually platonic. Most people will move out on their own for school, work etc. Unless they are well to do it usually is impossible to afford an apartment on your own. People will choose to share with friends, acquaintances, or through some roommate agency. Yes there are times when a male/female roommates do develop into romantic relationships, many people who share rooms with oppsite sex usually have very strong policies about not dating or getting involved with roommates.

For some reason a lot of eastern cultures are fixated on the fact that a male and female can never be friends. However, as Kal-El mentioned there is the much loved as well as much dreaded 'friend zone'. Men and women will have friend zones. A person in a friend zone is someone you perceive simply as a buddy, a platonic mate. The boundaries are drawn and its impossible for you to perceive them in a different way. People will often put roommates, coworkers, and people whom they have hung out with as friends into that category. Men and women may have crushes on roommates or one of their buddies and worry about getting put into the friend zone. Most roommate arrangements tend to have several ground rules etc. Two people of opposite sex can share a house, apartment or even a room and view each other as friends. This is very common place in the United States. Another aspect is that people have personal preferences in relationships, a certain type they date - they usually choose roommates who is a buddy type and someone whom they will most likely not fall for. A lot of people are also very aloof roommates who will not even communicate with roommates and just remain distant.

As for attachments - When you share a house with someone for a very long time, you are bound to get exceptionally close emotionally. For some that may translate into falling for someone. However, that is not the case. In fact even same sex straight roommates get emotionally attached. The characters of Joey and Chandler were the source of a lot of humor on friends, due to their close friendship and often husband/wife like behavior. They often would get very emotionally posessive and jealous when one of them was in a relationship. Its simply attachment, that people experience. We get attached to family when we live with them, roommates are like family and people develop attachments to roommates. Men have been surprised at how they got attached to their roommates, Many people have said leaving a roommate of several years was as emotionally overwhelming as a break up. This maybe a form of familial love, but its not a romantic interest. So just because the two people happen to be the opposte sex does not mean its automatically love or romance. The risk of falling for someone is there. Also its not always the girl who suffers due to it. Joey fell in love with Rachel, but she viewed him just as a friend. In seventh heaven Matt Camden falls for a roommate and mistakenly makes a move and ends up being kicked out.

So live-in is very starkly different from roommates. In a live-in there is a romantic relationship pre-existing. Attachment already exists. Physical intimacy exists and there are no ground rules to prevent or prohibit it. Two people in a relationship choose to live together for intimacy and getting to know each other.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

-Snehaangelic_devilkarandel_2008U-No-PooMindbender

Mindbender

IF-Sizzlerz

Mindbender

Posted: 20 July 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged

The characters of Joey and Chandler were the source of a lot of humor on friends, due to their close friendship and often husband/wife like behavior.

Also its not always the girl who suffers due to it. Joey fell in love with Rachel, but she viewed him just as a friend.

One doesn't give TV shows as examples no?LOL

Edited by clodpolish - 20 July 2009 at 9:50pm

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 July 2009 at 9:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Hmm, I did not mean to sound so demeaning in my original post - so I'd like to apologize for that first. I really do believe that we all have our own opinions and a right to believe in them.

No you did not sound demeaning at all. I just wanted to express a different perspective.

Having said that, I can see where you're coming from. But to me, marriage is a promise of spending your life with that one person you love with all your heart, and when you can love someone unconditionally, I don't think that marriage is a contract or an obligation. Perhaps I'm too much of a romanticist, but I really do think that marriage makes things different, it changes a relationship, gives it a different meaning. If I love someone more than anything in the world, then why would I need the option of walking out on him or having him walk out on me. When you're that in love, I don't think there's any need for having such options, but then again what do I know.

Actually, I mostly concur with what you say. When you are really in love, thats that, you dive in and you do not even think of options to walk out. Not all people perceive live-in as an option to walk out. For a lot of people its like, you know neither of us are going to walk out, we have that intimate personal commitment emotionally within ourselves - is there not enough trust and integrity in a personal commitment that we have to reaffirm it through some archaic social ritual.

I'm kind of a silly romantic too. But probably twisted in my way. I beleive in the whole Ishq Vishq thing Amrita Rao's character says. A person may not want the option, but I want to give it. Because love should be unconditional and free. I want to give every possible freedom to turn around and walk out. Its probably naive, but if someone stays despite that freedom - this relationship was meant to be. I never want to be in a relationship where someone feels they are obliged to stay because they married or that they need social ritual approval for their emotional committments.

And quite honestly, I am pretty selfish, and would never want to skip the once-in-a-lifetime chance of having a wedding.

No harm in being selfish. Marriage is probably one of the most beautiful selfish rituals. When someone is truly in love, they want to climb on a rooftop and shout out to the world 'I'm in Love'. Marriage is kind of a more civilized alternative to screaming on rooftops.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 July 2009 at 9:54pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by clodpolish

The characters of Joey and Chandler were the source of a lot of humor on friends, due to their close friendship and often husband/wife like behavior.

Also its not always the girl who suffers due to it. Joey fell in love with Rachel, but she viewed him just as a friend.

One doesn't give TV shows as examples no?LOL

I love using Friends as an example. Actually we covered Friends in one of our market research classes. It maybe a sitcom and exaggerated. However, it was the most well researched and accurate portrayals of urban Gen X in the nineties - their social behaviors and culture.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top