Ramayan

DOTW:Would you have criticized Rama if....

Poll

he hadn't exiled Sita, hadn't asked for Agni praveshna or her shapat?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
Okay, before you instinctively hit the No button...

We've discussed exhaustively whether or nor Rama did the right thing in case of the Agni praveshna, Sita's exile, and his final asking her for her vow.  I'm not trying to re-create that long drawn discussion here.  Today, I'd like to flip the question and frame it as a hypothetical the other way.

Let's say, in the Ramayan, the story flows normally, but the following never happened:
  • Agni praveshna
  • Sita's exile
  • Sita's final vow
Oh, and  let's  say, for this example, that people in Ayodhya did have their doubts about Sita, but Rama simply ignored them and went about his business.  After the war, he simply accepted Sita as she was, took her to Ayodhya, let her give birth to Kush and Luv, brought them up w/ the rest of their cousins, installed all 8 brothers on thrones when they came of age, and at the end of it all, RLBS and SUMS all peacefully and happily returned to Vaikuntha 😍😍😍😍

Would you have criticized him had he taken such decisions❓  Or more precisely, would you have criticized those decisions of his
had he gone that route❓

P.S. Please - no 'he had to do all that he did b'cos....'.  We know all that.  I'm just curious whether people would have supported the opposite decision had Rama taken it and gone the other way
  VIewbies note: I think this is a good topic for discussion so sticking it up  as DOTW
Edited by akhl - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LeadNitrate thumbnail
it really depends on the situation. i mena had rama done that, things wud have been def different , and now sitting about 1000 yrs or so after that happened who knows we wud have criticised ram as an arrogant ruler who paid no heed to what his subjects though.
 or maybe then lord Ram would not hva ebeen lord R but just some  great monarch, who had  accepted exile to keep his promisse for his father, had rescued his wife.

time, place matters a lot.
samirah23 thumbnail
Hi - the first agnipariksha, Sitaji understood why she had to do.  This was enough for me.  But, the exile and then asking for another test/oath was too much.  Agni was not even able to touch Sitaji - this is no ordinary woman. 
Mallika113 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Chandra, good and thoughtful post. The first agni pariksha was probably justified for those times in which Ramji and Sitaji lived. Eventhough Ramji never doubted her purity when she came back from Lanka, she had to do it for the public's satisfaction. But after that, there should never have been any test or question about Sita's purity or chastity. If people had talked, Ramji should have ignored and kept his queen and ruled with justice. He should have still had duty to his wife, who followed him for 14 years in vanvas and came back pure from the evil Ravan. What else was there to prove? People would always talk about some rumor and each and every person can't be tested for every rumor about them. Ramji knew more than anyone that his wife was the purest form of soul! Anyway, it had been destined to happen this way, maybe to teach all humanity a lesson, that even great kings had to go through troubled times like this and give up family for righteous ruling of a kingdom!
jai sri ram thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
yes & no
coz sure, what he did 4 Sita mata was very rude but he was in the obligation of his raj dharm so ...........
he just sacrificed his patni 4 dharm ....
but she was so pure ........
anyway, he knew the truth & all but he had to behave like a simple manyshya ......
really, poor Mata ..
Raji suffred more than his wife by being separated from her

Vibhishna thumbnail
Good questions, Chandraketu. As Tannistha said, it depends on the situation and on a person's point of view.

We have already discussed why Ram did what he did.

As to whether I would have criticized Ram if he had taken such decisions, my answer is no.

First of all - it was a very tricky situation Ram faced. He had to choose between the duty towards his people and the duty towards his wife.

Secondly - it was HIS decision. He knew very well about his wife and ignoring the FALSE rumours would have told the world that Ram still trusts his Sita. Yes, that would not have suppressed the rumours and many would have criticized that he forgot his duties because of a woman and tarnished the honour of his ancestors. The people did not understand the strength of Sita's character - the only thing that was stuck in their minds was that Sita was a woman who had lived in another man's house for so long. Though it was a matter between them, the decision could have effects beyond the four walls of their home, hence the calamity. If Ram had decided to honour Sita for being true to him always, then, I feel that there was no need to question it.

Lastly - from what I can understand of Ram and his character, he would not have taken these decisions unless he can handle the situation without causing any upheaval and bringing down the glory of his family and the country. Could Ram have stamped out the rumours by showing his support and trust that Sita was pure and honouring her? If he could have done that, then definitely, Ram would have taken this decision.
Edited by Vibhishna - 14 years ago
chen2chic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Good Poll Chandra!
Vibs - I like your analysis.
Had the Agnipariksha happened in Ayodhya, no one may have raised a question. But since it happened in front of rakshasas and monkeys, the so called humans in Ayodhya failed to accept it. And the exile and final vow were just the aftermath of this.

In his decision to exile Sita, though his family was initially upset, all including Sita accepted the decision and did not raise questions at him. And the praja did not get a chance to point fingers at him.

Had he taken the other decision of having Sita by his side, that would have been fodder for the praja to keep talking for generations to come.
Kal El thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I would probably have criticized him a bit for not doing something when people were doubting his wife's honour. As a husband, he had to protect her dignity too (besides his raj dharm) and to simply ignore the accusations and let people go on saying that stuff about Sita would be...uncomfortable. Maybe he should have devised an Agni Pariksha for the people: all subjects who doubted Sita would have to walk through fire. If they burned their suspicions were wrong. If they remained untouched they were correct. πŸ˜†

How about this: what if Rama had abdicated the throne in Bharata's favour and left with Sita? This way he wouldn't have had to abandon his (pregnant) wife and he wouldn't be "forcibly" keeping Sita as the Queen when people suspect her. As it is Bharat was doing an excellent job ruling Ayodhya. This would have taught quite a lesson to the people of Ayodhya since they would have lost both Rama and Sita due to their stupid suspicions. πŸ˜‰

Edited by Kal El - 14 years ago
Vibhishna thumbnail
Originally posted by: Kal El

I would probably have criticized him a bit for not doing something when people were doubting his wife's honour. As a husband, he had to protect her dignity too (besides his raj dharm) and to simply ignore the accusations and let people go on saying that stuff about Sita would be...uncomfortable. Maybe he should have devised an Agni Pariksha for the people: all subjects who doubted Sita would have to walk through fire. If they burned their suspicions were wrong. If they remained untouched they were correct. πŸ˜†

How about this: what if Rama had abdicated the throne in Bharata's favour and left with Sita? This way he wouldn't have had to abandon his (pregnant) wife and he wouldn't be "forcibly" keeping Sita as the Queen when people suspect her. As it is Bharat was doing an excellent job ruling Ayodhya. This would have taught quite a lesson to the people of Ayodhya since they would have lost both Rama and Sita due to their stupid suspicions. πŸ˜‰

Good idea Kal El - this Agni Pariksha sounds better. πŸ˜†
πŸ˜†
Even if Ram had given the throne to Bharat (as he planned to when he heard the rumours), the blame would still follow him. The people would have talked that Ram preferred Sita to his duty. By excusing himself from his duty just because he wanted to be with Sita would have made the people think that their suspicions are true and that Ram accepts it by stepping down from the throne. Though we know that Devi Sita was pure, those people could not have understood it all.
Khalrika thumbnail
Vibs, wonderful answers to some very good questions by Chandra. U da woman! πŸ‘

The reason for this avatar was to show humans how to do one's duty despite harsh realities in life. Abdicating the throne is an abdication of duty. This is a no-no anywhere. Why do u think the Queen of England has not abdicated the throne to her son Prince Charles even though she has become very old? Queen Elizabeth II is known as a duty bound monarch.

Also, as a human this avatar was taken to show no matter how tough your problems u don't run away from them. Abdicating would have been like running away from problems.

Also Kal, Sita was not just the wife. She was the queen of Ayodhaya. As a queen she is fair game. Also, Ramayan shows that a good ruler/king/elected official does not repress free speech even if it against Sitaji. These are the basic lessons of Ramayan. The praja has every right to question its king just like today's population has every right to question their elected official. More so in those days because the children of their king and queen would have become their ruler one day. Why do you think the people who run for office in the US have background checks? Actually, if they are running for a big office like the President then their family members are also checked.

I think the people of India have completely forgotten this little lesson in today's world. It is ok to question your rulers/officials. It is no wonder that India is still poverty ridden 60+ years after its Independance. I think it is people like us, the educated folks who are also responsible. I include myself in this and I am not just passing judgment on others. The educated people of India have run away from the country's problems to other countries. Instead of running away, had we stayed and faced it like Ramji did, India would be a much better country today.

Sita as their queen was answerable to their questions. The praja had every right to question her. If she did not like being looked at under a microscope, she should not have become queen and sat on the throne with Ramji. She should have stayed like Kausalya mata and others.

How relevant the lessons of Ramayan are to today's time!