Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 3 Page 4

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 24 June 2009 at 9:11am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "True Blood vs. Twilight (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 24 June 2009 at 9:16am | IP Logged

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

AreYaar

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 June 2009 at 10:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Personally, I despise the way Twilight is written. Meyer uses way too much of adverbs, adjectives and extremely lengthy descriptive passages to expresses a thought or emotion, instead of choosing carefully structured sentences and vocabularies, which would have conveyed the same meaning/idea, but in an even better way. A writer should let some of the things for the readers to imagine, instead of *telling* each and everything. On that way, a reader feel a lot more connection to the book and the characters.

Actually, the usage of adverbs and adjectives or detailed descriptions is not her problem. Her problem is the limited vocabulary and lack of 'colorful' descriptors. J.R.R Tolkien who was a brilliant author with the most vibrant imagination, was extremely verbose describing things in exceptional and to many people tedious detail. Its kind of a supertask to get into the LOTR series, because Tolkien is excessively descriptive. You get used to it by Tom Bombadil though, and it actually helps you imagine creatures, places, characters, that you have not seen and perhaps never will. He also describes the emotive state of mind in depth too. For example in the movies, you see Faramir as just capturing Gollum, Eowyn just being defiant to ride to war. The books show the mental thought process, emotional torment that takes the characters to a whole new level. I would not reccomend LOTR to average readers though. Too tedious and boring to get into.

You can use adjectives and adverbs in a better sense. Instead of 'blue' say something like 'cerulean' 'turquoise' or 'sapphire' give it more depth. Meyer's problem is not in the use of descriptors but in using very weak, mundane or juvenile descriptors.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-SnehaBeyond_the_Veil

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 24 June 2009 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Although, I disagree a book has to give rise to moral, ethical and philosophical questions. 'Green Eggs & Ham' is by far the best book ever written, period. No question about it.

What, then, according to you, constitute a good book?

Green Eggs and Ham followed by Cat in the Hat.

Which book should be classed higher in terms of quality: The one which is thought provoking, lets your mind wander, or the one which literally feeds you up and takes you into a fantasy kingdom, but teaches you nothing about the real world ahead?

That would depend on why you are reading and what you expect. I do not think why 'Zombies' would of any less quality than 'Nihilism'. As the Queen of hearts would say there is a  moral to everything. She said there is a mustard mine her nearby, and the moral of the story is the more there is of mine the less there is off yours.

To be completely honest, a good book is defined by the reader. If the reader enjoys it its good, if not its not. Books are a part of media. They may serve an education, and thought provocation process. But all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Books are meant to engage, entertain and be enjoyed. And each person has different entertainment needs. Sometimes you need a good deep thought provoking book, or a heart wrench biography - sometimes you just need the plot - what plots.I enjoy reading, when I get the time. I'm quite nerdy and will read  the deep and philosophical stuff. However, I would dread the thought of even saying Kefka's Metamorphisis is a better book that Enid Blyton's Wishing Chair.

That is why I may not consider 'Twilight' a good book. However, I cannot deny the fact that a lot of people do find it good. It provides them the entertainment they are looking for. Twilight is a book, I probably would read to while the time away. Perhaps it will even find a spot on my shelf collection. My primary concern is I will never get the hype. This is a very juvenile princess diaries type teenage angtsy book. I do not understand why some of the much better written vampire romances or vampire fiction do not get attention.

Yes, you can judge the writing. Language is technical. There is technical aspects like grammar, spelling and punctuation. There is language level too, is it first grade or is it college level - is it appropriate for your target audience. Fiction writing is also a technique and it can be dissected. What is the pace? What are the plot devices used? What POV is used? Are the characters well defined? And a whole lot more that you would learn in a creative writing course to dissect a book. I can confidently say that Twilight is a very poorly written book because of very low language levels, low vocabulary, weak characters and improper use of plot devices. However, I do not think I can say it is a bad book or deserves to be trashed - because it serves its purpose for the target audience.

On a final random note, this may sound bizarre odd and twisted in a sort of way - but I think the best judge for the quality of an author is how well they can write P***. If it is revolting, makes you uncomfortable or makes you laugh out loud the author sucks. If it takes full effect, then the author is GOD. Then there is all good things in between. And yes if you take an advanced fiction writing class in college, you will be asked to write literary p***. Once you can master this imaginatively and aestheticlly, you can really tackle most elements of fiction.

Beyond_the_Veil

ThE_kHan07

IF-Rockerz

ThE_kHan07

Posted: 28 June 2009 at 1:26am | IP Logged
MY VOTE GOES TO TRUE BLOOOOOD!!! =D its more sexy n more gory with a hot concept n even hotter actors hahahaha LOL

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 June 2009 at 12:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ThE_kHan07

MY VOTE GOES TO TRUE BLOOOOOD!!! =D its more sexy n more gory with a hot concept n even hotter actors hahahaha LOL

Yes! LOL

jettythegod

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 28 June 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 28 June 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by gengarjetty2

Originally posted by return_to_hades

Originally posted by ThE_kHan07

Yes! LOL

woah u used a smiley Shocked

Sometimes it shocks me to know that I have emotions. Confused

Beyond_the_Veil

Post Reply New Post

Go to top