Book Talk
Book Talk

India-Forums

Favorite Fictional Best Friends? (Page 3)

HPCRAZY Goldie
HPCRAZY
HPCRAZY

Posted: 29 June 2009 at 3:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ammygurl

Originally posted by HPCRAZY

Hey you have just reminded both me & MusicalAishwarya of the fact that there were other best friends in Harry Potter books who shared equally strong bonds of friendship as Harry-Ron & Hermione trioBig smile How could we have forgotten James Potter & Sirius Black when talking about fictional best friends!Embarrassed Everything you've said about their wonderful friendship is absolutely true! & there are ample evidence in the books(Especially the 3rd Book)  to back them up too; "You'd have thought that Black & Potter were like brothers,inseparable", "Potter trusted Black beyond all his other friends" & ofcourse straight from the horse's (that is to say Sirius'sLOL) mouth ;" Your father was the best friend I had in the world & he was a good man" That was such a moving lineCry
Wow! You & your best friend are known as "Sirius & James." That's totally cool!Big smile

yeah...that's pretty cool...and hey...that is what i was thinking..how could you forget these two..awww.....i hold a criminal grudge against you....arrest them for that...lol...LOLLOL...but your answers are good too...:)
Thanks buddyBig smile & please don't hold a grudge against usCry Please..I beg you..I will go on my knees if only you will forgive usLOLLOLIt was a honest mistake on our partsEmbarrassed I mean,can you blame us for forgetting other guys when 2 hot hunks like Harry & Ron are around?Tongue

Btw,here's another pair of  fictional friends whose friendship was just so amazing & touching to read...that of Mariam & Laila in "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled HosseiniThumbs Up
shellytt Senior Member
shellytt
shellytt

Posted: 30 June 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged

Has anyone read "Anne of Green Gables"? What do you think of the friendship between Anne & Diana?

I like these two friends. They balance each oother out, I think. Anne lives in a world of fantasy and although Diana is along for the ride, I think she also has a foot in reality.

However as they grew older, we realize that their interests become more far apart, however that does not necessarily hinder the bond that they share.

I also love the Jem, Scout, Dill group. I love the fact as someone mentioned before that jem and Scout, are brother and sister and also friends, however Jem was growing out of that a bit by the end of the book, but you can still see that he cares for Scout and would still be able to trust her with his confidences, especially after the "incident". Dill I think was drawn to Jem and Scount because of lonliness and he out of the three benefitted most from the friendship as it gave him a sense of belonging that he lacked.

Another best friend pair I liked is Eve and Mavis from the In Death books. These two are from total opposite ends of the specturm and yet, they understand each other even without the need for words. They woul also both go out of their comfort zones in order to please the other.

Another best friend pair I like is from the book Marley and me. What could be a greater, truer  best friend that the love of a wonderful dog!

I also liked the relationship between Lady Russell and Anne Elliot from Jane Austen's Persuasion. That shows how a friend is alsways looking for the best for her best friend. That friendship had its flaws, but I think fundamentally it was great.

The friends in teh book "The boy in the striped Pajamas" are also a fantastic testiment to friendship crossing all boundaries. (Sorry, can't remember the characters names at the moment)

Lastly, I know that this isn't technically a book, but their can be no truer illustration of best friends, than the Comic strip Calvin and Hobbes!

Great topic btw. I think I outdid myself with my examplesLOLLOL

Edited by shellytt - 30 June 2009 at 1:59pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

HPCRAZY

ammygurl IF-Dazzler
ammygurl
ammygurl

Posted: 01 July 2009 at 4:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by shellytt

Has anyone read "Anne of Green Gables"? What do you think of the friendship between Anne & Diana?

I like these two friends. They balance each oother out, I think. Anne lives in a world of fantasy and although Diana is along for the ride, I think she also has a foot in reality.

However as they grew older, we realize that their interests become more far apart, however that does not necessarily hinder the bond that they share.

I also love the Jem, Scout, Dill group. I love the fact as someone mentioned before that jem and Scout, are brother and sister and also friends, however Jem was growing out of that a bit by the end of the book, but you can still see that he cares for Scout and would still be able to trust her with his confidences, especially after the "incident". Dill I think was drawn to Jem and Scount because of lonliness and he out of the three benefitted most from the friendship as it gave him a sense of belonging that he lacked.

Another best friend pair I liked is Eve and Mavis from the In Death books. These two are from total opposite ends of the specturm and yet, they understand each other even without the need for words. They woul also both go out of their comfort zones in order to please the other.

Another best friend pair I like is from the book Marley and me. What could be a greater, truer  best friend that the love of a wonderful dog!

I also liked the relationship between Lady Russell and Anne Elliot from Jane Austen's Persuasion. That shows how a friend is alsways looking for the best for her best friend. That friendship had its flaws, but I think fundamentally it was great.

The friends in teh book "The boy in the striped Pajamas" are also a fantastic testiment to friendship crossing all boundaries. (Sorry, can't remember the characters names at the moment)

Lastly, I know that this isn't technically a book, but their can be no truer illustration of best friends, than the Comic strip Calvin and Hobbes!

Great topic btw. I think I outdid myself with my examplesLOLLOL

u r soooooo right about calvin and hobbes...hw could i forget them? aww
HPCRAZY Goldie
HPCRAZY
HPCRAZY

Posted: 01 July 2009 at 5:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by shellytt

Yep,Anne & Diana were truly "bosom friends"TongueTheir basic natures were rather different;Anne was a romantic dreamer with plenty of spirit  & Diana was more practical, sensible & rather timid in nature.& like you've said,as they grow up Anne is portrayed as cleverer & ambitious where as Diana,after completing her schooling settles down for the simple life of a house wife.But what is remarkable about both of them & their friendship is that they accepted each other for what they are & loved each other for what they are & so they have never had a single quarrel through out their friendship.That is truly amazing.Approve

[/QUOTE] I also love the Jem, Scout, Dill group. I love the fact as someone mentioned before that jem and Scout, are brother and sister and also friends, however Jem was growing out of that a bit by the end of the book, but you can still see that he cares for Scout and would still be able to trust her with his confidences, especially after the "incident". Dill I think was drawn to Jem and Scount because of lonliness and he out of the three benefitted most from the friendship as it gave him a sense of belonging that he lacked.  [/QUOTE]

Hey,that's an excellent  point you've made their about Dill! Although I've read "To Kill a Mocking Bird'' many times, it never dawned on to me that Dill was the person who reaped the most benefits out of his Summer friendship & the adventures which came with it!Big smile Now that I think about it,I see how true that isSmile Wow,Thank you for driving that point home,Shellytt!Big smile Now I love Dill's character more than everEmbarrassed

[/QUOTE] Another best friend pair I liked is Eve and Mavis from the In Death books. These two are from total opposite ends of the specturm and yet, they understand each other even without the need for words. They woul also both go out of their comfort zones in order to please the other.  [/QUOTE]
I haven't read any of those books..will add them to my "To be Read" list thoughSmile 
[/QUOTE] Another best friend pair I like is from the book Marley and me. What could be a greater, truer  best friend that the love of a wonderful dog!  [/QUOTE]

Oh yeah! Yet more proof to show that dog is indeed man's best friend.Big smile I too immensely enjoyed reading "Marley & Me'" & I can't remeber the number of times I've burst in to laughter while reading about those crazy times John & Jenny have gone through thanks to the antics of their nutty dog MarleyHug.No one could fail to fall in love with this crazy lovable doggie who gave unconditional love,affection & devotion to his master,mistress & their 3 kids while driving them nuts at the same timeLOL I'm not the crying type & I hardly, if at all cry over books or movies but when I was nearing the end of this book I just couldn't hold back  tearsEmbarrassed

[/QUOTE] Great topic btw. I think I outdid myself with my examplesLOLLOL   [/QUOTE]
I'm glad you didLOL You've come up with some great examples & I truly enjoyed reading the superb accompanying analysis too!Thumbs Up ClapPlease do add if you come up with any more great Fictional friendsBig smile

Edited by HPCRAZY - 01 July 2009 at 5:57am
ammygurl IF-Dazzler
ammygurl
ammygurl

Posted: 06 July 2009 at 1:46pm | IP Logged
marley and me? isnt it a movie???
shellytt Senior Member
shellytt
shellytt

Posted: 08 July 2009 at 8:21am | IP Logged

marley and me? isnt it a movie???

Like most good movies, it was actually a book first.SmileWink
U-No-Poo IF-Sizzlerz
U-No-Poo
U-No-Poo

Posted: 09 July 2009 at 9:14pm | IP Logged
Harry, Ron and Hermione. Defenitive winners for me :)

eexxoottiicc IF-Rockerz
eexxoottiicc
eexxoottiicc

Posted: 12 August 2009 at 5:58pm | IP Logged
Macy and Wes from the Truth about forever - Sarah Dessen. Although eventually they began to like each other... but their friendship was cute :)

Go to top