Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 9

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 9
Page 4 Page 9

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 10:42pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Science vs. Religion (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 10:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Kal El

I'd say science and religion coexist like a married couple where they husband-wife are always arguing over every little thing. But at the same time they can't stay away from each other.  LOL

Originally posted by return_to_hades

And religion kind of is like science fiction as one website (cannot remember which) out there puts it. Now pardon my insensitive humor here. The Torah is like the first part. The New Testament is the sequel. The Quran retcons everything like it never happened. Mormoms liked part two so much they created an alternate universe based on it.

Let me add: the first part was really a sort of crossover/reimagining of Semitic and Zoroastrian cultures, the latter being a spin-off from the subcontinent. LOL

And if they really did think like science nerds, they would realize that it is OK to create fan fiction that changes everything. Why I might say, big bang is nothing but an alt-fic of creation. LOL

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 11:00pm | IP Logged

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 11:06pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 16 July 2009 at 11:09pm | IP Logged
Labib, I think you and I share a completely different perception on religion hence the discrepancy. From the way you put it, it seems that you perceive the term 'religion' to be something that is doctrinal and more or less organized into a system. When you take western contemporary monotheism or even many forms of pantheism, it seems that religion is such a rigid system.

However, I believe that religion and science are two intertwined aspects of faith. As man evolved he attempted to explain the phenomenon and the world around him. Religion explained the world through stories and myths, while scientists tried to find answers experimentally.

I strongly disagree that religion does not seek to explain answers or study the world. The world we live in is physical as well as metaphysical. Science deals with the physical aspect, while religion tends to address the philosophicl and metaphysical aspects and there are realms that cross over.

Like science, not all religions attempt to or address the need for a creator. Not all religions require doctrines or mandates. For example in Hinduism a nastik or one who does not believe in God can also be  a Hindu. Jainism and Buddhism emerged as religions because Mahavir and Siddhartha Gautama attempted to explain the cosmos and life in their own way through spiritual experiments. Taoism is a spirtual philosophical system and Confucianism is a ethical philosophical system. Many of these 'religions' may not have studied things in a 'techincal' and 'scientific' manner. However, they did contribute largely to social sciences and offer insights on human aspects like ethics, administration, etc. 

Perhaps in all conventional wisdom it is absurd to think that science can be a religion. However, to me it makes perfect sense. Religion gives spiritual answers, science gives physical answers. I personally prefer a balance of both.

Besides it is not as if there are no zealots and extremists in science either. Some scientiically bent people are no worse than religious fundamentalists casting their own judgments on others.

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 17 July 2009 at 12:57am | IP Logged

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 17 July 2009 at 1:20am | IP Logged
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."--A.Einstein   I feel both are interrelated each other, so keep the organized knoweldge and wisdom in life...
Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

poooohjjjazzzzz

Goldie

poooohjjjazzzzz

Posted: 17 July 2009 at 11:56am | IP Logged
science has changed and developed religion......

Post Reply New Post

Go to top