Debate Mansion

Living relationship Vs Marriage

Posted: 14 years ago
So,

Whats your thoughts on Living relationship against marraige? what are the advantages, disadvantages..and what do you prefer and why?

My thoughts later.

Xoxo

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

baz786 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
interesting topic ROA

my thoughts simply marriage over living in relationship anyday

coz i think if one was to be in a living in relationship it may cause problems between the couple and also affect relationship with parents.

there are many things wrong with a living in relationship

main one being that if ur in that situation in the first place i assume u'd be living in sin

i don't see advantages to having a living in relationship but maybe someone else can put some pros across

edit actually there are advantages to living in relationships that can apply to mariage as well in terms of both male and female working

where as as far as marriage is concerned

u won't be living in sin the relationship will be pure in the eyes of God

that's not to say that marriage can't have problems as well firstly even before marriage finding a suitable life partner can be difficult.  from a male prospective one has to think that the girl has to get along with both the person they are marrying and the husbands family

advantage of marriage for a girl is that if they choose to work which is there choice they keep there own earnings and can contribute to household earnings if they wish to although that responsibility is really for the husband

oh yeah there's also a question of being faithful the ones partner in marriage one is faithful and there isn't a question at least in most cases that the girl or the boy have been sexually active before marriage

whereas with a living in relationship whose to say whether the boy or girl are faithfull to one another they both may have had partners other than there current relationship

that's all i can think of rite now, but i think of more i'll add more
Edited by baz786 - 14 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
There has been a similar topic in the past here.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/104580

But I'm curious what some of the newer people have to add to this.

Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: the_Naked_face

So,

Whats your thoughts on Living relationship against marraige? what are the advantages, disadvantages..and what do you prefer and why?

My thoughts later.

Xoxo

Living relationship is very common in the west and is also practised is most modern societies.
In some western societies often by the age of 18 the kids are kicked out of the house and asked to survive on their own; so this can promote living relationships as the kids will be away from the watchful eyes of the parents.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
I don't see the point of a live-in relationship. Two people love each other and are ready to live together, then get married and settle down. What's up with this living together but not committing to any kind of relationship business. To me, it seems more like they want to have the option of packing their bags and walking out at any given point, which again defeats the purpose of a serious relationship.

Now of course, after reading my views, many people will pound me with questions on rights, and who-is-society-to-decide-anything, and blah, blah. So, I will reply to that by saying that obviously if one does not believe in the institution of marriage (for whatever unknown reason), then all of this becomes null and void.

And once again, these are purely my views, I cannot stop people from being reckless and stupid, therefore they can do whatever the heck they want, just don't expect me to approve of it.

Gosh, do I sound bitter or what?
Originally posted by: Summer3

Living relationship is very common in the west and is also practised is most modern societies.
In some western societies often by the age of 18 the kids are kicked out of the house and asked to survive on their own; so this can promote living relationships as the kids will be away from the watchful eyes of the parents.

I'm sure you are referring to 'live-in' as in a romantic relationship.

I just wanted to highlight for those who maybe unaware that live-in and roommates are different. There are many people in the west who will have opposite sex roommates, a system which is frowned upon in India. There are also co-ed dorms/rooms in many colleges and hostels. While a lot of more conservative societies are skeptical about it - there are several boy-girl roommate situations that are completely platonic.
Originally posted by: *Woh Ajnabee*

To me, it seems more like they want to have the option of packing their bags and walking out at any given point, which again defeats the purpose of a serious relationship.

Each person has a different perspective on relationships. I lack faith in marriage not because of the concept, but because society has degraded it to a contractual legal obligation instead of the testament of unconditional love it should be.

Anyway, for me the 'option to walk out' is the most vital part of a real and deep relationship. For me it is a testament to love when a person stays with you, despite the option to walk out at anytime. I think the best thing that can happen to people is that they hit a point where they do not need to 'ritualize' their commitment to each other or expect obligations - you just know for a fact that the other person will always be there and not just because they are obliged to but because they want to.
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

I'm sure you are referring to 'live-in' as in a romantic relationship.

I just wanted to highlight for those who maybe unaware that live-in and roommates are different. There are many people in the west who will have opposite sex roommates, a system which is frowned upon in India. There are also co-ed dorms/rooms in many colleges and hostels. While a lot of more conservative societies are skeptical about it - there are several boy-girl roommate situations that are completely platonic.

well the bold part is possible is one of the room mate is a homo. otherwise it is highly unlikely for a girl and a boy to live together and fall in love.

Originally posted by: sandya_rao7

well the bold part is possible is one of the room mate is a homo. otherwise it is highly unlikely for a girl and a boy to live together and fall in love.

Nah. Boys and girls can live together and be platonic. I've see it happen. It all depends on the fact that the other person is not your 'type'.
Summer3 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Nah. Boys and girls can live together and be platonic. I've see it happen. It all depends on the fact that the other person is not your 'type'.

Often in such platonic relationship the ladies are  in the losing end I think.
Of course some men too can be easily hurt.