Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 14 years ago
Since people have brought up issues like dating and roommates. I wanted to clarify some misconceptions and assumptions about western culture.

Compatibility is essential in a successful marriage or long term relationship. The two people need to share some sort of common interests, goals etc. The concept of dating is that two people spend some time together to figure out if they indeed have something in common to have a long term relationship.

Many conservative cultures view this as frivolous and meaningless relationships. However, this is not so. Western cultures typically do not have the system of arranged marriages etc. Each person is expected to find their own spouse. So instead of family collectively looking at a series of potential matches and picking one, the individual is responsible for it.  When two individuals meet and like each other, they go out for dinner, movies, or some common interest activities like bowling etc to get to know each other and see if they want to move forward in a long term relationship. Just like an arranged marriage may have simultaneous talks with  two or three potential matches to pick the right one, a person may simultaneously date more than one person to see who is the best match.

Of course western culture is much more open about sex and pre-marital sex is prevalent. Many people will have one night stands or date casually. That is just one aspect of dating, and the aspect that is usually portrayed. There is a large section of western culture that also adheres to cultural values similar to that of the east. Many times family and friends will try introducing people to someone they think they might like. Many people are part of religious and cultural groups that promote platonic dating, loosely similar to arranged marriages. Dating sites like e-harmony, are actually very similar in structure to marriage sites like shaadi.com. Instead of family looking for suitable family, its individual looking for suitable individual.

In essence its the same process of courtship and relationship building, east is more collective about it, west is more individualistic about it.

Coming onto the second issue - roommates. Roommates are completely different from live-in relationship. A live-in is when two people who are romantically involved choose to live together, often sharing stuff like a married couple, but without marrying. Roommate system is when two or more people share an apartment or a house. This arrangement is usually platonic. Most people will move out on their own for school, work etc. Unless they are well to do it usually is impossible to afford an apartment on your own. People will choose to share with friends, acquaintances, or through some roommate agency. Yes there are times when a male/female roommates do develop into romantic relationships, many people who share rooms with oppsite sex usually have very strong policies about not dating or getting involved with roommates.

For some reason a lot of eastern cultures are fixated on the fact that a male and female can never be friends. However, as Kal-El mentioned there is the much loved as well as much dreaded 'friend zone'. Men and women will have friend zones. A person in a friend zone is someone you perceive simply as a buddy, a platonic mate. The boundaries are drawn and its impossible for you to perceive them in a different way. People will often put roommates, coworkers, and people whom they have hung out with as friends into that category. Men and women may have crushes on roommates or one of their buddies and worry about getting put into the friend zone. Most roommate arrangements tend to have several ground rules etc. Two people of opposite sex can share a house, apartment or even a room and view each other as friends. This is very common place in the United States. Another aspect is that people have personal preferences in relationships, a certain type they date - they usually choose roommates who is a buddy type and someone whom they will most likely not fall for. A lot of people are also very aloof roommates who will not even communicate with roommates and just remain distant.

As for attachments - When you share a house with someone for a very long time, you are bound to get exceptionally close emotionally. For some that may translate into falling for someone. However, that is not the case. In fact even same sex straight roommates get emotionally attached. The characters of Joey and Chandler were the source of a lot of humor on friends, due to their close friendship and often husband/wife like behavior. They often would get very emotionally posessive and jealous when one of them was in a relationship. Its simply attachment, that people experience. We get attached to family when we live with them, roommates are like family and people develop attachments to roommates. Men have been surprised at how they got attached to their roommates, Many people have said leaving a roommate of several years was as emotionally overwhelming as a break up. This maybe a form of familial love, but its not a romantic interest. So just because the two people happen to be the opposte sex does not mean its automatically love or romance. The risk of falling for someone is there. Also its not always the girl who suffers due to it. Joey fell in love with Rachel, but she viewed him just as a friend. In seventh heaven Matt Camden falls for a roommate and mistakenly makes a move and ends up being kicked out.

So live-in is very starkly different from roommates. In a live-in there is a romantic relationship pre-existing. Attachment already exists. Physical intimacy exists and there are no ground rules to prevent or prohibit it. Two people in a relationship choose to live together for intimacy and getting to know each other.

Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: return_to_hades

The characters of Joey and Chandler were the source of a lot of humor on friends, due to their close friendship and often husband/wife like behavior.

Also its not always the girl who suffers due to it. Joey fell in love with Rachel, but she viewed him just as a friend.

One doesn't give TV shows as examples no?😆

Edited by clodpolish - 14 years ago
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

Hmm, I did not mean to sound so demeaning in my original post - so I'd like to apologize for that first. I really do believe that we all have our own opinions and a right to believe in them.

No you did not sound demeaning at all. I just wanted to express a different perspective.

Having said that, I can see where you're coming from. But to me, marriage is a promise of spending your life with that one person you love with all your heart, and when you can love someone unconditionally, I don't think that marriage is a contract or an obligation. Perhaps I'm too much of a romanticist, but I really do think that marriage makes things different, it changes a relationship, gives it a different meaning. If I love someone more than anything in the world, then why would I need the option of walking out on him or having him walk out on me. When you're that in love, I don't think there's any need for having such options, but then again what do I know.

Actually, I mostly concur with what you say. When you are really in love, thats that, you dive in and you do not even think of options to walk out. Not all people perceive live-in as an option to walk out. For a lot of people its like, you know neither of us are going to walk out, we have that intimate personal commitment emotionally within ourselves - is there not enough trust and integrity in a personal commitment that we have to reaffirm it through some archaic social ritual.

I'm kind of a silly romantic too. But probably twisted in my way. I beleive in the whole Ishq Vishq thing Amrita Rao's character says. A person may not want the option, but I want to give it. Because love should be unconditional and free. I want to give every possible freedom to turn around and walk out. Its probably naive, but if someone stays despite that freedom - this relationship was meant to be. I never want to be in a relationship where someone feels they are obliged to stay because they married or that they need social ritual approval for their emotional committments.

And quite honestly, I am pretty selfish, and would never want to skip the once-in-a-lifetime chance of having a wedding.

No harm in being selfish. Marriage is probably one of the most beautiful selfish rituals. When someone is truly in love, they want to climb on a rooftop and shout out to the world 'I'm in Love'. Marriage is kind of a more civilized alternative to screaming on rooftops.

Originally posted by: clodpolish

One doesn't give TV shows as examples no?😆

I love using Friends as an example. Actually we covered Friends in one of our market research classes. It maybe a sitcom and exaggerated. However, it was the most well researched and accurate portrayals of urban Gen X in the nineties - their social behaviors and culture.
Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I love using Friends as an example. Actually we covered Friends in one of our market research classes. It maybe a sitcom and exaggerated. However, it was the most well researched and accurate portrayals of urban Gen X in the nineties - their social behaviors and culture.

oh alright !

yeah actually,they do exaggerate but the small points they keep exaggerating , you can't help but feel connected to it !😃

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

[quote]Marriage is against nature. You can be certain only of this moment that is in your hands. All promises for tomorrow are lies -- and marriage is a promise for your whole life, that you will remain together, that you will love each other, that you will respect each other till your last breath. And these priests, who are the inventors of many ugly things, say to you that marriages are made in heaven. Nothing is made in heaven; there is no heaven. If you listen to nature, your problems, your questions will simply evaporate

If you are attracted to something which is a challenge to get. You see a beautiful man, a beautiful woman; you are attracted. Nothing is wrong in it. You feel your heart beating faster. You would like to be with this woman or man, and the attraction is so tremendous that in that moment you think you would like to live with this woman forever.

intelligent world, people will love, but will not make any contracts. It is not a business! They will understand each other, and they will understand the changing flux of life. They will be true to each other. The moment the man feels that now his beloved holds no joy for him, he will say that the time has come to part. There is no need for marriage, there is no need for divorce. Then friendship will be possible. You ask me why friendship is not possible between men and women.... Friendship is not possible between the jailer and the imprisoned.

Copy rights to- Osho

[\quote]

-Sneha thumbnail
Oh that's a highly interesting one!!

Marriage! I'd go for Marriage anyday... I won't rant on and on about how we have our cultures and traditions and so on as Indians (though am in Mauritius, lets consider it the same thing) because as SRK so beautifully says in Swades, just because another community or country has its own set of culture and traditions differing from ours that we do not agree with, why should we assume they are wrong without even knowing them?? I'd go along those lines as well...

I, for one, don't agree with the concept of live-in relationships... As I said once in one my posts out there: If it truly is True Love, then why is marriage seen as shackles? Why do the couple talk about not wanting to go through the shackles of marriage? Doesn't live-in relationship equate to the notion of fear? Fear that at least if the person leaves you someday and goes away, you can still move on unattached and "free'?....

I agree with Sarina on Amrita's dialogue in Ishq Vishq, my friends know, that's one of my favourite dialogue of all time " Agar Aap Ka Pyaar Jaana Chahe, To Usse Jaane Do... Agar Woh Laut Ke Aye, Toh Woh Tumhara Hai.... Warna Yeh Samjhlo, Keh Woh Tumhara Kabhi Tha Hi Nahin".... But two things... Firstly I don't agree when Sarina talks about how live-in relationships keeps someone free... But that again comes down to our POV! It doesn't mean that someone in a live-in relationship automatically has trust because she/he wants to stay despite being free... I see it more like staying in fear of, that someday, there might, I repeat there might be someone else to take away that place... If someone is truly in love, he could still be married and not feel bounded by duty to stay at all... Or otherwise the divorce rate wouldn't be so up there today!! Lol....

I feel Marriage doesn't keep you bounded, infact, it just increases the trust between you and your partner many notches up!!... Moreover, in today's world, its not as if, and that apllies to any country in the world except a few still higly orthodox villages, any spouse would feel the "duty" to stay if he/she is not happy in the marriage... Also, the problem about the kid... On a personal front, I'd rather be a Divorcee with kids, than an unwed mother with kids... Matter of opinion again!!... Lol

Lets just say, I also wouldn't want to miss that once-in-a-lifetime (hopefully) chance of getting married... Afterall, every girl dreams of her wedding day and wedding night!... I am just one of the many!!....

Great topic again!!....

Cheers,
Sneha
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Live in reltn is like a trial period whereas marriage is a commitment
live in a learning license and marriage permanent.
Originally posted by: sneha0601

Firstly I don't agree when Sarina talks about how live-in relationships keeps someone free... But that again comes down to our POV! It doesn't mean that someone in a live-in relationship automatically has trust because she/he wants to stay despite being free... I see it more like staying in fear of, that someday, there might, I repeat there might be someone else to take away that place... If someone is truly in love, he could still be married and not feel bounded by duty to stay at all... Or otherwise the divorce rate wouldn't be so up there today!! Lol....

I am not sure that you are taking what I mean by 'unconditional and free' love in the same context. Could you please explain what did you take my interpretation to be. Based on that I will clarify further. 😊