Perfect Berry Shortcakes
Joined: 17 April 2005
Posted: 08 May 2009 at 4:33am
| IP Logged
Perfect Berry Shortcakes
- For shortcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose bleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, frozen
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 1/2 cup cold half-and-half
- To assemble:
- 1 (16 ounce) package unsweetened frozen raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or strawberries, thawed and crushed
- 12 ounces fresh raspberries, blackberries or blueberries (rinsed and patted dry), or strawberries (hulled and sliced)
- 7 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 425 degrees. Mix flour, salt, baking powder and 3 Tbs. sugar in a medium bowl. Grate 2 Tbs. of the butter on the coarse holes of a box grater into dry ingredients; toss to coat. Repeat grating and tossing with remaining butter. Combine egg and half-and-half; pour into flour mixture. Toss with a fork to form large clumps. Lightly press clumps into a ball; add a teaspoon more half-and-half to the bowl if dough won't come together.
- Turn dough onto work surface; press into an 8-by-4- to 5-inch rectangle. Cut into 6 squares, placing them 1 inch apart on a small baking sheet. (Can be refrigerated up to 2 hours before baking.) Before baking, brush tops with optional egg white for a particularly attractive sheen. Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbs. sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool until warm, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix thawed and fresh berries with sugar in a bowl; let stand until sugar dissolves. With a hand mixer, beat cream to soft peaks, gradually adding 1 Tb. sugar, then vanilla.
- Split each cake crosswise; spoon a portion of berries over each cake bottom, then a dollop of whipped cream over berries. Cap with cake top and serve immediately.
The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:
Go to top
, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Perfect Berry Shortcakes
" in Food, Drinks & Recipes
forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW
||The Perfect egg omlette
||01 March 2008 at 11:18pm
By Guardian Angel
Forum Quick Jump
Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted
Join India-forums Today!
Be the part of India's biggest discussion portal.
Itís easy to Join and itís free.
Here's why members would love to be a part of India-Forums.com:
- Interact with more then 650000+ members from all over the world.
- Missed your favorite show? Read our Daily updates on different shows.
- Get the videos of all your favorite shows.
- Read the reviews of the latest movie released.
- Know more about your favourite celebrity.
- Get the latest news on bollywood and telly world.
Register now while itís free!
Already a member? Close this window and log in.