Dance India Dance L'il Masters (DID L'il Masters)
Dance India Dance L'il Masters (DID L'il Masters)

India-Forums

A note about the 3 judges...

pigbelly4myfeet IF-Rockerz
pigbelly4myfeet
pigbelly4myfeet

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
Hi guys,

So here's a little 'analysis' or random bakwas whatever you wanna call it about the 3 judges based on all of DID so far. Feel free to agree or disagree and add to it.  Smile

Terrence:  I truly think he is the best choreographer, mentor and judge of the three. Before you all jump at me....this is just my personal preference, everyone has their own of course. So feel free to disagree. Anyways, I think he is one judge that has truly brought out versatality in all of his dancers. None of his dancers have been labelled as only good at one thing and he has always tried to challenge them and make them learn new things. I believe all of his dancers have tried many different forms of dancing. As well, he really notices the weaknesses of his dancers and tries his best to turn them into their strengths. One example for this would be Jai. As we all know, Jai's biggest weakness earlier on was his expressions. After saturday's performance I don't think anyone can call that his weakness anymore. In fact in both, his shiva dance as well as the krishnan iyyer one I feel that his expressions were his biggest asset. He rocked those performances with his expressions...and dance too ofcourse. Also with Alisha, Terrene has tried to make her do different forms of dance like classical and bollywood instead of just her forte.
As well, I think Terrence is a great mentor and you can see the impact he has on his dancers through little actions. For example I love the way Jai hugs Terrence! It really shows their bond. And how Mayuresh felt that he let down Terrence through his elimination (as he said in his limelight video). Really touching...o and last example....how after Vrushali's jeena isi ka naam hai performance, she shared her grandfather's story and the look that Terrence and Vrushali shared was truly special and understanding.
Plus I believe he is the fairest of the judges...he tries to bring out the strengths by saying positives (even with Sunita)....as well as suggest ways to improve the weaknesses.
Last thing he is SO creative with his acts/ dances! I love watching his acts he always brings something new and fresh to them.  Thumbs Up

Remo: I think he's really talented as a dancer and choreographer. He obviously knows his art really well especially lockin and poppin and other western styles of dance. He is quick to point out mistakes and technical flaws espically if it's an area of dance he is a master at. His dances are also really creative. Plus he seems like a really chill guy who wouldn't let failure/ dissapointment affect his work which he could share with his dancers as well.
One thing I do not like about him though, in terms of his teaching style, is that he does not bring out versatality in his dancers. His dancers are seen or 'labelled' as great in a certain type of dance. For example Prince with lockin and poppin and Salman with stunts and lifts. I wish he would've explored his dancers' talents more in this show, given them a variety of stuff to learn and grow with.
While he does pick dancers' technical mistakes fast, I don't think he picks on their weaknesses as fast. The perfect example is with Salman. I think Andy opened a topic about Salman's expressions which really got me thinking about this. Salman really hasn't gotten any fun/ filmy dances to do in DID. So that def. remains his weakness that he is not as great as masti type dances. Remo should've seen that as a mentor I feel and strengthened that....just like Terrence managed to improve Jai's expressions. Salman is an excellent dancer and could've grown alot more than he did with DID, if Remo had really sought out his weaknesses and improved them.
Remo really likes to play it safe I feel. If he had experimented and challenged his dancers with new forms of dance more, I feel they would've grown more and become better dancers in the end.
Especially with Prince and Salman, I feel like these two are awesome, and have excelled in one type of dance form. Prince of course with locking and popping...and Salman with a little more with stunts, lifts as well as emotional/romantic dances. So while they rock at these dance forms, they are really below par with the other dances! So in the end it's not a balance of what you can call a well trained dancer but a just a dancer in one area.
I do think Remo is to blame for that, since all of the dancers in DID came with one forte. It is up to the mentors to teach and make them versatile in other forms of dance as well.
Anways, other than that Remo is really excellent at his style of dance, and really talented as well. Smile

Geeta: I think she has the potential...she knows her stuff pretty well...but she really does not match up to the other 2 judges in terms of dance and creativity. I did not like most of her choreography in all of DID and when I think back to my favourite performances I can only think of Terrence or Remo's dances...Geeta's dances just don't come to my mind. Especially recently....I feel like her dances are more "acts" than dance. Don't know if that made sense at all...Confused.
As well, she needs to push her dancers harder! This was especially the case with Sunita. In order to be a good mentor she needs to be a little more strict...and less nautanki...Embarrassed. I feel like she always defends her dancers by saying "O I know how hard you've worked beta" ConfusedConfused. All of the contestants do work hard but it does not mean you give excuses for them. A mentor should point out the weaknesses and strengths and make the dancers work on them to improve.
Coming back to Sunita, Geeta really did not push her enough at all! Especially for such a tough competition such as this one. Sunita was lazing around and not showing much improvement and I do think Geeta is partly to blame for that.
I feel really bad for Siddesh sometimes as he is an amazing dancer, but he is not being challenged and has little scope for improvement under Geeta. I feel like Geeta has already shared everything with Siddesh and has nothing more to offer.

Anyways, let's hope Siddesh gets some good choreography and new dances for the upcoming episodes.

Ok sorry for the really long post!! Holy yaar....this is really long!! EmbarrassedEmbarrassed I just felt like typing all this up about the 3 judges.

No offence intended to anyone. Please feel free to share your views and disagree with anything I have to say.

Thanks!

Love,
Pallavi =)

Edited by cute2stay - 24 May 2009 at 1:47pm

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 2:30pm | IP Logged
ClapClapClapMain kya bolo? :P "O beta I can see you've worked so hard on this post!LOL"

You could totally become a writer! hehe Analysis is done really well, Terence has def. been the most unbiased. For me, from being a mr. i-don't-know-who-you-are-and-where-you-came-from, he became someone I really respect and look up to! People can laugh all they like about the way he nitpicks certain points, but he's the only judge to give contructive criticism. e.g. his advice to sunita that if she wants to lift herself with ease, then she should work out on the bottom half :) but remo would just be like, sorry you did the same last week-not really how to improve the performance in any way! Terence actually does listen carefully to what the other 2 say and incorporate their criticism in to his next dances. Probably one of the best recent choreographers in India!

Remo is pretty high on creativity (atleast I thought so till I saw those youtube vids :@), and his passion for dance is portrayed through his students and his defensiveness lol. I just really wish that he could be the great choreographer that he is, with a great personality too, it would honestly make me like him much more. The thing is, your guru's personality is actually reflected in the student's personality and i've felt that a LOT with prince especially! The manner in which remo talks has a strong similarity to the way prince presents himself, I actually now know what mini remo must've been like! The slight arrogance/pride and ego shines in both of them.

Geeta is growing on me kinda, If she wouldn't hype her students so much, I think I could've liked her a lot more. She really knows her stuff when it comes to classical but this show is all about versatility at the end of the day and it's a shame siddesh suffered due to lack of good choreo but nonetheless he's a great dancer! Also, if nothing else atleast he now looks at her like his maa. Very strong word and they must have a great r/ship and just like remo-prince, it's shown in these 2. :)

Overall, Terence is undoubtedly the best guru&mentor&choreographer&dancer :)
Mister.K. IF-Dazzler

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
pigbelly4myfeet
pigbelly4myfeet

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:08pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

ClapClapClapMain kya bolo? :P "O beta I can see you've worked so hard on this post!LOL"
ROFL Abey teri toh! Sudhar jaa beta! Mera majaak udaying? Shocked LOLLOL
LOL yaar....just couldn't resist typing all of it out...not really worked hard or anything....avin...lol.

You could totally become a writer! LOL it's good for this world if I don't become a writer yaar trust me...sabki bhalayi isi mein hai. TongueLOLhehe Analysis is done really well, Terence has def. been the most unbiased. For me, from being a mr. i-don't-know-who-you-are-and-where-you-came-from, he became someone I really respect and look up to! People can laugh all they like about the way he nitpicks certain points, but he's the only judge to give contructive criticism. e.g. his advice to sunita that if she wants to lift herself with ease, then she should work out on the bottom half :) but remo would just be like, sorry you did the same last week-not really how to improve the performance in any way! Terence actually does listen carefully to what the other 2 say and incorporate their criticism in to his next dances. Probably one of the best recent choreographers in India!

I so agree with you! I really respect Terrence too. Embarrassed Ya I loved the way he corrected Sunita without embarrassing her or anything. O and ya good point he def. does work hard to correct his weaknesses and improve his dancers as well as his own choreography.

Remo is pretty high on creativity (atleast I thought so till I saw those youtube vids :@), and his passion for dance is portrayed through his students and his defensiveness lol. I just really wish that he could be the great choreographer that he is, with a great personality too, it would honestly make me like him much more. The thing is, your guru's personality is actually reflected in the student's personality and i've felt that a LOT with prince especially! The manner in which remo talks has a strong similarity to the way prince presents himself, I actually now know what mini remo must've been like! The slight arrogance/pride and ego shines in both of them.

SO TRUE! My thoughts exactly about guru's personality affecting their students. Prince is def. a junior Remo....and the thing is...he's at that age too where he can change his personality based on who he looks up to na? Whereas Salman is older so he can still avoid it. That's what I like about Terrence, it seems like he aims to not only develop his students in terms of dance but also make them grow as a good human being as well. But ya I just wish for Prince and Salman (and others)...he would've allowed them to try different types of dance...he plays it safe I feel for his own benefit maybe? Embarrassed

Geeta is growing on me kinda, If she wouldn't hype her students so much, I think I could've liked her a lot more. She really knows her stuff when it comes to classical but this show is all about versatility at the end of the day and it's a shame siddesh suffered due to lack of good choreo but nonetheless he's a great dancer! Also, if nothing else atleast he now looks at her like his maa. Very strong word and they must have a great r/ship and just like remo-prince, it's shown in these 2. :)

I'm actually the opposite....I liked Geeta alot earlier on and I was like yay girl power and all...lol but now I really don't see anything special in her at all. She's just ordinary with her dancing style and as a mentor. Anyways but ya it's cute that Siddesh calls her maa although I always get this feeling that he'd much rather be on Remo's team....as we saw in yesterday's episode as well na?

Yep *high five* agree with you on that one!

Aww thanks so much for your comment yaar! I thought mera topic kitna boring hai ki koi reply nahin karna chahta....lol tune meri laaj rakhlii!! LOLLOL bahaut bahaut dhanyawaad apka jee. EmbarrassedLOLLOL
pigbelly4myfeet
pigbelly4myfeet

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Mister.K.

cute2stay: I would have mostly agreed with you had this been week 4 or week 5. But we have come really far and a lot of things have changed recently.

Hey Mister K. you can call me Pallavi. =)
Thanks so much for your thoughts...I agree things have changed somewhat but not a whole lot.

Terrence isn't that impartial and that innovative anymore. Plus, I get a feeling that we been there and done that. Nothing new jumps out at me. May be they should have cut short the number of weeks this program is aired. It's the same stuff that I see albeit with different getups / costumes.

Fair enough you feel that way....I don't quite agree though. Especially about Terrence being innovative. I think he's definately (at least in my opinion) the most innovative choreographer on the show. Remo sometimes does beat that like his butterfly act this week was amazing! But on the whole, if I look at all the DID dances, I do feel that he is the most innovative. About impartial, I think Terrence has realized that it's about time he started standing up for his contestants...he has realized the politics involved in the show and hence feels that voting will get affected if he does not stand up for his contestants anymore. That's why I feel the change has come. Otherwise I do stand by the belief that he is the most impartial one.
And ya maybe you're right about the cutting the weeks thing....I guess you've got a lot more knowledge about dance than me so you don't find anything new...Embarrassed But ya I guess for example Alisha's dance (the mithunda one) included her past steps which I was sort of dissapointed to see since I've only seen Remo do that with Prince. But looking at last week I thought Terrence's choreography was really creative! This week maybe not so much I do agree with you there. I just meant as in overall looking at all of DID.

Remo is trying hard to be the last man standing. Some of his dance routines look like they ran out of gas. There's no fizz anymore. That WOW factor is missing since quite some time now.

Ya...I think they're all trying to be the last man standing.....but I did think his butterfly concept was really innovative. Dancing wise it could've been a little better but concept wise it was really innovative I thought. Embarrassed

The less said about Geeta, the better. She's totally out of her league now. She has nothing, I repeat nothing, new to offer.

LOL totally agree with you there! She really does not add anything to the show at this point. I think she's already given all she had to offer.

This is not a knock on the contestants. They are all very good. In fact all of the top 10 were very good. But there's only so much you can do with the variety you have been offered.

O ya for sure...def. agree with you there. That's why I feel it's also up to the mentors to bring out the best in the contestants. In that way I think Terrence has displayed the most versatality.

I am getting a feeling that the stage (with the staircase and the "rooftop") is constraining the contestants. It's like a box. All the contestants look boxed.

I beg to differ here actually....I think the stage has SO much scope...the stairs, the going down hole thingy etc....there's so much you can do with that....but I guess maybe that's what you mean? That it's too much? So the choreos feel like they have to use all of that fancy stuff so it restrains them from showing actual proper dancing? Ya that's a really good point actually now that I think about it. It's hard to use up all of the stage...

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by cute2stay

Originally posted by hindu4lyf

ROFL Abey teri toh! Sudhar jaa beta! Mera majaak udaying? Shocked LOLLOL
LOL yaar....just couldn't resist typing all of it out...not really worked hard or anything....avin...lol.
sabh yahi bolte hain, 2pg essay likthe hain (just like me lol) aur phir bolte hain..arre it only took me 2 minsShockedLOLnoo noo, me not mazaak udafyinggTongue

You could totally become a writer! LOL it's good for this world if I don't become a writer yaar trust me...sabki bhalayi isi mein hai. TongueLOLnooo i'm sure you'd make a great book if you wrote about the one and only..terence!EmbarrassedWinkhehe Analysis is done really well, Terence has def. been the most unbiased. For me, from being a mr. i-don't-know-who-you-are-and-where-you-came-from, he became someone I really respect and look up to! People can laugh all they like about the way he nitpicks certain points, but he's the only judge to give contructive criticism. e.g. his advice to sunita that if she wants to lift herself with ease, then she should work out on the bottom half :) but remo would just be like, sorry you did the same last week-not really how to improve the performance in any way! Terence actually does listen carefully to what the other 2 say and incorporate their criticism in to his next dances. Probably one of the best recent choreographers in India!

I so agree with you! I really respect Terrence too. Embarrassed Ya I loved the way he corrected Sunita without embarrassing her or anything. O and ya good point he def. does work hard to correct his weaknesses and improve his dancers as well as his own choreography.
 Aur sunita gym jaake so gayiConfusedLOLuff!

SO TRUE! My thoughts exactly about guru's personality affecting their students. Prince is def. a junior Remo....and the thing is...he's at that age too where he can change his personality based on who he looks up to na? Whereas Salman is older so he can still avoid it. That's what I like about Terrence, it seems like he aims to not only develop his students in terms of dance but also make them grow as a good human being as well. But ya I just wish for Prince and Salman (and others)...he would've allowed them to try different types of dance...he plays it safe I feel for his own benefit maybe? Embarrassed
No doubt remo played it safe throughout the whole show with prince. I hope he doesn't turn into remo when he grows older! But I wish him every bit of success cos he rocks in what he does. I will say one thing though, prince may just be the prince of LP but it realllyy made me happy that in DID Limelight he said, "I wanna learn all the dancing styles till I am 20, I wanna be known as the king of all dances, and not just oneClap" It's great to see he's opening himself up and knows a sucessfull dancer/choreographer knows all types of dances not just one. :)

I'm actually the opposite....I liked Geeta alot earlier on and I was like yay girl power and all...lol but now I really don't see anything special in her at all. She's just ordinary with her dancing style and as a mentor. Anyways but ya it's cute that Siddesh calls her maa although I always get this feeling that he'd much rather be on Remo's team....as we saw in yesterday's episode as well na?

Yes he yearnss to hear good comments from remo and he is usually heartbroken when he doesn't get good comments from him and it totally shows on his face. Mandakini too wanted to be in Terence's team and bechari when she got the chance, she got eliminatedOuchI wish siddesh all the best and really hope he gets his break real soon!

Yep *high five* agree with you on that one!

Aww thanks so much for your comment yaar! I thought mera topic kitna boring hai ki koi reply nahin karna chahta....lol tune meri laaj rakhlii!! LOLLOL bahaut bahaut dhanyawaad apka jee. EmbarrassedLOLLOL
Awwww!HugHugNo problemo! I really liked your topic, different from the usual 'whose your fav.judge?' topics =)

3 cheers for terence! XD
hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:42pm | IP Logged
Oh and can I just say, if we all watch DID limelight then most of the ppl working with contestants at that time are assistant choreographers and they too should get their due whereas mentors usually take all the credit! In salman's rehearsal, there was a guy there helping him out, always been the same with siddesh too and that's pretty obvious cos obv Geeta can't do LP, Hip Hop etc! So hats off to the guys behind the scene who helps the judges do their job! :)
rekhab25 Goldie
rekhab25
rekhab25

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 4:49pm | IP Logged

i don't watch this show that much so can't really say.

Go to top