Balika Vadhu

How dumb of Maasa to visit pratap's family (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 3

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 3

lakshmim_84

IF-Rockerz

lakshmim_84

Posted: 27 May 2009 at 9:57pm | IP Logged
actually, no where in the show they have said that it is wrong for suguna to abort the baby.......actually, dadisa wants suguna to abort her kid......and it is only suguna who is against it..... she doesn't want to abort cos it is pratap's aakhri nishani.

And i am sure, if suguna had gone to her husband's house (i mean if gauna happened) and then she is pregnant, no one wld have suggeted of getting it aborted....dadisa wld have been happy that she is going to give a grandchild. It is only bcos, if she continues with her pregnancy, they might get a bad name int he society that dadisa is forcing suguna to abort the baby.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "How dumb of Maasa to visit pratap's family (Page 3)" in Balika Vadhu forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

RockChicGirl

IF-Stunnerz

RockChicGirl

Posted: 27 May 2009 at 10:48pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by jjairam

Originally posted by london741

or creaters think taht gehna should abort the baby as it was required for that track...and sugna should not abort the child is its required for current track they are showing...Dead

i cannot understand this logic.... they are confused....Angry

Brilliantly put....you have put in a nutshell what I have been feeling for the past few months....that Balika Vadhu does not live up to its "social messages" and consistency in message is sacrificed for TRP ratings.

Abortion is OK for Gehna because she is too young and frail....but it is wrong for Suguna because it is Pratap ki nishaani! And what about poor Basant who has been trying for a nishani of himself!LOL

Suguna loves Prataap too much to give up the child - hang what happens to her poor long suffering parents- but gets breathless when Shyam gets too close what about Prataap ki yadeein then? LOL

And what if Suguna is shown as getting married to Shyam? What happens to educating young women? That is only for poor Phooli who is also poor and more needy of support than Suguna....to Phooli's father, all of Bhairon Singh's lectures will feel like..."do as I say, not as I do."

Oh and on a completely unrelated topic....whatever happened to everybody's periods? It was a big issue just for one episode...looks like none of the women had that problem before or after that episode!!!

Bhairon Singh has become the writer Purnendu's alter ego.

I am continuting to watch the episode hoping for things to get better...am afraid I will stop if it descends into a soap opera.

i agree...the show's social messages changes according to situation. in gehna's case it was ok to abort the child...so shouldnt it be ok to abort suguna's child too since she is even younger than gehna? in fact her father didnt want her gauna to be done for the same reason-so that she doesnt suffer the same fate as basant first wife. but now in suguna's case to increase the drama they have to stress on widow remarriage. but it wasnt ok for phooli to remarry so that she cant complete her studies.

shalgo

shalgo

Posted: 28 May 2009 at 4:29am | IP Logged
I think all of us are mixing the situation here.....the only reason dadisa is pressing on abortion is because it will bring bad name to their home......

from sugna's perspective it is her love child, while for gehna it was a child from loveless marriage...moreover gehna and sugna are very different in character. Sugna has always been very emotional....while Gehna has behaved more practically.

And again we cannot compare sugna with phooli...if sugna was not pregnant her parents were not even thinking of re-marriage...here the sitaution is such that they are caught between bad to worse.....

jjairam

jjairam

Posted: 28 May 2009 at 6:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by shalgo

I think all of us are mixing the situation here.....the only reason dadisa is pressing on abortion is because it will bring bad name to their home......

from sugna's perspective it is her love child, while for gehna it was a child from loveless marriage...moreover gehna and sugna are very different in character. Sugna has always been very emotional....while Gehna has behaved more practically.

And again we cannot compare sugna with phooli...if sugna was not pregnant her parents were not even thinking of re-marriage...here the sitaution is such that they are caught between bad to worse.....

These are all very fair points. From the perspective of the characters and their personalities, their responses have also been very different to the situations faced by them.
My comments were directed at the creative/writer of the serial and their double values in trying to balance TRPs with making BV a social commentary.

Ashiyana

Goldie

Ashiyana

Posted: 28 May 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged
Ghena and Sugna's are two seperate situations!

Ghena wanted to abort the child because she was too frail to carry the child, and it could have become life threatening for her and the child.  If that was not the case she would have gone with the pregnancy without any rebellion.  

Sugna on the other hand, despite being younger then Ghena, had sexual relationship before her gauna.  In the eye of the society her pregency is tabooed upon.  If she had her gauna and became pregenant they family would never advise her to get an abortion.  They want her to get an abortion to save the family reputation which Maasa loves more then anything. 

Also Sugna and Phooli's situation is also different. 
If Sugna was not pregnant the family would never talk about her getting re-married and stopping her school.  Sugna's family wants her to be capable and educated.  Sugna's re-marriage is only so she has a fathers name to be given to the child.  In the eye of the society despite being married to pratap no one is going to believe that the child is Prataps'. 

As for Phooli's parents they feel only way Phooli has a secure future is by her getting re-married to any tom-dick-harry.  And that is why they tried to marry her off to an older man.  

Edited by Ashiyana - 28 May 2009 at 7:48am

doyelpakhi

Goldie

doyelpakhi

Posted: 28 May 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged
Shalgo and Ashiyana has fair points.But I completely agree with Jijaram! Thumbs Up

"From the perspective of the characters and their personalities, their responses have also been very different to the situations faced by them.
My comments were directed at the creative/writer of the serial and their double values in trying to balance TRPs with making BV a social commentary.
"

Actually, BV people are more busy in creating melodrama to raise TRPs than to give social message. Ouch I have even made one post regarding it.. hehe..Tongue

I have always liked BV because even in the midst of the ultra-conservative background, there are characters who have brought shown progressive attitude and had get out of the restraints of rules and regulations as much as possible.

But Sugna's incidents?!! What message do the BV people want to spread, can anyone tell me? If unprotected sex and teen-age pregnancy is an issue, then it can be addressed through Anandi and JAgdish, ( after a two years leap may be)

Or if they have something else in mind for Anandi - Jagdish, then these issues can be shown through Sugna-Shyam romance. If Sugna gradually, falls for Shyam then in one way they could send the message that an widow has the right to start life afresh. Infact a girl should take a positive attitude towards life instead of dwelling in the mishaps of past.

The issue could have been dealt in a different manner and both messages of widow-remarriage and teen-age pregnancy can be shown in a more realistic and better way.

Sugna  is  still a  teen-age girl . It has been told number of times that teen-age is not the right time to bear child.  As everyone pointed out. if Gehna' s doctor could tell her to abort for her weak health, then it is necessary for Sugna to abort the child as her body is not capable for this condition.

Otherwise, Sugna's fate will be like Taisa and Rani jiji who lost their child and their capability of giving birth for teen-age pregnancy! Of course, abortion has ill-effects, but if the doctor can suggest abortion for Gehna for her health, why not Sugna?

2ndly, as some other member has rightly pointed out in other post that Sugna does not even know the responsibility of bringing up a child ?! She is only getting emotional and stubborn. If parents cant fulfill the duties towards a child, there is no right to bring a human being into this world just to make him/her suffer?

3rdly, gettting married to cover up pregnancy is an age-old practice. But WHY getting married at all  if eveyone is going to know the truth even before marriage?!!! Sleepy

As per Badimasi, they will tell the bridegroom and the family about Sugna's condition. Now, we KNOW that when Shyam will be aware about Sugna's condition he will marry her without uttering any word about it. BUT....

Badimasi or Sugna or none else are supposed to zero in Shyam at first.  Logically, they will ask families of their friends or anyone close to them. Now, if they are telling the whole incident before marriage, then what's the REASON in making Sugna married? Maasa had a valid point! Evil Smile Wink

RockChicGirl

IF-Stunnerz

RockChicGirl

Posted: 28 May 2009 at 9:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by doyelpakhi

Shalgo and Ashiyana has fair points.But I completely agree with Jijaram! Thumbs Up

"From the perspective of the characters and their personalities, their responses have also been very different to the situations faced by them.
"

Actually, BV people are more busy in creating melodrama to raise TRPs than to give social message. Ouch I have even made one post regarding it.. hehe..Tongue

I have always liked BV because even in the midst of the ultra-conservative background, there are characters who have brought shown progressive attitude and had get out of the restraints of rules and regulations as much as possible.

But Sugna's incidents?!! What message do the BV people want to spread, can anyone tell me? If unprotected sex and teen-age pregnancy is an issue, then it can be addressed through Anandi and JAgdish, ( after a two years leap may be)

Or if they have something else in mind for Anandi - Jagdish, then these issues can be shown through Sugna-Shyam romance. If Sugna gradually, falls for Shyam then in one way they could send the message that an widow has the right to start life afresh. Infact a girl should take a positive attitude towards life instead of dwelling in the mishaps of past.

The issue could have been dealt in a different manner and both messages of widow-remarriage and teen-age pregnancy can be shown in a more realistic and better way.

Sugna  is  still a  teen-age girl . It has been told number of times that teen-age is not the right time to bear child.  As everyone pointed out. if Gehna' s doctor could tell her to abort for her weak health, then it is necessary for Sugna to abort the child as her body is not capable for this condition.

Otherwise, Sugna's fate will be like Taisa and Rani jiji who lost their child and their capability of giving birth for teen-age pregnancy! Of course, abortion has ill-effects, but if the doctor can suggest abortion for Gehna for her health, why not Sugna?

2ndly, as some other member has rightly pointed out in other post that Sugna does not even know the responsibility of bringing up a child ?! She is only getting emotional and stubborn. If parents cant fulfill the duties towards a child, there is no right to bring a human being into this world just to make him/her suffer?

3rdly, gettting married to cover up pregnancy is an age-old practice. But WHY getting married at all  if eveyone is going to know the truth even before marriage?!!! Sleepy

As per Badimasi, they will tell the bridegroom and the family about Sugna's condition. Now, we KNOW that when Shyam will be aware about Sugna's condition he will marry her without uttering any word about it. BUT....

Badimasi or Sugna or none else are supposed to zero in Shyam at first.  Logically, they will ask families of their friends or anyone close to them. Now, if they are telling the whole incident before marriage, then what's the REASON in making Sugna married? Maasa had a valid point! Evil Smile Wink

completely agree with doyelpakhi...the attitudes are right from the character's pov but to me it appears that the writers are bringing in this track to create a melodramatic situation and avoid the inevitable ie the leap and a grown up anandi-jagya. all the the messages at the end of the show and just to show off that 'see we have great intentions so dont feel guilty abt watching such a regressive show'. but in the end of it all regressiveness is reinforced. hence at the end of every situation-anandi adjusting to her in-laws house, gehna's rebellion, suguna's widowhood its maasa's beliefs which are re-inforced with her getting another chance to say 'told u so'. anandi has turned out to be a dutiful daughter-in-law so its maasa's credit(not anandi's mom's), if gehna and basant are able to lead a happy marital life its maasa's credit cuz she stuck her guns, if suguna is pregnant today then its bhairon's fault for delaying her gauna instead of listening to his mother. the only time maasa is shown to regret her actions are in her treatment of phooli.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top