Views

Users

Frequent Posters

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago
Originally posted by: sam_84

agree with u!

bcoz if we open the book of domestic violence in USA, india where majority are non-muslims...it wud be embarassing for everybody 😆

Yeah judges in these countries are not encouraging domestic violence... how embarassing.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

The fact is One in three women may suffer from abuse and violence in her lifetime. This is an appalling human rights violation...every religion contempt these kind of acts....😊

Totally agree. 👍🏼
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail
Originally posted by: DM01

It's got everything to do with religion when a country bases its laws on religious texts.  Saudi implements sharia, some may argue that it's not actually sharia, but it is their interpretation of sharia, and sharia is based on the Quran and Hadeeths.

And the Quran does make it permissible to beat your wife under certain circumstances, let's face it, these religions were made up by people in an era where women had very little rights, and this is evident in religious scriptures.

You said it yourself - it is not sharia that makes these judgments, it is their interpretation of the scripture that makes these judgments.

And the Quran does not make it permissible for a husband to beat his wife ---- let's do a little bit of reading before we go all out and make such harsh generalizations.

As far as when these religions originated, etc., it is not the origin of the religion that matters, but rather the origin of the faith -- and that comes from within. We each have common sense implemented within our brains, I say let's use it for once.
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

I never said that, and I think I didn't make myself clear enough in the last post.  There is no unanimous consensus on Sharia in the Islamic community, what we have are different interpretations of Sharia, no interpretation is more "correct" or "incorrect" than another, because all interpretations are derived from the same sources.

Perhaps, but interpretation is the key. You can interpret the scripture one way and deny the teachings of that faith. I can interpret it another way and believe upon its teachings. So I think that there is a 'correct' and an 'incorrect' interpretation - what is my interpretation may not be your's.

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great." - Quran 004.034

Like I said, women were considered more like slaves in those times.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they should be treated like that then. And it doesn't mean that just because it was done then it is permissible in the religion.

Common sense takes a back seat when it comes to religion.  The problem with faith in a God that dictates how humans should live and how they should be governed, is that it produces societies like Saudi Arabia.

If people really started applying common sense to religion, then more and more people will start leaving
religion, but unfortunately, years and years of religious indoctrination is very hard to break.

Perhaps, but Saudi Arabia should not symbolize Islam. Islam is a separate entity of its own - Saudi Arabia hides under Islam's veil --- many of their practices are culture and not religious as they claim it to be.

If people start applying common sense to religion, this world will be a better place. It is because people think common sense and religion can't go hand in hand that we have the occurrence of such events.

-Perilous- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
[quote]Btw, I am still baffled with your opening statement: "There is no use of common sense in Rules & guidelines set by religion", care to clarify it?

Peace.

Exactly! Being a believer, I would like to believe God gave everyone a rational brain to think, to reason, to analyze and judge, hence anyone saying anything otherwise from any religious text shouldn't be looked upon as a 'grave sin' or anything of that sort. If God wanted us to worship him like a computerized program, he would have made us that way, i.e. a robot let's say. But he didn't. As you stated God gave us a 'healthy mind' to know about all these, I think it is quiet okay to analyze religious texts. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and as far as I am aware of, God loves the one who searches for knowledge, than them who embrace blind faith[/quote]

I read your point of view regarding the faith, believe and about the way to follow religion....why its difficult for you to understand the above statement given by me..... ?

Majority of the muslims believe to follow thee commandments of Almighty Allah blindly b/c we belive that the book(Quran) of my Allah is the only book on the earth which give us the guidelines to humanity with the help of the life of my Nabi(saw) or ahaadees to build the character, society, ethics, country law etc etc...for us all aspect of life are associated with the Quran and Hadees...

What your mind says about the changing of day into night and night into day? What common sense say about the development of a baby by the small drop of water inside the mother? wht science say about the growing of plants from the hard surface?
_Angie_ thumbnail

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great." - Quran 004.034

Like I said, women were considered more like slaves in those times.

The bolded parts can have different interpretations !  & what happens when women R maintainers & spend from their property? R they permitted to slap the men in that case? Does Quran mention anything about that or did such a situation not exist back then when it was written. If that is the case then it shows that the religious scriptures can get outdated & need to have fresh editions keeping with the present context & times.
ammygurl thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
it is not okay to slap ur wife....no way...criminal offence

ignore*
Edited by mahikhan - 14 years ago
well said gal...well said👏
*Woh Ajnabee* thumbnail

Interpretation is subjective, so you may feel that someone else's interpretation is 'wrong', while they'll think that they are 'right' and your'e 'wrong', so what seems like the 'correct' interpretation to you, will not necessarily be the 'correct' interpretation to others.

Exactly my point. Therefore, if I don't agree with someone else's interpretation, it is because I think that there is something wrong with it, therefore it is not the "correct" interpretation. I don't see what the argument here is. Agreed that interpretations are subjective, therefore how one interprets any religious scripture is subjective. But even subjectivity uses common sense, correct? Or is that subjective too? 😉

Well the verse clearly states that you can beat your wife under certain circumstances, so beatings are made permissible by the Quran

It does not clearly state anything. The biggest problem with religious scriptures is that they were written in different languages, and not English. The verse that you picked out is one of the most controversial pieces of text. It is said that although the arabic word is translated to mean "beat", it does not imply the same connotation in Arabic. You will laugh if I tell you that it also implies a "light touch" ---- where you can again argue that a man is perhaps able to "lightly beat" his wife --- but again that is all subjective. You can interpret the text however you want to, it is the intentions that are noteworthy, not the interpretation. I don't think that such scriptures can be taken for literal meanings, the language, the wording, it is so complex that word-for-word interpretations and translations cannot be made. However, arguments can be made on all sides, and I can see that people are going to argue for no reason no matter what.

As long as people think religion is a personal affair, then sure it won't cause a problem, but when people start thinking that they are chosen by God to rule the world and want everyone to adopt their ways, then we'll have problems,

So who's doing that? Who in the present day claims to be chosen by God? Who's forcing their religion upon you? I don't get it, this argument is condeming religion as an institution rather than actually responding to the original topic. If you have a problem with present day faiths, then don't believe upon them, but just remember that even no religion is a religion of its own. 😉