Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

angad4life

IF-Dazzler

angad4life

Posted: 14 June 2009 at 8:48pm | IP Logged
so pavitra rishta started in the US today, and after watching the first episode, some questions that would make for a good discussion popped up in my mind.
people on this forum generally agree that it was wrong of the 'larkewala' to reject archana based on educational qualification, and i think the serial makes that pretty clear in the way the whole situation was presented.
however, archana's mother wants archana to marry a guy from a good family who is well educated, and yet she does not believe ther daughter's low educational qualification should hinder her chances of marrying a well educated and well off man? something about that seems kind of hypocritical, especially seeing how the family comes to hate manav after finding out the truth about his occupation. manav had to lie to the family to marry archana because they wanted her groom to meet the qualifications that they don't believe archana needs to have, because being a housewife is plenty.
if archana's mom wants her to marry a well-educated guy, then why is wrong for a guy to want to marry a well-educated girl and reject someone because they aren't well educated? i understand that in the serial, the guy's family was very narrow minded and simply wanted a bahu who could earn money for the family, but im speaking on more general terms. in today's day and age, women are becoming increasingly independent and achieving things equally as,if not more, great as men. such women usually want partners who are of the same stature as them--which mostly comprises of educational qualifications and standard of career. and thus, the image of a woman has "progressed" to include a sense of financial independence, which have been both appreciated and condemned.
many men want wives who will play the role of a housewife, and a housewife only. but an increasing number of men want wives who they consider to be an equal in every sense--and domestication had become a mark of inferiority.
and so, my questions to you guys are--is archana's mom being hyporcitical in her actions concerning archana's marriage? was it wrong for the guy's family to reject archana based on educational qualification? does financial dependence on the part of a housewife make her inferior than a self-sufficient and educated woman who can support herself financially?

p.s.-- i was just playing devil's advocate here and trying to bring a slightly different prospective to things.. im really not as narrow minded as i may appear, lol.

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

Katishnaashwithafungrldevashree_hPayal25blackdaughterPourQuoithetaMillerrr88-iPayal-Roshni.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "hypocrisy..?" in Pavitra Rishta forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

priyankumupal

IF-Rockerz

priyankumupal

Posted: 14 June 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged
I couldnt agree more, I was thinking the same thing, When my brother got married my mom was also looking for an educated girl who can be independent. that does not make her a bad mom right?

I think Archana's mother is blinded by her love for her daughter to see that she is not a very eligible in today's socitey where females look after family, house and work with equal capability.

I can understand when Archu's mom said that my daughter is a kind hearted, loving and caring and trusting and would be a perfect wife because this is the most importent thing in a relationship to last, but she's trying to say that education is not importent, which is not true. What she should do is, say education is very importent, we understand that, but our daughter is a model girl, and if you look from that point of view you'll never find a better bride for your son

blackdaughter

IF-Dazzler

blackdaughter

Posted: 15 June 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged
I agree with you hun! I'm Maddy by the way! You are completely right! Archu's mum wants what's best for her, but she doesn't realize that may be her expectations might just be too high! She wants a well educated guy for her, but she doesn't realize that she is being hypocrtical!

jaan 234

IF-Dazzler

jaan 234

Posted: 15 June 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged
i agree

angad4life

IF-Dazzler

angad4life

Posted: 15 June 2009 at 3:41pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by blackdaughter

I agree with you hun! I'm Maddy by the way! You are completely right! Archu's mum wants what's best for her, but she doesn't realize that may be her expectations might just be too high! She wants a well educated guy for her, but she doesn't realize that she is being hypocrtical!

hey maddy! im asha Tongue
and ya.. it seemed really odd to me that she was talking about how a degree isn't everything, and yet wants a son-in-law who holds prominent degrees. when she was talking about archu's propsal to her friends, one of the first things she mentioned was that the guy is well-educated and has multiple degrees. so obviously, a degree does matter to her, so why shouldn't it matter to the guy's side?

julle1234567890

IF-Sizzlerz

julle1234567890

Posted: 15 June 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged
i think its not more of getting a degree but more baout proving to otehrs, including her daughter and daughter in law that archana is an amazing person, even without the degree she is great!
but i deff see your point! and i agree with some of it!

sushchh

sushchh

Posted: 15 June 2009 at 5:03pm | IP Logged
archu's mother in this serial is good hearted but totally off in her expectations. She should think that if my daughter has good qualities that are not related to education, a boy can also have good qualities that are not related to education.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Katishnadevashree_hblackdaughter

westindiangeets

Groupbie

westindiangeets

Posted: 15 June 2009 at 6:48pm | IP Logged
One of my best friends took several years finding a husband because she did not get an honours degree...I was angry that no one could have seen that she was a wonderful, caring person who would make some lucky guy a good wife...so I understand what Archu's mom is saying in that regard, but I would want someone who wanted her for herself not her earning power. Luckily for her she found a great husband, who does't hold her education, or lack thereof, against her. That being said, I totally agree... Archu's mom is being hypocritical.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

blackdaughter

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.