Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

the_Naked_face

IF-Rockerz

Posted: 12 May 2009 at 7:58am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Exams - how reliable are they?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

souro

souro

Posted: 13 May 2009 at 2:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rage-Of-Angels

'''''Waves'''''''''

Im sure all of us have sat exams at some point in our lives, let it be standard grades exams, Highers or University levels etc, but exactly how can exams be reliable? and do you believe exams are getting easier by the day? One or two hour tests taken in silence have been consistently questioned by some as having little or no bearing on real life situations in the modern world. Students with photographic memories fly through, whilst most, in their nervousness, have a much more uncertain and not always predictable outcome and might be capable of  more than they produce on the paper.

Yes, true... in India atleast exams are more a test of how good your memory is. In higher level professional courses, the exams usually try to test your ability to apply theoretical knowledge in real life situations. But even in that if students deviate from the steps prescibed in the text book and tries to be innovative, then they may not find the marks to be very impressive. So, essentially it still remains a test of how well you remember the theory and your ability to interject the real life terms given in the question in between that theoretical answer.

One question, i assume a very few students actually study for the pleasure of it...im pretty sure most of us cram everything in the last few days, and after a few weeks/months the materials are forgotten, question how reliable is exams then? do you think other process could be used to test understanding/knowledge/intelligence? if so what? okay ive realized its more than just one question now. LOL
I certainly never studied for pleasure except for a few subjects. But I agree with you, people who study for pleasure remembers, those like me who studies only for exams forgets as soon as the exams are over. My mom who had to study against odds (bcos my grandmom was not very keen about girls getting much education) still remembers everything even poems, what notes teachers gave in the class, right from class 1 or 2 to her honours classes, I can never even think of remembering so much school work. Confused

Edit: For those taking their exams, Good luck! For those who are finished...Enjoy Flying! Whistles!

I am in the second category since 2007. Big smile

Xoxo

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 13 May 2009 at 11:33pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Rage-Of-Angels

'''''Waves'''''''''

Im sure all of us have sat exams at some point in our lives, let it be standard grades exams, Highers or University levels etc, but exactly how can exams be reliable? and do you believe exams are getting easier by the day? One or two hour tests taken in silence have been consistently questioned by some as having little or no bearing on real life situations in the modern world. Students with photographic memories fly through, whilst most, in their nervousness, have a much more uncertain and not always predictable outcome and might be capable of  more than they produce on the paper.

When I was in India, I was a pretty average students. I actually had a few epic fails during my school years in Math and Chem. I just passed English in SSC with 36/100. In the United States I am an acer and even have had semesters of 4.0 GPA. I think I must be bipolar.

One question, i assume a very few students actually study for the pleasure of it...im pretty sure most of us cram everything in the last few days, and after a few weeks/months the materials are forgotten, question how reliable is exams then? do you think other process could be used to test understanding/knowledge/intelligence? if so what? okay ive realized its more than just one question now. LOL
Studying actually turns me on. It is the most bizarre thing ever.

Edit: For those taking their exams, Good luck! For those who are finished...Enjoy Flying! Whistles!

Xoxo

Back in high school hated exams. I would even break into sweats and fevers over it. Now I like exams just for the kicks of it. I think I cannot handle pressure.

I think exams are very important to evaluate the skill levels and aptitude of students. An education system should be designed to learn and sharpen necessary skills, focus on improving weaknesses and steer people towards their aptitudes and abilities. They are not about if you are smart or not, but really a test of what you are and not able to do. I think some teachers and schools have a natural knack for setting challenging curriculum and tests and others just make it a game of memory. 

casper2

Goldie

casper2

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 11:26pm | IP Logged
its just a way of selecting few as there R so many in the queue.

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 17 May 2009 at 1:05am | IP Logged
Sure, the institution of exams is reasonable and necessary. But no SAT score is going to tell me what I can or cannot do in life.

Sometimes I think that I should've actually studied for the SAT and improved my fairly decent score to an Ivy-League standard, other days I say Harvard can kiss my butt.

Let's see then what the MCAT brings.

premsONLYmine

Goldie

premsONLYmine

Posted: 24 May 2009 at 6:30am | IP Logged
sats are imporatant i our lifes coz it helps us to go uni go to jobs..........etc

rogna

IF-Rockerz

rogna

Posted: 29 May 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged
not as reliable as most people think, but exams have been part of human communities since a long time, and i don't think there are many alternatives to exam out there which would be more reliable.

NaughtySon

NaughtySon

Posted: 08 June 2009 at 1:06am | IP Logged
Yes, I agree that most students dislike exams. I also agree that there can be better ways ot testing the knowledge and intelligence levels of school and college students. A reform in the right direction is always welcome. Thanks.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top