Is Bella Swan an anti-feminist heroine? - Page 6

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 14 years ago
Aren't we all masochists and sadists in our own way? Maybe not the sexual sense, but I do feel we are all masochists/sadists up to a certain level.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: PhoeniXof_Hades

I am with you.

However, your point of view seems to have changed a lot. Remember how you defended Twilight when I attacked Meyer's incapability in writing?

Yes and no.

My first perspective was based off the movie and it has definitely changed a bit since I read the books. However, my change is more in the characterizations. The movie was a good popcorn romance, but the book characters make it excruciatingly frustration.

I would never defend the technical aspects of Meyer's writing. Based on excerpts and feedback I have always stated she is a very poor writer. It is way too simplistic at a very elementary level. She writes like a teenager who learns a new word and wants to use it in some random sentences. Ostentatious anyone?  Her plot is also weak and lacks intricacy and development compared to other writes.

Yet at the same time, I have stuck by the fact that while one may be able to dissect the writing – the quality of a book cannot be gauged by technicalities alone. The quality of a good book sometimes lies solely in the enjoyment of its readers.

Despite my criticism of Twilight, I did not hate the book. Heck, I'd rather have Twilight than some of the Jane Austen romances. And if I were to pick a book to travel with I would pick Twilight over the LOTR series (although my latest craze for light as well as great reading is Bill Bryson's works). As a matter of fact even though I consider Tolkien one of the finest fantasy fiction writers – I would not pick up one of his books again unless I was feeling thirsty to accomplish some super task. And I would pick TinTin or Asterix or Dr. Seuss over books anyday.

A book sometimes is all about what the reader enjoys. In that aspect Stephanie Meyer has created a masterpiece. She has recreated a romance envisioned by millions of teenage girls across the world. She has created the man, women of all ages fantasize about. Edward is just the heady mixture of stunning looks and 'dazzling' personality that women want to get intoxicated with. She presents the perfect escapist fantasy of true love, soul mates, unconditional love and giving it all for love. There is a huge market for that kind of stuff – and I cannot deny her genius in tapping them. She is like a pied piper leading hoardes of women (and the romantic men) over the cliff like lemmings.

I'd have to say my critique is more towards the followers than Meyer herself. We all have our escapist fantasies – but how can a sensible human mind lap up Twilight so easily is beyond me. I guess part of the answer is in the paragraph above. Even those women who are head over heels in love with Edward know that if some guy in real life watched them through their windows, constantly reminded them of their weaknesses and played games of physical proximity and distance – they would brand him as trouble. Despite all that how could you love the book so much.

My problem with Twilight has and perhaps always will be the fans. I stick by the fact that it is not a bad book. It's a decent read. But not worth the insane hype that it gets.

Sometimes, I am deviously tempted to start obsessing over Jane Austen and keep going – OMG Mark Darcy! OMG Mark Darcy! OMG Mark Darcy! Especially when Mark Darcy hunts zombies.

*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
^ Edward Cullen is no match for Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy. I am in awe of his character. The problem with Edward Cullen is that Meyers wants to portray him as perfect, something that to me personally, is disgusting. Mr. Darcy is the aloof romantic hero of the past because he's perfectly imperfect, and you can't help but love him. Edward Cullen, on the other hand, is disgustingly "perfect", per Meyer's definition. Its annoying.

And on top of that Bella makes me cringe - she's so selfish, reckless, and immature.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6