Fashion and Beauty

   

DOTW: How a person's style affects others (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

trina_saras

IF-Stunnerz

trina_saras

Joined: 02 November 2006

Posts: 31934

Posted: 26 May 2009 at 6:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nulz

-Do you feel like you pay more attention to someone who is well dressed? 

 

It would depend .. I guess being well dressed for the occasion is more important to me .. I wouldn't care if some1 wasn't well dressed for going out shopping or for a jog/walk etc .. yes if some1 wasn't dressed well for work or for a function than that would bother me. In terms of getting attention .. some1 who isn't dressed for the occasion (not well dressed or over dressed) would sort of be the center of attention. We can't really judge ppl by the way they dress, I feel I would pay attention to an individual regardless of whether they are well dressed or not. Having said that, I would like to add that I would not tolerate ppl who have vulgar dressing.

 Wow, some pretty liberal answers here.  Some people going for shopping or for a jog may make that into an occasion haha.  But yeah, one can say its good to be practical and dress for the weather and for comfort not necessarily style.  It's true we can't judge based on fashion, but I feel that men judge women by that and vica versa.  I think that students judge each other this way when they reach a certain age.  It's unfair but it happens.   As to your comment on vulgar dressing, what is vulgar?  Do you mean by Indian or Western standards?   Would a pair of shorts and tee shirt be vulgar to you? 

-Do you respect them more? 

No .. whether well dressed or not, wouldn't affect my level of respect for that person.

 Well said.  ClapClap

-Do you feel like they are more intelligent than someone who isn't well dressed or just perhaps more style-conscious?

 

Probably more style and people/environment conscious .. intelligent nah .. cant tell by the dressing sense, havta talk to that person to discover that.

 

-Do they influence you in some way?

Sure, if that person is fashion conscious, I might be influenced by the style/accessories if I like what I see.

That's a good answer.   Of course, whatever the person is wearing may or may not suit me so it's hard to say.   I have had people try to copy my style but it's annoying sometimes. 

-Does this apply to you in terms of both women and men or just one of them?

 

All people in general

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DOTW: How a person's style affects others (Page 2)" in Fashion and Beauty forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

nulz

Senior Member

nulz

Joined: 04 February 2005

Posts: 611

Posted: 26 May 2009 at 6:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by trina1

Originally posted by nulz

-Do you feel like you pay more attention to someone who is well dressed? 

 It would depend .. I guess being well dressed for the occasion is more important to me .. I wouldn't care if some1 wasn't well dressed for going out shopping or for a jog/walk etc .. yes if some1 wasn't dressed well for work or for a function than that would bother me. In terms of getting attention .. some1 who isn't dressed for the occasion (not well dressed or over dressed) would sort of be the center of attention. We can't really judge ppl by the way they dress, I feel I would pay attention to an individual regardless of whether they are well dressed or not. Having said that, I would like to add that I would not tolerate ppl who have vulgar dressing.

 Wow, some pretty liberal answers here.  Some people going for shopping or for a jog may make that into an occasion haha.  But yeah, one can say its good to be practical and dress for the weather and for comfort not necessarily style.  It's true we can't judge based on fashion, but I feel that men judge women by that and vica versa.  I think that students judge each other this way when they reach a certain age.  It's unfair but it happens.   As to your comment on vulgar dressing, what is vulgar?  Do you mean by Indian or Western standards?   Would a pair of shorts and tee shirt be vulgar to you? 

 
Hi Trina .. yep i agree to the fact that ppl do sometimes judge each other based on fashion .. i wouldnt really care whether some1 was fashionable or not .. as long as ppl dress right for the 'occasion' ..
 
to ur question on what is vulgar? speaking of both western & indian standards .. i would consider some1 wearing mini's or clubbing clothes to a mandir/church to be vulgar dressing .. it all comes down to wearing right clothes to suit the occasion. 
 
Every1 has a style of their own and i respect that .. as long are u are comfortable in what u r wearing, it suits the ocasion & it doesnt look vulgar, its all good

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Joined: 21 March 2008

Posts: 2545

Posted: 26 May 2009 at 7:46pm | IP Logged
Great Topic!Star
 
-Do you feel like you pay more attention to someone who is well dressed?
Well, maybe but it's actually not just well dressed, the person has to be classy, like I don't care if they are wearing branded clothes or not, they should have individuality. To me, well dressed = being individual and original.
-Do you respect them more?
No, I am being completely honest here, I don't care AT ALL if they are dressed shabbily, if they are nice and talk warmly with me I am ready to ignore everything.EmbarrassedLOL
-Do you feel like they are more intelligent than someone who isn't well dressed or just perhaps more style-conscious?
Not at all, well I guess you could say aesthetically intelligent.LOL
-Do they influence you in some way?
The answer would be yes and no. I like to have my own style and not really be influenced but I would definitely borrow elements from the person's style if it engages me enough.
 
-Does this apply to you in terms of both women and men or just one of them?
More I would say in terms of women. I generally care less about the guys (I rate the guys by their hotness, not clothesLOL
 
 I also take them more seriously when their eyebrows are shaped well.  I know it sounds lame but...hehehe funnyLOL
 
 
One last question to add.    Do you feel that assessing a person based on their style is shallow, or just a human trait?   Don't we all do it subconsciously?
 No, it is NOT shallow because we all probably do it subconsciously anyway. The shallow part is when people question you things like "Is it branded?" and boast about the expensive things they got. I think shallow people are the ones who don't understand that being stylish has nothing to do with money i.e. how many Birkins or Chanels etc. you have.ConfusedLOL

trina_saras

IF-Stunnerz

trina_saras

Joined: 02 November 2006

Posts: 31934

Posted: 26 May 2009 at 8:02pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by VirgoVixen

Great Topic!Star
 
-Do you feel like you pay more attention to someone who is well dressed?
Well, maybe but it's actually not just well dressed, the person has to be classy, like I don't care if they are wearing branded clothes or not, they should have individuality. To me, well dressed = being individual and original.
-Do you respect them more?
No, I am being completely honest here, I don't care AT ALL if they are dressed shabbily, if they are nice and talk warmly with me I am ready to ignore everything.EmbarrassedLOL
-Do you feel like they are more intelligent than someone who isn't well dressed or just perhaps more style-conscious?
Not at all, well I guess you could say aesthetically intelligent.LOL
-Do they influence you in some way?
The answer would be yes and no. I like to have my own style and not really be influenced but I would definitely borrow elements from the person's style if it engages me enough.
 
-Does this apply to you in terms of both women and men or just one of them?
More I would say in terms of women. I generally care less about the guys (I rate the guys by their hotness, not clothesLOL
 
 I also take them more seriously when their eyebrows are shaped well.  I know it sounds lame but...hehehe funnyLOL
 
 
One last question to add.    Do you feel that assessing a person based on their style is shallow, or just a human trait?   Don't we all do it subconsciously?
 No, it is NOT shallow because we all probably do it subconsciously anyway. The shallow part is when people question you things like "Is it branded?" and boast about the expensive things they got. I think shallow people are the ones who don't understand that being stylish has nothing to do with money i.e. how many Birkins or Chanels etc. you have.ConfusedLOL

 
 
Thanks VV!   And great answers!
 
 
I think to some extent we are raised by society or by parents to care about how we look, and for some it may be more extreme than others.  And it is a valid point, like say going to an interview or someone's birthday one doesn't want to look sloppy or too laidback.   But it all depends on the occasion. 
 
 
Yes, I dont always like when they are thinking is it branded.  But I hate to clash.  I like matching things best.  I just have a weakness for fashion!! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ElusiveDevotion

ElusiveDevotion

IF-Dazzler

ElusiveDevotion

Joined: 21 March 2008

Posts: 2545

Posted: 26 May 2009 at 8:54pm | IP Logged
^^^ I know same here, I have an obsession with matching too, like every new thing I buy, I start thinking if it goes with the other stuff in my wardrobe or not!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

trina_saras

trina_saras

IF-Stunnerz

trina_saras

Joined: 02 November 2006

Posts: 31934

Posted: 26 May 2009 at 9:00pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by VirgoVixen

^^^ I know same here, I have an obsession with matching too, like every new thing I buy, I start thinking if it goes with the other stuff in my wardrobe or not!
 
 
We think alike VV!  Big smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ElusiveDevotion

nulz

Senior Member

nulz

Joined: 04 February 2005

Posts: 611

Posted: 26 May 2009 at 9:31pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by trina1

 
One last question to add.    Do you feel that assessing a person based on their style is shallow, or just a human trait?   Don't we all do it subconsciously? 
 
 

I personally think assessing a person base on their style is not right coz there is more to that person than what we see from outside ... at the same time I would have to agree that it is a human trait and we all do that either consciously or subconsciously

trina_saras

IF-Stunnerz

trina_saras

Joined: 02 November 2006

Posts: 31934

Posted: 26 May 2009 at 9:34pm | IP Logged
I think it depends on the person.  Because don't we kind of do it @ weddings or discos or parties?  Isnt a natural thing to do?  Like after a certain age we all do it. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Jess.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top

Related Topics

  Topics Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
DOTW: Fashion Is... -LilyGurl- 4 713 08 November 2009 at 1:26am
By -simi-
l*l FnB DOTW: Products You Regret Buying or Using l*l

2 3

sunshine36 18 1434 11 October 2009 at 4:35am
By aish_punk
l*l FnB DOTW: Size Zero l*l

2 3

Jess. 19 4073 23 September 2009 at 2:41pm
By -Mystery-
The group of rich persons is much larger than yo lovelouisvuitto 0 234 03 May 2009 at 9:45pm
By lovelouisvuitto
eyeliner affects your eyesight?

2

karankittu 10 2374 15 April 2009 at 2:39pm
By VirgoChick

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Fashion and Beauty Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

 

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.