Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

   

Television - leading cause of violence?!

Mindbender IF-Sizzlerz
Mindbender
Mindbender

Joined: 21 October 2008
Posts: 15873

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 4:34am | IP Logged

I have heard and read a lot about television really playing a major role in the violence of today's world. So do you agree to it or do you feel its kinda overrated?

Is television the leading cause of violence in today's society afterall?

Super-Computer Groupbie
Super-Computer
Super-Computer

Joined: 15 June 2009
Posts: 101

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 9:03am | IP Logged
Originally posted by clodpolish

I have heard and read a lot about television really playing a major role in the violence of today's world. So do you agree to it or do you feel its kinda overrated?

Is television the leading cause of violence in today's society afterall?




*Processing, please wait*

*
Topic:  Television and violence- link?

Report:
1.important topic
2.works on a subconscious  level (conscious as well,relatively more in the case of adolescents)
3.process:
a.programme viewed
b.violence displayed
c.violence viewed
d.process 2:
  • adults view the programme ==> subconscious  effect on their mind causes them to be naturally violent
  • children/adolescents/immature adults==> subconcious or/and conscious impact making them violent
examples:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2274722
http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_and_tv_violence

Addl.:
the above may/may not contradict my report

*

*Process completed*



Edited by Super-Computer - 17 June 2009 at 9:04am
Beyond_the_Veil IF-Sizzlerz

Joined: 12 February 2008
Posts: 11596

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
-iPayal- IF-Sizzlerz
-iPayal-
-iPayal-

Joined: 24 April 2008
Posts: 13377

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 4:50pm | IP Logged

i can make an argument form both sides...

1. movies usually show terrorism and lots of violence, which if is seen by a kid at a young age can effect  them, but on the other hand...
 
if ur so againes violence then just turn off the TV and dont watch it.
Mindbender IF-Sizzlerz
Mindbender
Mindbender

Joined: 21 October 2008
Posts: 15873

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 6:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Super-Computer


  • adults view the programme ==> subconscious effect on their mind causes them to be naturally violent
  • children/adolescents/immature adults==> subconcious or/and conscious impact making them violent

hmm true !

Originally posted by PhoeniXof_Hades

Can't really say about the soaps and shows in the other parts of the world...but as far as Indian soaps are concerned, they did help in creating more violence...but now, after the K saga had been over, I think the soaps are now way milder\ than before.
dunno much about K saga, but weren't they saas bahu types? or criminal shows?LOL

well , in india, i guess yeah, there are shows other than soaps which are creating more havoc. But in foreign countries, from what i have heard, such soaps also form an integral part of "violent shows"

Mindbender IF-Sizzlerz
Mindbender
Mindbender

Joined: 21 October 2008
Posts: 15873

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 6:45pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *payal_15*

i can make an argument form both sides...

1. movies usually show terrorism and lots of violence, which if is seen by a kid at a young age can effect them, but on the other hand...
if ur so againes violence then just turn off the TV and dont watch it.

lol, its not so easy na? !

Its like saying you have an addiction, you know its wrong, so just leave it ! but you can't leave that addiction so easily no?

-iPayal- IF-Sizzlerz
-iPayal-
-iPayal-

Joined: 24 April 2008
Posts: 13377

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 7:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by clodpolish

Originally posted by *payal_15*

i can make an argument form both sides...

1. movies usually show terrorism and lots of violence, which if is seen by a kid at a young age can effect them, but on the other hand...
if ur so againes violence then just turn off the TV and dont watch it.

lol, its not so easy na? !

Its like saying you have an addiction, you know its wrong, so just leave it ! but you can't leave that addiction so easily no?

actually ur rite, its not that easy to leave an addiction.
but im not talking abt someone who has an addiction to TV, im saying that if someone thinks that TV is promoting violence then it would be better for them to not watch it.
Mindbender IF-Sizzlerz
Mindbender
Mindbender

Joined: 21 October 2008
Posts: 15873

Posted: 17 June 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *payal_15*

actually ur rite, its not that easy to leave an addiction.
but im not talking abt someone who has an addiction to TV, im saying that if someone thinks that TV is promoting violence then it would be better for them to not watch it.

hmm

well , you mean to say that the person who feels that way shouldn't watch it, but he shouldn't go around the world shouting that other shouldn't watch it also>?

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Author Replies Views Last Post
Violence Against Women in the United States

Author: farri.muslimah   Replies: 3   Views: 594

farri.muslimah 3 594 11 March 2009 at 10:40am by raj5000
Are celebrities above crime and violence

Author: Showbizz   Replies: 6   Views: 748

Showbizz 6 748 17 December 2008 at 9:21am by raj5000
bad economy vs. violence

Author: xsweetbabygyalx   Replies: 3   Views: 552

xsweetbabygyalx 3 552 29 July 2008 at 3:12pm by jagdu
Gandhi's b'day to be world's non-violence

Author: 0mega Galaxy   Replies: 3   Views: 602

0mega Galaxy 3 602 15 June 2007 at 2:30am by kabhi_21
Rebel indeed - cause / no cause

Author: mermaid_QT   Replies: 6   Views: 586

mermaid_QT 6 586 09 March 2007 at 3:30am by IdeaQueen

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index