Post Reply New Post

Page 26 of 27

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 21 August 2009 at 11:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Believe

I feel..our whole legal system is a revenge system...Smile
Mohammedans are allowed to marry four wives. In the world there is an equal proportion of men and women. Nw if men are going to marry four wives, then what abut those three men who will remain without wives? And if they start committing rape, is it a crime? Nizam of Hyderabad just forty years before had five hundred wives. And you want to prevent rape? Smile........

First off, Muslims should not be referred to as Mohammedans, because they do not worship Mohammad. Secondly, the current ration of men to women is one, thereby eliminating the need for polygamy. But the Quran is not based on today's ratio, but rather that of the past, when in fact, women did outnumber men. Thirdly, polygamy does not equate to rape. Neither is it a prevention of any sorts, nor a compensation for rape.

Now, coming back to the big issue of polygamy being permissible in Islam for a man. This is a issue that is raised again and again, striking controversies among the people. What is repeated over and over is that Islam encourages a man to marry multiple times. However, it is not that Islam encourages that, but rather that it allows it.

Let's look at this from a historical context. When the Quran was first introduced, many of the rich men engaged in several hundred marriages, leading extensive harems and such, without and rules or regulation. The introduction of Islam did not make this permissible, but rather restricted these men to only four wives, each of which must be treated equally.

Polygamy in the Quran is not something that men are given because they are superior or for them to utilize women as a means of pure enjoyment. Islam compels men to be the caretaker, to lead the household, and to care for the family. In the past, women were not able to support themselves, and in fact, did need a man to support her, and since there were more women then men, it makes sense for a man to be allowed to support more than one woman. Also, the Quran also recognizes each individual's sexual desires, and permits them to be able to fulfill those desires, but only through marriage.

Having said that, times have changed, and therefore the context of these situations has also evolved. The problem is that those who do not really wish to understand the religion will take things out of context and present them in a light that in fact does not make sense or seem appropriate.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-SnehaBeyond_the_VeilFair-n-luvly

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "It's okay to slap your wife (Page 26)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

souro

souro

Posted: 22 August 2009 at 9:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Secondly, the current ration of men to women is one, thereby eliminating the need for polygamy. But the Quran is not based on today's ratio, but rather that of the past, when in fact, women did outnumber men.

According to your argument it means that the book was written for that certain time and doesn't hold true for all ages.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 22 August 2009 at 10:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by souro

Secondly, the current ration of men to women is one, thereby eliminating the need for polygamy. But the Quran is not based on today's ratio, but rather that of the past, when in fact, women did outnumber men.

According to your argument it means that the book was written for that certain time and doesn't hold true for all ages.

Absolutely not. According to my argument, people need to realize that the Quran was introduced many, many years ago, and that since then, time and society have evolved. Having said that, the Quran can be (and is being) utilized in today's world as well. The basic principles of the Quran are still the same, it is how they are applied that has changed.

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 22 August 2009 at 11:40am | IP Logged

Originally posted by souro

Absolutely not. According to my argument, people need to realize that the Quran was introduced many, many years ago, and that since then, time and society have evolved. Having said that, the Quran can be (and is being) utilized in today's world as well. The basic principles of the Quran are still the same, it is how they are applied that has changed.

this is not a valid point.. census has nothing to do with polygamy...u are putting too much abilities in hands of ancient men........the only reason for polygamy according to me is producing progeny...by using different women in the mating cycle ..........so for the man and islam. they could get diversity in teh family for progeny and secondly... higher probability to get a boy with diversities... to PROTECT islam and help it grow......

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

angelic_devil

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 22 August 2009 at 1:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

this is not a valid point.. census has nothing to do with polygamy...u are putting too much abilities in hands of ancient men........the only reason for polygamy according to me is producing progeny...by using different women in the mating cycle ..........so for the man and islam. they could get diversity in teh family for progeny and secondly... higher probability to get a boy with diversities... to PROTECT islam and help it grow......

I disagree, because if that was the case then marriage wouldn't be limited to four women. Men would be encouraged to be sexually involved with as many women as possible in order to increase the population. As far as diversity go, I don't think such kind of diversity plays a role in religion.

And if that really was the case, then why did the introduction of Islam stop men from having harems filled with hundreds of women? If the whole idea of marriage is to produce progeny and to increase the Muslim population, then why would Islam limit the number of women a man can marry? I think that the purpose behind polygamy is more complex than increasing the number of progeny.

Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 22 August 2009 at 1:24pm

Beyond_the_Veil

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 22 August 2009 at 11:09pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by qwertyesque

I disagree, because if that was the case then marriage wouldn't be limited to four women. Men would be encouraged to be sexually involved with as many women as possible in order to increase the population. As far as diversity go, I don't think such kind of diversity plays a role in religion.

And if that really was the case, then why did the introduction of Islam stop men from having harems filled with hundreds of women? If the whole idea of marriage is to produce progeny and to increase the Muslim population, then why would Islam limit the number of women a man can marry? I think that the purpose behind polygamy is more complex than increasing the number of progeny.

of source WAji there is an economic limitation.. islam was not encouraging mistresses...it was defining a social system but of all religions it has the most "practical approach" though in retrospect it might sound primitive - in fact  all it was doing was recommending as many women as the men could manage...to get around this limitation it also made divorces veri easy ...for that veri reason

Islam belongs to the category of religions which can be classified as those who have to constantly wage a war against conflicting values and increasing its support.. by numbers...the restlessness is veri evident in the fanaticism involved in not to relinquish control and extreme sensitivity..the role of women is too miniscule compared to establishing its supremacy...which didn't make them do hair-splitting analysis of what could be potential moral implications of polygamy on the women as whole...women were their to produce the warriors needed to support these goals.....all the feminism as far as islam is concerned is all crappy unless.... somebody rewrites the evolutionary version....

its make me sad when modern inquisition hurts these simple life style and  values it propounds.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 12:05am | IP Logged
Okay. Perhaps I'm hallucinating, but I think that a few posts have mysteriously disappeared off of this page. I mean, I know that I haven't had a proper meal in the last 24 hours, but I really do think that I still hold my sanity. And that I had made quite a long response to Vinu's reply to my reply. And now Vinu's reply is to the same post. But he already replied to that one.

I'm confuzzled. Help?

Beyond_the_Veil

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 23 August 2009 at 1:08am | IP Logged

Okay. Perhaps I'm hallucinating, but I think that a few posts have mysteriously disappeared off of this page....LOL....... I mean, I know that I haven't had a proper meal in the last 24 hours,---opppss fasting....plan to take fasting tomarrowSmile...usualy i take fasting at night....after 9pm to 7amWink.... but I really do think that I still hold my sanity....may i help u to holdTongue. And that I had made quite a long response to Vinu's reply to my reply. And now Vinu's reply is to the same post. But he already replied to that one. ---LOLLOLrlx...there s one saying...if you not able to convice people....try to confuse them....

I'm confuzzled. Help?---solution---->Finish pending dreams.... go n sleep.......Embarrassed

Post Reply New Post

Go to top