Health & Fitness

How do parents affect their children's weight ??

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

WillSmith456

IF-Rockerz

WillSmith456

Posted: 14 July 2009 at 12:37am | IP Logged
How do parents affect their children's weight?SmileSmile

New research suggests that there is a strong link in obesity between mothers and daughters and fathers and sons, but not across the gender divide.

A study of 226 families by Plymouth's Peninsula Medical School found obese mothers were 10 times more likely to have obese daughters. For fathers and sons, there was a six-fold rise. But in both cases children of the opposite sex were not affected.Smile

The researchers believe the link is behavioural rather than genetic. They say the findings mean policy on obesity should be re-thought.Embarrassed

What are the main factors that affects a child's weight? Have you inherited your body shape from one of your parents? How does your weight influence your child's?SmileSmile

Edited by centurions89 - 14 July 2009 at 12:37am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "How do parents affect their children's weight ??" in Health & Fitness forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Ipshitaa

Goldie

Ipshitaa

Posted: 19 August 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged
lol...guess its behavioural only...u tend to catch ur father or mother's eating habits the most since u end up following them the most.

~devi~

Goldie

~devi~

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 20 August 2009 at 7:21am | IP Logged
interesting. good topic Thumbs Up
i think..i am not sure, but i think i heard somewhere that obesity can be due to genetics?...i am really not sure. its possible i suppose..
i agree with Ipshitaa in the possibility that children might like the foods that their parents like...etc.

Ipshitaa

Goldie

Ipshitaa

Posted: 20 August 2009 at 12:29pm | IP Logged
^^ yeah genes do play an important role increasing the propensity towards developing obesity but with proper precautions wrt diet and lifestyle, obesity can be avoided as well.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top