Jem4Himesh

IF-Veteran Member

Jem4Himesh

Posted: 29 October 2005 at 10:25am | IP Logged
Singing Siblings Love Music
By MIO Team
Oct 14, 2005, 17:23

Printer friendly page

They co-exist harmoniously, like peas in a pod. Meet sisters Preety and Pinkii Dave, who are known in film and dandia circles as Preety-Pinkii, the first singing duo, a phenomenon so far restricted to classical music, bhajans, ghazals and qawwalis.
Preety denies the use of numerology in their new spellings, and one does not persist. We move on to their latest enterprise, a Gujarati traditional song, 'Sanwariya...' that is the lead track of the T-Series dandia remix album,Dhol Masti.

Says Preety,"We wanted to give the song a definite identity and not spoil its original beauty. It was an experiment which worked beautifully because we spent 11 months working on it with Dhrubajyoti Phukanji, who programmed it. We have added modern elements in the way sugar is added to milk - keeping the nutritious value intact but adding to the taste!'

Another highlight is the different video, which is about god-bharaee (a ritual during pregnancy).Enthuses Preety. T-Series has spent the kind of money which is spent on an album on this single track."

Why do they always sing together?, "I would say that it is primarily God's will that we became a team. Pinkii is almost three years younger to me, and we were first offered a dandia album together, and this clicked in a big way in Ahmedabad. But Pinky has sung separately in films like Chalte Chalte and Aap Mujhe Acche Lagne Lage and I have also sung for ad jingles. We are now planning solo albums as well."

But Preety admits that they are a brand together, in which capacity they have sung recently in Fun - Can Be Dangerous Sometimes, Miss India and other films. "When we first went on stage, I was 8 and Pinkii was 5, aur tab se hum ek doosre ki aankhon mein dekh ke gaate the (we used to sing in tandem and look into each other's eyes while doing so). The synchronization was so complete that everyone felt they were hearing only one voice," she says.

Their film careers took off with Anu Malik's Har Dil Jo Pyaar Karega in which they sang the hit 'Piya piya o piya piya...', followed by songs for films like Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai, Badhaai Ho Badhaai and Ab Ke Baras under Anu Malik and for Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein under Harrys Jairaj. They have also sung for Anand-Milind, Anand Raaj Anand, Aadesh Shrivastava, Vishal-Shekhar, Sanjeev-Darshan and other composers. Apart from Hindi and mother-tongue Gujarati, the sisters have also ventured into Malayalam, Punjabi and Bhojpuri songs.

Pinkii, the younger one, takes over and says, "We sing so well together because our voices complement each other's tenors, with my sister's husky voice blending with my shrill, sweet one. But except for our perfect sync in music, we are as different as can be. I hate sweets, she loves them. I am a shy introvert, she is outgoing and bolder. We dress differently as I prefer Western clothes."

But she once again comes back to a commonality - their tastes in music. "We both love to listen to the same kind of music - Sufi, classical, folk and Western. We are not too much into film music, but among playback singers both of us are fans of Lataji, Ashaji, Hariharanji and Sonu Nigamji. Besides, we learn and discover new aspects about singing by listening to this variety of musical genres.'

The sisters have inherited their musical talent from both their father and grandfather and have also trained in classical music from the Gandharva Mahavidhyalaya. They are content with their lot and do not feel that they are singing rarely for films, and are sensations only as live performers."We have our own place in music, and most importantly we do not mimic any existing singers," Pinkii signs off.

Copyright 2005 by MusicIndiaOnLine.com

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Singing Siblings Love Music" in Music Corner forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Angeleyes 2

IF-Sizzlerz

Angeleyes 2

Posted: 31 October 2005 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
Thanks

hazelgirl

IF-Rockerz

hazelgirl

Posted: 02 November 2005 at 8:32pm | IP Logged
thanx Tongue

Post Reply New Post

Go to top