Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-iPayal- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by: clodpolish

hmm

well, if there are hardcore facts to prove your opinion, you can at least make an effort to prove other's opinion wrong and get them to your side. That would not be imposing no?

well, if you do have hardcore fact, then it wouldnt hurt to provide them to the opposer and prove them worn, but that doesnt mean that the other's going to give in, they still might stick to what they believe...
Mindbender thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: *payal_15*

well, if you do have hardcore fact, then it wouldnt hurt to provide them to the opposer and prove them worn, but that doesnt mean that the other's going to give in, they still might stick to what they believe...

yeah ofcourse !

but generally for those people who are addicted to Television, it would be very difficult for them to even accept the fact that tv can be so dangerous, They'd give one excuse or the other even before hearing the other side of the argument !

-iPayal- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

yeah ofcourse !

but generally for those people who are addicted to Television, it would be very difficult for them to even accept the fact that tv can be so dangerous, They'd give one excuse or the other even before hearing the other side of the argument !

yes i agree with that, no argument. Addicted ppl wouldnt even bother to listen to the other end, because theyve already made up their ming abt it.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
My favorite show on TV currently is Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. That makes me a cop or a rapist.

I honestly do not think TV is the cause for violence. I think upbringing and society is. In the documentary 'Bowling for Columbine' Michael Moore illustrated how children in some countries were playing video games that were deemed excessively violent in the United States, yet the rate of violence was very low.

My personal opinion on what I have observed violence is less related to entertainment habits and more related to arms culture and entitlement. People who have been raised with a sense of entitlement and individuality that society owes them something tend to be more likely to resort to violence.

For example Timothy McVeigh and the Columbine shooters all felt that they were entitled to certain privileges and rights that society was not providing and resorted to violent means to obtain them.

Most children who turned violent had parents who even though advocated non violent media, held onto some for of the idea of right to bear arms without a sense of moral responsibility of bearing arms.

In actuality most of the people whom I know who are into violent/crime shows and games are the nicest of people, while some of the milder show viewers tend to be vicious.
wonkyfaint thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Honestly, I don't think so. So what would be the solution then to keep kids away from violence? Ban television? Censor the shows? I think that would rebound, it would make them even more curious about it. Violence stems from a number of different issues and one of them is certainly not television.
Although, I think the quality of entertainment-based shows (as well as cartoons for kids) is decreasing day by day. Compare the movies and shows of today with something as recent as shows from 10-20 years back, one can easily how quality has gone drastically.
Mindbender thumbnail

Well, i believe that television and violence can be corelated only when the person really identifies with what (violence) is being shown on television.

As very young kids, one has a very short attention span and one doesn't really care much about content but its the speed at which pictures are moving which interest such viewers more.

As (older)teens , one tends to use his /her rationality and rarely identifies with the characters and starts doubting what is being shown in the tv more. As and when one starts putting more mental effort while watching television, mostly, the lesser and lesser one will will identify with such programmes.

However the people who come in between the above range do have a considerable attention span and at the same time don't think rationally about whats being shown (put little mental effort while watching). So i guess they might be affected to some degree at least by what violence is being shown !

Nevertheless, presently, i feel the effect of television on violence is way too overrated and those who become violent by watching television need help cos i feel its something abnormal !

Moreover though, at the same time, i am all for goody goody shows for kids !😃

Edited by clodpolish - 14 years ago
Mindbender thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

In actuality most of the people whom I know who are into violent/crime shows and games are the nicest of people, while some of the milder show viewers tend to be vicious.

is it really true or was just added for "effect" ?😆

Originally posted by: VirgoVixen

Honestly, I don't think so. So what would be the solution then to keep kids away from violence? Ban television? Censor the shows?

Well, in case it is true, the first thing to do would ofcourse be to spread awareness about it !

I think that would rebound, it would make them even more curious about it. Violence stems from a number of different issues and one of them is certainly not television.
Although, I think the quality of entertainment-based shows (as well as cartoons for kids) is decreasing day by day. Compare the movies and shows of today with something as recent as shows from 10-20 years back, one can easily how quality has gone drastically.

What exactly do you consider as good quality programmes?

(Just curious)

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

is it really true or was just added for "effect" ?😆 [/Quote]

Its a personal observation. Then again I get along better with people who watch awesme shows. The rest of them argue with me over my poor taste in television. They are vicious.

_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Not only TV but the computer too is being increasingly held responsible for childrens aggressive behaviour. Children are more affected then adults as children are said to watch TV with much more attention & also tend to identify with the characters shown.

Several scientific studies on effects of TV on children have been carried out. Surveys indicate that the school children watch television for  an average 30 hours per week and the pre school children for nearly 54 hours a week. Assuming an average of  3 hrs per day, children view about 20,000 commercials a year. By the age of 16, they will have witnessed 2 lacs violent acts including 33,000 murders !

Now let me highlight some of the alarming findings from the research studies conducted over the past 8 - 10 years.

Television and computers are psychologically addictive

Both are physically passive activity and generally disturbs creative thinking

It impacts motor co ordination, balance and general level of fitness and leads to obesity.

Late night TV watching and computer games leads to tiredness, lack of attention and irritability the next day in school.

Sleep is disturbed and nightmares can occur

Television and many computer games tend to overpower and desensitize a child's sense of sympathy for suffering.

Child's sense of wonder is dulled.

Social development is impaired.

Vision and hearing ability is badly affected.

Many child development and educational experts feel that the children's minds are not developing the way they should due to excessive watching of TV and computers. Language learning and reading skills, creativity and imagination, social interaction and interpersonal problem solving all get impaired. Violence on TV and computer games leads to intolerance, lack of patience and aggressive behaviour. Heavy TV viewers develop a distorted sense of reality.

It is now official that television numbs the brain. Researchers have found that once the TV is switched on, the left hand side of the brain tends to switch off  and the images from the TV goes straight to the right brain. That means we take in all the information but are not able to critically evaluate it. Our  reasoning and interpretation is affected.

In fact, researchers have now concluded that the Television is quite unsuitable as a learning tool for children.  The longer you sit in front of a screen slower the brainwave activity.   It numbs our brain!

Mindbender thumbnail

Originally posted by: angie.4u

Researchers have found that once the TV is switched on, the left hand side of the brain tends to switch off and the images from the TV goes straight to the right brain. That means we take in all the information but are not able to critically evaluate it. Our reasoning and interpretation is affected.

Hmm

is it true for children and adults alike?