Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 1

cdesai12

Goldie

cdesai12

Posted: 26 October 2005 at 10:54am | IP Logged
Southward bound with Priyadarshan
By IndiaFM News Bureau, October 26, 2005 - 23:19 IST
When Hulchul hit the bull's-eye on 26th November last year, he popped champagne and called it a hat-trick! David, you can continue with your corny wisecracks but don't mind, Priyadarshan happens to be the official comedy king of Bollywood.

But this time he isn't offering you a riot, instead, Priyan insists you bring in this Diwali with Salman and Kareena and their hankie-wringer, Kyon Ki…Check out what the prolific maker has to say and decide if you want to be part of what he calls his best effort till date!

Laughs n Tears

You kickstarted your Hindi cinema career with emotional weepies like Muskurahat but the Bollywood box office still recognizes you as the maker of ticklers like Hungama, Hulchul and Hera Pheri. That brings us to the question, what is Kyon Ki all about? "Well, Kyon Ki is bigger than my comedies. It is far more emotional in that sense. Also, I did like to believe that Kyon Ki is very sensitive compared to my other films"

Kyon Ki it's a rare title…

The title is unconventional; it's uncommon. And when we talked to Salman, he apparently isn't too fond of it. "Is it so? I am not aware of this. He said nothing to me. My criteria for choosing the title was the story. Kyon Ki dictated that I not use any of the done titles. See, Kyon Ki has a bit of everything. It's emotional, has a dry sense of humor, is dramatic, so I didn't want a title that was overtly romantic, or overtly funny. Hence the title, 'Kyon Ki', because it keeps you guessing just like the film.

Salman- the superstar!

How was it to work with Salman? He supposedly had problems with your shooting schedules. "First the title, now the shoot, you make it sound as if I got him to do the film at gunpoint!" Priyan teases us. "Anyways, see, I have earlier worked with Akshay, Suniel, Akshaye Khanna but Salman is first superstar I worked with. He like Shahrukh has a tremendous mass appeal. And it was great working with him!

Morning blues…

As far as the shoot timings go, yes, Salman isn't much of a morning person. But then I sat him down and explained that there was a certain look and feel I wanted for the film. And that was possible only if we stuck to the early morning shoots. Once he was convinced about that, there was no looking back. He would be on set with makeup on at 7 am! Salman pampered me as a director!

Mohanlal v/s Salman?

I have been fielding this question about Kyonki being a copy of my Malayalam hit, Talavettam for quite some time now. But let me tell you, that isn't the case. 50 % of the film has been re-tailored. The entire screenplay has been re-written. We have started from scratch. Also, I made the Malayalam film 20 years back. Kyonki has been re-structured to suit the modern-day sensibilities. So let's not draw comparisons between Mohanlal and Salman.

My Lucky Mascot…

Yes, I earlier worked with Kareena in Hulchul and she was lucky for me. Hulchul was the biggest hit of 2004. I gel with her very well. So when it came to casting for Kyonki, I didn't have to look elsewhere, I knew it had to be Kareena. Besides, I required a mature actor with a young face for the role, Kareena was the answer.

Rimii…the cameo girl

Here again, the role decided her choice. She has a tiny role in the film but the role is so pivotal that without her, the film cannot move ahead" Rimii is also proving to be your lucky charm too, huh? She's going to be seen in Garam Masala too, right. "That you'll have to check out for yourself. But yes she is a good actor and since I launched her in Hungama, I share a special bond with her"

Kyonki…music hit hain!

Himesh has scored some great music for your film, "Music is a very integral part of Kyonki…It takes the film forward, hence, the need for a strong score. The film is a musical too somewhere. Like I told you, Kyonki is an all-encompassing film"

Shoot the climax first?

Do you really do that? "Eh, hmm…yes, I have done that for a couple of films where the climax is very complicated. I like to rid myself of the burden. But with Kyon Ki… it hasn't been the case. I think it's among my best works"

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Southward bound with Priyadarshan" in Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top