Food, Drinks & Recipes

FDR: Handy Kitchen tips!

ananyacool thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

This is a collection of 'Handy' tips which can be used in the Kitchen to make cooking easier and better! All ardent  foodies are requested to contribute any tips known to them. 😊

To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.

Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers. Just slice and rub raw potato on the stains and rinse with water.

When peeling garlic, oil your fingers a little bit; the skin will be off in a giffy!

To prevent egg shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling.

To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room temperature & roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing.
     To easily remove burnt-on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on stovetop-skillet will be much easier to clean.
     When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead-no white mess on the outside of the cake.
     If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a peeled potato-it absorbs the excess salt for an instant fix up.
     Brush beaten egg white over pie crust and the pastry puffs before baking to yield a beautiful glossy finish.
     Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it back up.
    When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn's natural sweetness.
     To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh-if it rises to the surface, throw it away.
    Place  a mini marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.
    When you cut a lime or any other sour fruit/vegetable, make sure you wash the knife after the job is done, this way you'll ensure that the knife's sharpness is long lived.
    When peeling garlic, oil your fingers a little bit; the skin will be off in a giffy!
    Store ginger in a freezer to prevent it from catching fungus (storing in a refrigerator will not help) and when you want to use it in cooking ,grate it; this way you'll get the most of it.
    Always fry onions in a little oil and then grind. Raw onion paste will turn bitter immediately!
  1. Hate bitter gourd/Karela? I think most of us do so reduce its bitterness, Keep the Karela in water and add a pinch of salt in it for 1/2 hour to remove the bitterness of it!
Edited by ananyacool - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sitakshii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
oh wow ananaya those r really cool kitchen tips !!! 😃Edited by sita11 - 14 years ago
nulz thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Thanks ananyacool 👏 .. Those kitchen tips are really helpful 😊

princezna thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Wow great tips.......... thnx for sharing.......
-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
I knew some of them, but others are certainly handy tips!! I'll remember them next time I cook.

Thanks for sharing them!

-Mahi
soul76 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank you for these wonderful kitchen tips.
IBserenity thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
hm some of them i knew...some of them i wont use....some of them are quite helpful =)
ananyacool thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Thank you all!
Here are a few more:
  1. To avoid milk sticking to bottom of utensils while boiling, add sugar into it
  2. Rub a little oil on the rim of the container, the milk won't overspill while boiling!
  3. To store chilli powder longer, Keep  pieces of asafoetida and rock salt in the same container.
  4. To keep cauliflower white while cooking -add a little milk to the water.
  5. A bay leaf added to the flour container will keep the flour free from moisture.

More follows....

(the handy tip series is an excerpt from numkitchen.com)
Jenifer. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you. Some of them I know but others, they're really helpful. Especially the kerela one.
ammygurl thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
awwwww...thnks...mom ko bata dunngi..to she will b happy..:)