Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 21 June 2009 at 10:32pm | IP Logged
Anyone familiar with the HBO series 'True Blood' or the book series 'Southern Vampire Mysteries'. THIS is what vampire romances should be like.

So let the battle begin, which is better True Blood or Twilight......

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "True Blood vs. Twilight" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

NaughtySon

NaughtySon

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 1:08am | IP Logged
Nops,I'm sorry I'm not familiar. I'm not a big fan of such series although I am one of Everybody Loves Raymond. I'd like to hear from you abt the series you mentioned and maybe, recommend me a few. Thanks.

jettythegod

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 8:17am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

stunninstar

IF-Rockerz

stunninstar

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged
twilight is the one i like... its kewl.. i dunno much abt the other series.. so i 'm not commentin on it

plasticpolaroid

Goldie

plasticpolaroid

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 3:07pm | IP Logged
obviously True Blood, Twilight is the watered down sissy lame vampire flick for the teenyboppers... True Blood has better storyline, better protagonists, is funnier, has better characters/actors and the books weren't written by some mormon chick

Vampire Eric Northman unF unF unF

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 22 June 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged
For those who are not familiar with the Southern Vampire Mysteries, the main protagonist is Sookie Stackhouse a telepathic southern barmaid and how she is introduced to the world of vampires and their mysteries. She and the 173 year old vampire Bill Compton share a troubled romance.

Now Twilight is not a bad series. I just find it way to overhyped. There is far better vampire fiction out there. Secondly, there are many vampires that are way better than Edward Cullen. And C'mon pale skill, airbrushed faces, auburn hair - such unimaginative descriptions. I've seen twelve year old girls make Rupert Grint sound hotter.

I'm also intrigued by some similarities between Twilight and True Blood. Both set in small town, where everyone knows each other, both odd misfit female protaganists. The mind reading, the shape shifters. Like Sookie can read minds, but Bill Compton's mind is next to impossible, Stephanie Meyer seems to have just flipped that around in Twilight.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

U-No-PooAreYaar

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 11:31pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 23 June 2009 at 11:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

^ ^

Sarina, I thought you did not read the Twilight series yet?

Well, I did not read the True Blood series, so I really can't comment on how it is. Truth be told, I did not read the Twilight series completely as well (not that I didn't try it LOL), so I might be wrong on many counts. Any Twihards around, feel free to correct me up.

Whether Twilight is a good story or not is a subjective question, so I will not comment on that as well. While I found the Twilight's story to be thoroughly boring and typical, others may feel Twilight to be an extremely interesting  and intriguing read *gulp*. But when it comes down to the subject of literary/artistic quality, Meyer's writing lacks it completely.

Now before the Twihards come and start eating my head...please listen to what I have got to say first:

I know that many of the Twihards will say that how much fascinating they found the Twilight series to be, and how, even people who had never read a single book before in their life, had gulped the entire book within a few days, and how madly they fell in love with this book and Edward...but none of these things equate the novel on having an artistic quality that would give this book a permanent value. I do not think that the literary qualities a book contains within it can be counted/measured on the basis of the enjoyment felt during reading it, mostly because that is an extremely subjective analysis. I, for one, had read many classics that had driven me to tears of boredom, but that doesn't stop me from saying that they are good books. Similarly I have read countless potboilers and thoroughly enjoyed it, but, once again, that doesn't stop me from saying that those books are nothing but pure potboilers.

A good book isn't counted on its story or plot, but rather the theme it expresses. All great literary works have a themes larger than the novel, a theme that would remain alive even when the hype of the book had died down. The theme is the real aspect of any literary work. The theme is the soul while the story is the body. Twilight does not give rise to any moral, ethical, philosophical questions, neither does it contain anything that would keep living even when the book had been closed down.

I am not saying that Twilight isn't a good read - it might be, to many. But the fact that Meyer had done nothing to rise Twilight above the typical-teenage-novel cannot be denied either.

I watched the movie and have started reading Twilight. Heard people rave about it. Not read Southern Vampire Mysteries yet, but watched the first few eps of True blood. Heard people rave about it too.

Twilight is not a bad series at all. It is absorbing. But nothing to get so much hype. Just an average teenage fiction. I do not get the hype at all. I'm actually baffled at Twihards. Must be me, I just do not see the phenomenon.

Although, I disagree a book has to give rise to moral, ethical and philosophical questions. 'Green Eggs & Ham' is by far the best book ever written, period. No question about it.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top