Bengali Mafia in Kaminey!

RiyaK09 IF-Sizzlerz
RiyaK09
RiyaK09

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged
When Bengali mafia ruled Mumbai
Prithwish Ganguly / DNA
Sunday, June 28, 2009 23:59 IST Email

Mumbai: If your image about Bengalis is that of intellectuals, be ready for a surprise in Vishal Bhardwaj's forthcoming film Kaminey. The film-maker is set to demolish the established concept of the Bengali stereotype and show them in a negative light. Vishal is exploring the role Bengali mafia plays in Mumbai's underbelly.

In his new film, Vishal Bharadwaj bares the role the Bengali mafia plays in Mumbai's underbelly.

A source says, "The film will take a fresh angle to the Bengali stereotype and show the Bengali mafia at work. Vishal is certainly keeping up with his reputation for the unusual and what's most interesting is the cast of the film. He has cast new Bengali actors with major theatre background to play the roles of these underworld goons."

Actors Chandan Roy Sanyal, Debu Mukherjee and Rajavata Dutta play three notorious men involved in shady deals. Reportedly many Bengalis have been involved in some notorious crimes in Mumbai city for many years now and have played key figures in the city's throbbing underbelly.

Mumbai has been a witness to many riots due to religious differences, seen many bombs rip it apart and is a home to thousands (including Bengalis) who travel to the city daily in search for a better life.

The source adds, "For Chandan and Rajatvata this is their first foray into Hindi cinema and both are visibly excited. Chandan plays Shahid Kapur's best friend in the film."

Vishal says, "There was no particular reason that we went looking for Bengali characters in the film. But we did not want the stereotypical Maharashtrian don of Hindi film. The underworld is run by people from many regions in the cosmopolitan Mumbai. We wanted interesting characters and Debu, Rajatava and Chandan play three Bengali book-keepers involved in shady businesses."

Edited by RiyaK09 - 29 June 2009 at 4:54pm

RiyaK09 IF-Sizzlerz
RiyaK09
RiyaK09

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged

Man, this movie is SOO unpredictable! I would have never guessed about the Bengali mafia part, I didnt know even know Bengali mafia existed in Mumbai! I

Talking about Kaminey being unpredictable, I thought the "Fatak" song where Shahid (Guddu) is doing his street dance with many other people (he's also wearing a red scarf), so I thought it was a Ganpati puja dance, turns out...Guddu is preaching safe sex and the use of condoms in that song! HA!

desigrl27 IF-Dazzler
desigrl27
desigrl27

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 5:47pm | IP Logged
I'm soo looking forward to this movie!!!!
glamritz Goldie
glamritz
glamritz

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by RiyaK09

.......Guddu is preaching safe sex and the use of condoms in that song! HA!

ShockedShockedShocked what ??! I thought it was another Moriya Moriya Bappa Moriya song !!! Omg... use of condoms.. i wonder what the lyrics of the whole song are !! LOL
RiyaK09 IF-Sizzlerz
RiyaK09
RiyaK09

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:39pm | IP Logged

^^ Yeah dude!! Thats what all the Shahid fans thought! That it was a perfect Marathi Ganpati Puja song! But no, we have to keep in mind that this movie is called Kaminey, so everyone is a Kamina in the movie and also possible perverts haha

This is what I think, Guddu gets Sweety pregnant and then he's like "ab kahan gayi tumhari science....HOME science." Sweety prob gets mad and says "Toh kya rape kiya maine tumhara" HAHA and then Guddu prob sings the song

Here's the article, it has some lyrics!

Shahid Kapur has developed a social conscience as he has a song in Kaminey with a cautionary note about AIDS. Without sounding preachy, the song filmed in the red light district promotes healthy and frequent use of the condom. The direct reference is timely in wake of the AIDS epidemic that continues to spread at an alarming rate in India.

The entire song sequence talks about the importance of using condoms, and playing it safe. Our source said, "Sukhwinder Singh lent his voice to this song and the lyrics go: Bhawra aaya aayaa re, gun gun karta aayaa re… Yeh ishq nahih aasan, AIDS ka khatra hai… pathwar pehen kar jaana- yeh aag ka dariya hai.

Shahid's character in Kaminey is involved in social service. So he walks into a red light area with a red ribbon around his neck and that's when he starts singing the song. The promos of the song will be aired in August."

The lyrics of this song have been written by Vishal Bharadwaj, who is also the producer, director and music composer of the film

mango-frost IF-Stunnerz
mango-frost
mango-frost

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:49pm | IP Logged

omgggg...all i read was guddu gets sweety pregnant and i scrolled down the page as fast as i cud....lmaoooo!!

i agree, this movie is really unpredictable..
RiyaK09 IF-Sizzlerz
RiyaK09
RiyaK09

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged
And you thought Guddu was a acha bacha?!ROFL
mango-frost IF-Stunnerz
mango-frost
mango-frost

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 10:54pm | IP Logged
YESSSSSS!! lolll is he not?? ConfusedLOL

no wait, i dun wanna noe LOL

Go to top