Debate Mansion

It's okay to slap your wife - Page 6

Posted: 14 years ago
y is it ok if religion is a personal thing. after all man is a social animal we live in society. if i am staying a society and my neighbour beats his wife and terms it correct , then i am setting up a wrong example. next day these same things will happen in my house also.

and another think abt interpretations is there cannot be smoke without fire. if DM is quoting so many verses no matter from which sourse and people are practising them, then conclusion can only be that all this is written.

i am not saying all muslims sld follow them or are following but i think its written in the books.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: sandya_rao7

y is it ok if religion is a personal thing. after all man is a social animal we live in society. if i am staying a society and my neighbour beats his wife and terms it correct , then i am setting up a wrong example. next day these same things will happen in my house also.

and another think abt interpretations is there cannot be smoke without fire. if DM is quoting so many verses no matter from which sourse and people are practising them, then conclusion can only be that all this is written.

i am not saying all muslims sld follow them or are following but i think its written in the books.

Oh my dear, there are several things that are written in the books, like equality for women, women rights, the ability to drive, the ability to function as an individual, let's ask Saudi Arabia to obey that text first, before they start taking one line in the Quran as evidence for the permission of domestic violence.

That piece of text that is quoted again and again is the first thing that comes up when someone types domestic violence in Islam into google, I am not a scholar to interpret texts like that, but there are many interpretations available, many different angles presented in this controversy, it is very clear who simply read the first hit and decided to make an argument out of it.
u mean polygamy is also not allowed in islam? and its right?
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

u mean polygamy is also not allowed in islam? and its right?

I'm sorry, but what does polygamy have anything to do with this? We are discussing this occurrence of domestic violence are we not? Then what does polygamy have anything to do with this? Or has this topic now turned into a "A cry against Islam?"

I'd be happy to have a discussion with you on that, but here is not the place. You are free to hold whatever impressions that you have of any religion. But just remember that these are people's beliefs that you are questioning.
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

There are several things written in books. Many social and religious texts were written in a time and age when society had not evolved. As a social animal the human race has evolved, our moral and social attitudes have evolved. Some texts have been discarded, some texts have been reintepreted. Every individual interprets their own belief and faith in their own way.

When a person misinterprets a text or literally follows something without giving thought to the social and moral role of a human being, then that person is inherently flawed. Text is just text.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Everything aside - Every man, woman and child deserves a good smack now and then. Its Ok to smack people when they deserve it, but its not Ok to abuse any person.
This content was originally posted by: return_to_hades

Everything aside - Every man, woman and child deserves a good smack now and then. Its Ok to smack people when they deserve it, but its not Ok to abuse any person.

...and who decides when a grown up deserves to be smacked?  The other grown up --- I think not.  If hubby thinks wife needs to be smacked for overspending, wife might think hubby needs to be smacked for not earning enough.  You see the complexity involved with adults smacking adults?

And again, who decides when a smack becomes abuse and when gross abuse is mere smacking?

To all participating in this debate here ---  I am not planning to turn to any religious scriptures for guidance on when to smack adults because our very own Manu Smriti has quite a reputation when it comes to the status awarded to women in ancient times.  I,for one, wouldn't be too hung up on what Qoran preaches or not preaches.  Every religion has some skeletone in the cupboard which are open to numerous interpretations.  All those who are really busy dragging in the Hadeeths and what not better take a look at their own scriptures first before casting a stone at others.

Geez, we all need to grow up so that no one can samck us and get away with it under one pretext or the other😉

When a person misinterprets a text or literally follows something without giving thought to the social and moral role of a human being, then that person is inherently flawed. Text is just text.

True that.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Gauri_3

To all participating in this debate here ---  I am not planning to turn to any religious scriptures for guidance on when to smack adults because our very own Manu Smriti has quite a reputation when it comes to the status awarded to women in ancient times.  I,for one, wouldn't be too hung up on what Qoran preaches or not preaches.  Every religion has some skeletone in the cupboard which are open to numerous interpretations.  All those who are really busy dragging in the Hadeeths and what not better take a look at their own scriptures first before casting a stone at others.

Geez, we all need to grow up so that no one can samck us and get away with it under one pretext or the other😉

We all need to grow up? Perhaps, but I think that that is also quite subjective, and open to interpretation. Would you mean grow up as in grow up enough to have common sense? Oh, but wait, having common sense calls for letting go of religion, because the two cannot walk hand in hand. Hmm, let me think, what about those who are "grown-up", yet hide under covers when things go haywire and return in new shapes and sizes hoping a new form will lead to a new identity - is that considered "grown-up" enough? I say some of these "grown-ups" still need a smacking.

@RTH- would you suggest free Smacks at your local community center every month? I'm sure we can recruit volunteers for the job.
Edited by *Woh Ajnabee* - 14 years ago

There are several things written in books. Many social and religious texts were written in a time and age when society had not evolved. As a social animal the human race has evolved, our moral and social attitudes have evolved. Some texts have been discarded, some texts have been reintepreted. Every individual interprets their own belief and faith in their own way.

so y is it that we dont accept that yes this is written in our book and it is wrong. y do we try to cover it in the wrong interpretation veil? y do we not say yes it is written and it is wrong and we do not follow it now and those who follow it need to condemned? y do we promptly take it as religious offence? if we wont analysz wht is written in our books then who will?

😊 agree