Book Talk

Kabuliwale ki bengali biwi---awesome novel

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

instantkhichdi

Goldie

instantkhichdi

Posted: 02 July 2009 at 12:54am | IP Logged
For the first time in my life, I am reading a Hindi version of  a Bengali novel "Kabuliwale ki bengali biwi". I haven't finished reading it yet, but I wanted to share that that novel is simply amazing...
It is a real life story of the author Sushmita Bandhopadyay.
The author, who was born and bought up in Calcutta and fell in love with an afghan man Jaanbaaz. She marries him and decides to settle with him in Afghanistan. Till this point, she is not aware of the terrible conditions prevailing in Afghanistan.
When she goes there, she was shocked to see the mud houses, kuchaa roads, tanks, missiles etc on her way to Jaanbaaz's village. There was no electricity, although there were "electric" poles without electric cables!
She was welcomed by her in laws. They sprinkled sugar on her and then shot guns in open atmosphere (aiming towards the sky). The author felt scared, until a bearded man told her that  this was a way of welcoming a new bride as they didn't had crackers in Afghanistan.
The author has described many strange conditions of the country....She imagined herself becoming like people of Afghanistan. The author was a literate had a good family background, totally opposite from that of the local people of Afghanistan. She notices that they don't have other veggies other than potato, onion and tomato...their cooking habits were entirely different....houses were made of mud and walls were very broad, the gateway of houses was so large that even a bus can enter it.
There were no doctors....but she describes one in a place called "Mehsana", where she went for treatment as she was unwell from some days.
The doctor (who didn't looked like one!) asked her the problem.....She replied that she had a stomach infection, and the doctor moved the stethoscope at her stomach! she came top know that the person was not actually a doctor...the doc gave her calcium sandoz and some other pills and said she was suffering from jaundice! Authors in laws said "such a nice doctor.....very intelligent person". The author clearly came to know about the illiterate and poor medical background.....
She describes many incidents, including the ones where she directly faces men with weapons. She spent 3 years in Afghanistan, trying to get in their culture, until one day...her husband leaves her.
Just then, entire things described above come as flashback in the book.
I still have to read further.... sorry for grammatical or spelling errors (If any)...

Edited by instantkhichdi - 02 July 2009 at 1:01am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Kabuliwale ki bengali biwi---awesome novel" in Book Talk forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

pisces25

IF-Rockerz

pisces25

Posted: 05 July 2009 at 11:05am | IP Logged
Oh wow it seems interesting.

srimaz

srimaz

Posted: 11 August 2009 at 11:31am | IP Logged
Hi,  is this bookin English.  I've seen the movie and would love to read the book.

forever12

forever12

Posted: 11 August 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged

thanks, i would have a try~~

aish_punk

IF-Sizzlerz

aish_punk

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 7:12am | IP Logged
Oh..nice..but i do'nt read Hindi books..! Embarrassed

Post Reply New Post

Go to top