Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 27

Fair-n-luvly

IF-Sizzlerz

Fair-n-luvly

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 11:08am | IP Logged
ignore*

Edited by mahikhan - 18 May 2009 at 11:09am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "It's okay to slap your wife (Page 7)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Fair-n-luvly

IF-Sizzlerz

Fair-n-luvly

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 11:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Originally posted by DM01

I never said that, and I think I didn't make myself clear enough in the last post.  There is no unanimous consensus on Sharia in the Islamic community, what we have are different interpretations of Sharia, no interpretation is more "correct" or "incorrect" than another, because all interpretations are derived from the same sources.

Perhaps, but interpretation is the key. You can interpret the scripture one way and deny the teachings of that faith. I can interpret it another way and believe upon its teachings. So I think that there is a 'correct' and an 'incorrect' interpretation - what is my interpretation may not be your's.

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great." - Quran 004.034

Like I said, women were considered more like slaves in those times.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they should be treated like that then. And it doesn't mean that just because it was done then it is permissible in the religion.

Common sense takes a back seat when it comes to religion.  The problem with faith in a God that dictates how humans should live and how they should be governed, is that it produces societies like Saudi Arabia.

If people really started applying common sense to religion, then more and more people will start leaving
religion, but unfortunately, years and years of religious indoctrination is very hard to break.

Perhaps, but Saudi Arabia should not symbolize Islam. Islam is a separate entity of its own - Saudi Arabia hides under Islam's veil --- many of their practices are culture and not religious as they claim it to be.

If people start applying common sense to religion, this world will be a better place. It is because people think common sense and religion can't go hand in hand that we have the occurrence of such events.

well said gal...well saidClap

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by DM01

Interpretation is subjective, so you may feel that someone else's interpretation is 'wrong', while they'll think that they are 'right' and your'e 'wrong', so what seems like the 'correct' interpretation to you, will not necessarily be the 'correct' interpretation to others.

Exactly my point. Therefore, if I don't agree with someone else's interpretation, it is because I think that there is something wrong with it, therefore it is not the "correct" interpretation. I don't see what the argument here is. Agreed that interpretations are subjective, therefore how one interprets any religious scripture is subjective. But even subjectivity uses common sense, correct? Or is that subjective too? Wink

Well the verse clearly states that you can beat your wife under certain circumstances, so beatings are made permissible by the Quran

It does not clearly state anything. The biggest problem with religious scriptures is that they were written in different languages, and not English. The verse that you picked out is one of the most controversial pieces of text. It is said that although the arabic word is translated to mean "beat", it does not imply the same connotation in Arabic. You will laugh if I tell you that it also implies a "light touch" ---- where you can again argue that a man is perhaps able to "lightly beat" his wife --- but again that is all subjective. You can interpret the text however you want to, it is the intentions that are noteworthy, not the interpretation. I don't think that such scriptures can be taken for literal meanings, the language, the wording, it is so complex that word-for-word interpretations and translations cannot be made. However, arguments can be made on all sides, and I can see that people are going to argue for no reason no matter what.

As long as people think religion is a personal affair, then sure it won't cause a problem, but when people start thinking that they are chosen by God to rule the world and want everyone to adopt their ways, then we'll have problems,

So who's doing that? Who in the present day claims to be chosen by God? Who's forcing their religion upon you? I don't get it, this argument is condeming religion as an institution rather than actually responding to the original topic. If you have a problem with present day faiths, then don't believe upon them, but just remember that even no religion is a religion of its own. Wink

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Innocent02

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 12:22pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sandya_rao7

y is it ok if religion is a personal thing. after all man is a social animal we live in society. if i am staying a society and my neighbour beats his wife and terms it correct , then i am setting up a wrong example. next day these same things will happen in my house also.

and another think abt interpretations is there cannot be smoke without fire. if DM is quoting so many verses no matter from which sourse and people are practising them, then conclusion can only be that all this is written.

i am not saying all muslims sld follow them or are following but i think its written in the books.

Oh my dear, there are several things that are written in the books, like equality for women, women rights, the ability to drive, the ability to function as an individual, let's ask Saudi Arabia to obey that text first, before they start taking one line in the Quran as evidence for the permission of domestic violence.

That piece of text that is quoted again and again is the first thing that comes up when someone types domestic violence in Islam into google, I am not a scholar to interpret texts like that, but there are many interpretations available, many different angles presented in this controversy, it is very clear who simply read the first hit and decided to make an argument out of it.

angelic_devil

IF-Rockerz

Requested selfban

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 12:38pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 1:50pm | IP Logged

u mean polygamy is also not allowed in islam? and its right?

I'm sorry, but what does polygamy have anything to do with this? We are discussing this occurrence of domestic violence are we not? Then what does polygamy have anything to do with this? Or has this topic now turned into a "A cry against Islam?"

I'd be happy to have a discussion with you on that, but here is not the place. You are free to hold whatever impressions that you have of any religion. But just remember that these are people's beliefs that you are questioning.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 7:30pm | IP Logged

y is it ok if religion is a personal thing. after all man is a social animal we live in society. if i am staying a society and my neighbour beats his wife and terms it correct , then i am setting up a wrong example. next day these same things will happen in my house also.

and another think abt interpretations is there cannot be smoke without fire. if DM is quoting so many verses no matter from which sourse and people are practising them, then conclusion can only be that all this is written.

i am not saying all muslims sld follow them or are following but i think its written in the books.

There are several things written in books. Many social and religious texts were written in a time and age when society had not evolved. As a social animal the human race has evolved, our moral and social attitudes have evolved. Some texts have been discarded, some texts have been reintepreted. Every individual interprets their own belief and faith in their own way.

When a person misinterprets a text or literally follows something without giving thought to the social and moral role of a human being, then that person is inherently flawed. Text is just text.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top